Craziest Brake Job I have ever done

-
In Cali,turning limit is. 060" under new specs.As cheap as brake parts are now,makes no sense.

If you ever worked on cars for a living you would have seen that and worse. I've never been berated as much as by a woman whose car I refused to release after I inspected it. By law I had the right to have it towed, so I did. To get it in for the "brake inspection" I had to have the 2 other guys I worked with stop it from rolling into the tool boxes. It has NO brakes at all. One front rotor had worn like that, thru the pad backing, the piston had worn through the rotor, and had cocked in it's bore, so all the fluid came out. She wanted to drive it home and said "it just happened".

YEARS ago, about this time of year, on an equally boring, dreary afternoon, "we" were wishing winter was over at the parts store

!!!BOOM!!! a '70's Mopar comes crashing through one of the big front windows, which go down only a foot or so above sidewalk level

Some woman had crashed her Mopar right through our plate glass window. The reason she was coming to the store???

TO RETURN some BRAKE SHOE CORES on the "brake job" her husband had just...."completed"!!!!

YEARS ago, about this time of year, on an equally boring, dreary afternoon, "we" were wishing winter was over at the parts store

!!!BOOM!!! a '70's Mopar comes crashing through one of the big front windows, which go down only a foot or so above sidewalk level

Some woman had crashed her Mopar right through our plate glass window. The reason she was coming to the store???

TO RETURN some BRAKE SHOE CORES on the "brake job" her husband had just...."completed"!!!!

Now that one gave me a chuckle!:D

I had to scroll to at least the fifth picture to actually confirm that I was looking at a rotor! Thats is scary crap!

Grant

The original pictures wouldn't be a Dodge would it? I have had both front rotors do that on my Dakota, not at the same time, the last time I was going to replace the caliper too, but then realized that it was on the opposite from the last time, I wire brushed the caliper bolt real good and pust some grease on the caliper bolts.
Have seen worse, Dad had an Omni (with non vented rotors), had a caliper lock up and broke the rotor from the hat.

The original pictures wouldn't be a Dodge would it? I have had both front rotors do that on my Dakota, not at the same time, the last time I was going to replace the caliper too, but then realized that it was on the opposite from the last time, I wire brushed the caliper bolt real good and pust some grease on the caliper bolts.
Have seen worse, Dad had an Omni (with non vented rotors), had a caliper lock up and broke the rotor from the hat.

Does you Dakota suffer from the infamous "stripped threads" in the spindles too? Mine has done that twice now (on both sides). when it does that, the caliper will kick to the side when you apply the brakes, wearing the pads and rotors in a funky manner.

My solution, eventually, will be to ditch the wimpy 7.25" Front Differential, IFS and those poorly designed spindles for a Narrowtrack D44 from a Jeep Wagoneer.

1. Don't let Bro in law procreate. He can practice all he wants, but no kids.
2. Stick around long enough and that will be just another brake story amongst many.

ive seen that before also had a car come in on a hook they wore through the entire rear drum on a merc topaz..............but i was working at a ford dealership

ive seen that before also had a car come in on a hook they wore through the entire rear drum on a merc topaz..............but i was working at a ford dealership

So the horrifying part of this story is that you were working at a Ford dealership?

Mate, that just plain funny, I am going to down load it to send on over here. I have heard that things are a bit grim over there, but struth that taking getting 'bank for your buck' to the extreme.
Monaro.

You mean I need to check my brakes after they start squealing and throwing sparks? I thought the sparks were a neat new feature!!

I've seen that before, and it's just unbelievable how dumb people can be.

Kind of like continuing to drive with an oil pressure light on, never checking the oil and driving until the engine seizes... See "American Restoration" for a real life example... I think it was the last episode.

Yeah well if you had a couple of drinks and are a few miles from home, I can see folks just trying to make it home and worry about it the next day

Or they have to get to work on time, etc

If the oil light is already on, it needs to be repaired anyways, how much more damage can happen anyhow just driving another 5 mins. Its how some non car people might think

I recall the time I blew a head gasket on the freeway while having it wot and white smoke started to pour out and engine slowing down--but still had decent power. I just wanted to get out of there, lol Drove that sucker all the way home and didn't do any extra damage but if enough water got in the cylinder I could had bent a rod, blew a hole in a piston. Now oil light, that is different, ha ha but till the noise starts some folks are dumb

I blew a rod out the side of a 318 @ 65mph on the highway. No point stopping in the middle of nowhere. Got another 20miles or so to get to a place with a phone lol..

Grant

we have that dumb idiots here in Europe too... :D

I found this one on a 79 Ramcharger that i bought as a parts car here in Berlin. Pad was clear, just metal on metal...

sam0412h.jpg

If you ever worked on cars for a living you would have seen that and worse. I've never been berated as much as by a woman whose car I refused to release after I inspected it. By law I had the right to have it towed, so I did. To get it in for the "brake inspection" I had to have the 2 other guys I worked with stop it from rolling into the tool boxes. It has NO brakes at all. One front rotor had worn like that, thru the pad backing, the piston had worn through the rotor, and had cocked in it's bore, so all the fluid came out. She wanted to drive it home and said "it just happened".
i have seen worse too,17 years in chrysler dealers,before that 4 years at sears,midas,etc.the stupidity of people never stop to amaze me.....i don't miss automotive feild...

Can't tell you how many times I seen that when I was working. People would
come in saying it just started making noise.
The best one I had was missing the inside half of the rotor. Was driving it
into the shop and the pedal went to the floor. It fianlly poped the piston
out of the caliper.
It really scares me. People are really driving this stuff.

I've never seen anything that bad, close but not that far gone.:shock:

See what happens when you try to be a nice to in-laws.

makes me feel better, I had a guy hired to haul hay using my 77 3/4 T Powerwagon and when I got in truck to move it I heard it and took a look. Mine was just as bad as that and he swore he didn't know anything was wrong. Had a hard time finding hub for it but it ended his employment.

One thing you know for sure is that the radio must work great to drown out all that noise!

-
Back