Creative ideas for a trailer winch mount / battery box?

-

Alaskan_TA

Reaction score
I picked up a used car trailer & a 10,000 pound winch just happened to be on sale at Tractor Supply, so.....

Who has a tongue mounted setup to protect the winch & battery from the elements?

I saw one years ago encased in a heavy duty plastic tool box with a lid.

Pictures of what you have / have seen please?

i have a small trailer that i put a truck tool box on
that would work for you
(of course, you do need to extend the tongue out so the toolbox doesnt hit the tail end of the car)

I don't use a trailer battery. I ran "a big wire" from the front of the pickup with a solenoid up front to kill it. I could have used a manual switch, but I had the solenoid. Mount your winch on a plate with a hitch stinger and you can use it on the back of the pickup if you need to. In fact, you could put one on the front as well.

I know a guy who has repurposed a pickup side bed box to hold his winch and battery on his car trailer. Looks a lot like this one...

214F89AA-2061-49E8-8377-604D61E2B930.jpeg

4EFE63E4-9441-4903-AC99-0AC42A0A849E.jpeg

Pick up the winch mount tractor supply sells for the winches. Plastic marine battery box, deep-discharge battery.
Also the tractor supply bolt on D-rings make an easy tie-down when using the trailer for multiple hauling tasks.

EG60Hv.jpg

I welded a Reese type receiver, ( the small type that bolts under a truck bumper) to the front of my trailer. I welded a steel plate to a ball mount, and bolted my winch to that. Just insert the mount into the receiver to use it, remove it when done and put in a box made to fit on the tongue. Pretty simple really.

I don't use a trailer battery. I ran "a big wire" from the front of the pickup with a solenoid up front to kill it. I could have used a manual switch, but I had the solenoid. Mount your winch on a plate with a hitch stinger and you can use it on the back of the pickup if you need to. In fact, you could put one on the front as well.
I did the same , but just have alligator clips on the front of the cables. Hook them up when I need the winch, which aint very often .

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the tips & ideas.

I have some stuff ordered to make this happen, I'll report back when it is all installed & working.

-
Back