Crankshaft washer off center?

-

JAndrea

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm building a 383. I've just torqued down the crankshaft to 135 lbs. I then noticed that The crankshaft bolt washer is slightly off center. Will this have any effect on the rotating balance?

IMG_6555.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe up around 60,000 rpm’s.
That little bit shouldnt make a difference. I wonder about these things too, like putting hubcaps on a car,i have never seen one balanced.
Centre hole in washer must be over sized, would explain the eccentricity.

Doesent the belt drive pulley go under the washer? Has a shoulder to center washer?
Grasping at straws here.

Doesent the belt drive pulley go under the washer? Has a shoulder to center washer?
Grasping at straws here.
Oh Christ... you are probably right. I don't have the pulleys yet.

Last edited:
Oh Christ... you are probably right. I don't have the pulleys yet.

I don't think the pulleys have a locating area for that, but it won't make one bit of difference if the washer is off that much.
AS LONG AS YOU ARE SURE IT'S THE WASHER AND NOT A MISDRILLED BALANCER.

I wanted to make sure you saw that part. :D

I don't think the pulleys have a locating area for that, but it won't make one bit of difference if the washer is off that much.
AS LONG AS YOU ARE SURE IT'S THE WASHER AND NOT A MISDRILLED BALANCER.

I wanted to make sure you saw that part. :D
Always something. By the time I'm done building anything, I usually could have built three of them because I have to take it back apart so many times. I'm assuming I'm not alone on this, so whatever. Thanks for the tips all!

Four times. Put together take apart. Four times. Thats how it seems with me.

Always something. By the time I'm done building anything, I usually could have built three of them because I have to take it back apart so many times. I'm assuming I'm not alone on this, so whatever. Thanks for the tips all!

FWIW, you are NOT alone....and just for the record, I don't get real happy about it either when it happens to me. But, it's part of getting out there and actually trying to do something constructive so I just do whatever has to be done to make it right and continue on. Don't let it get ya down.

Definitely odd looking. The crank pulley goes around that washer, not under it ... the I.D. should be slightly larger than the O.D. Of that washer ...

Whats up with that bolt? The real bolt is a grade 5 1-1/4 hex. and the pulley centers on the balancer register, not the washer.
017-mopar-383-crank-damper.jpg

So...... why not loosen the bolt, re center the washer and re torque? Is that the factory washer? Fairly certain it would have been hardened.

Maybe up around 60,000 rpm’s.
That little bit shouldnt make a difference. I wonder about these things too, like putting hubcaps on a car,i have never seen one balanced.
Centre hole in washer must be over sized, would explain the eccentricity.

Agree that the small offset so close to center wouldn't effect balance.
I don't know if that's OEM bolt and washer nor do I know if the pulley would help hold the washer centered while tightening.
I have some hubcaps here that have OEM balance weights on them. These are the 3 piece mag looking hubcaps from a Fury. The heavy caps that would easily leave the car LOL

Agree that the small offset so close to center wouldn't effect balance.
I don't know if that's OEM bolt and washer nor do I know if the pulley would help hold the washer centered while tightening.
I have some hubcaps here that have OEM balance weights on them. These are the 3 piece mag looking hubcaps from a Fury. The heavy caps that would easily leave the car LOL
Should be a fitted washer to the bolt, not that much play. If ur washer actually fits that crank bolt, it looks like e mis-machined cheap balancer to me ! But the pulley goes over it, if the pulley fits up flush like its supposed to, I wouldn`t worry about it .

Whats up with that bolt? The real bolt is a grade 5 1-1/4 hex. and the pulley centers on the balancer register, not the washer.
View attachment 1715112701
Pulley centering over the balancer and around the washer makes sense. Good to know, thanks! The balancer and crank bolt/washer combo (grade 8) are both from 440 source. I'm building this engine from a bare block, so had zero parts or previous knowledge of how it came apart.

So...... why not loosen the bolt, re center the washer and re torque? Is that the factory washer? Fairly certain it would have been hardened.
I was mainly trying to get general ideas about how important and precise every single little thing is in this entire process. I know certain things like rotating assembly tolerances are critical, but with something like this I just wasn't sure. The balancer and crank bolt/washer (grade 8) are both from 440 Source.

The 440 balance as well as most other production V8's were ballparked at best. Just enough to make the engineers happy, then downgraded by the production cost guys to what they thought was $ acceptable, then downgraded again by the tolerances built into the balancing equipment, then downgraded for the last time by the assembly of the balanced parts by the line workers. Static balance was stacking multiple "neutral" balance items onto a crank..you add up a bunch of zeros and you get zero, right? Sure....Dynamic or 'Detroit' balance was lumping everything together and then spinning it on a balance machine noting the indifference at the degrees rotation of the crankshaft. Then they whacked off 2.2 oz at 36 degrees, etc. until it was 'within tolerance', whatever that was. Small stuff like that isnt going to break the bank on a build.

Being so small and so close to the center of rotation, it won't throw off balance by any amount that would ever matter.

I'm building a 383. I've just torqued down the crankshaft to 135 lbs. I then noticed that The crankshaft bolt washer is slightly off center. Will this have any effect on the rotating balance?
Nice to see someone that actually notices the little things like putting their stuff together. No Worries, it will be fine.

-
Back