Crime and cost of living in your area.

-
what do you do for a living? mechanic, labore,. truck driver? post office is hiring also almost everywhere. i live in probably the worst state in america, illinois. but i am retired, house paid for, grand daughters live next door. what you do for a living might figure in to where you want to move to.
Truck Driver

My mother lives in Oceanside. Granted, it's nice being close to the beach, but north county has gotten so crowded. My family lived in Leucadia when I was a kid mid to late 60s. Our house was in the middle of the Avocado groves. I used to get paid by the neighboring avocado farmers for shootin avocado rats with my BB gun on their farms :lol: . 30 minute walk or 15 minute bike ride to the beach.
I spent a lot of time in Oceanside in the early 80's when I was stationed at Pendleton.
Sorry, I didn't consider that to be a nice place to raise kids.

Come to Rome Georgia! It's in Northwest Georgia. Average home price is $256K. Average income is $67K. Crime is something we don't really think about. Some decent size manufacturing in and around town. We have all 4 seasons.

I spent a lot of time in Oceanside in the early 80's when I was stationed at Pendleton.
Sorry, I didn't consider that to be a nice place to raise kids.
Downtown always got rowdy for sure, Marines like to drink and fight and mix in the bangers and cholos. The burbs of O side were nice when I was a kid, still nice but you gotta have millions.

Come to Rome Georgia! It's in Northwest Georgia. Average home price is $256K. Average income is $67K. Crime is something we don't really think about. Some decent size manufacturing in and around town. We have all 4 seasons.
That’s some good info right there! The 4 seasons is important to my wife and I. I’ll check it out.

Thank you! My mom and brother live in Woodland/Davis, I love the country in Nor Cal. I’ve done a lot of off roading and hiking in the Lake Berryessa area.

I really love western Washington,but I feel like I will never be able to afford a house or land. I would ideally be able to build a simple house on 5-10 acres, and work towards self sufficiency. I want to teach my children how to take care of themselves and have something to pass on to them.

Right on. There's some beautiful country out near Berryessa for sure. I loved Davis when I was living the college life there in the early 2000's. Now it's just an overpriced land of weirdos. No offense to your mother/brother. haha!

A few years ago, I feel like Idaho (Boise and suburbs) was the destination for folks looking to relocate to affordable housing. Seems like Tennessee is the new hotspot.

Last edited:
If its anything like up here in Ontario, it's a domino effect from big city down to smaller cities or village. Everyone is bailing from higher populations to smaller ones. Find a small one like Rat Bastid said that is within a commute to a decent sized city for good job. Call local Police, wouldnt the crime rate be available to the public?
Schools obviously are important also. Bussed to school?
We are in approx 2500 population . All services (garbage, recycling, municipal water and sewer, nat gas heat) and our taxes are 1/2 what they are in the city 15 minutes away.
Good luck, keep us posted. Great looking family! :thumbsup:

If its anything like up here in Ontario, it's a domino effect from big city down to smaller cities or village. Everyone is bailing from higher populations to smaller ones. Find a small one like Rat Bastid said that is within a commute to a decent sized city for good job. Call local Police, wouldnt the crime rate be available to the public?
Schools obviously are important also. Bussed to school?
We are in approx 2500 population . All services (garbage, recycling, municipal water and sewer, nat gas heat) and our taxes are 1/2 what they are in the city 15 minutes away.
Good luck, keep us posted. Great looking family! :thumbsup:
Thanks man! I can find FBI crime statistics on most towns in the US. How reliable or realistic the info is I’m not sure. It would be nice to find a rural location where the kids could bus to school.

I just want my wife and kids to feel safe in and around our home. I can’t be there to protect them while I am working. With how hard I work, and how much I pay just to live, I feel like that shouldn’t be much to ask.

I would love to visit Canada with the family. I recently found out I have family in Canada on both sides!

I'm over in Yakima (south central) Washington, if you have the ability to afford a home there's one for sale about 1 minute drive from me, I believe it has acreage too. Safety is great around here it's 8 miles out of the city.
Up here in the orchard area is beautiful we get all 4 seasons, winter and summer pretty much last the longest.

I'm over in Yakima (south central) Washington, if you have the ability to afford a home there's one for sale about 1 minute drive from me, I believe it has acreage too. Safety is great around here it's 8 miles out of the city.
Up here in the orchard area is beautiful we get all 4 seasons, winter and summer pretty much last the longest.
Do you know how much it’s going for? I’m definitely going to look your way. I love this state, it’s too bad the western part has gotten so bad.

Thank you! My mom and brother live in Woodland/Davis, I love the country in Nor Cal. I’ve done a lot of off roading and hiking in the Lake Berryessa area.

I really love western Washington,but I feel like I will never be able to afford a house or land. I would ideally be able to build a simple house on 5-10 acres, and work towards self sufficiency. I want to teach my children how to take care of themselves and have something to pass on to them.

You have to look around over here. There are places where you can still get 5 acres at a decent price.

I just drive right on through the Yakima area. lol

There is an area in IL that has the largest truck driver need in most all of the US. They have billboards up along the road that read "Owner Operators! Make $300k a year with us! We need you today!" Joliet, IL. Also Elwood, IL. Every major warehouse (think Amazon) has a million square foot+ building there & need to ship out goods right now. Do a google earth search on Centerpoint Rd in Elwood. It is truck driver heaven.

Now that is about 45 minutes out of Chicago. But (like someone said earlier) its not in the City, its pretty far away. What does that area have other than the great pay for a hard job? Average Home price is $160k. Really nice homes are $200k. Big yard. Pool (that you can only use 5 months of the year). Property taxes are the worst tho. A $200k home will be $3000-$5000 a year depending on zip code. But... Plenty of good schools.

Midwest people are generally good folk. The politics are not ideal in the big City, but can be dealt with further out. There are only two seasons, summer & winter. But bring your family (you have a great looking fam) up with Midwestern values and make a TON of money driving, then leave and take your money with you once the kids are ready to go out on their own. Crime in a city like Cole City,IL (close to truck haven) is nearly none. There are drugs looking for your kids everywhere, but at least there are not zombies in the streets of these regular MidWest locations.

Right now the truck driver pay there is strong. Take advantage - then go to the next hot spot when the mood strikes you again. You are young and have saleable youth that is valuable to many companies.

There is an area in IL that has the largest truck driver need in most all of the US. They have billboards up along the road that read "Owner Operators! Make $300k a year with us! We need you today!" Joliet, IL. Also Elwood, IL. Every major warehouse (think Amazon) has a million square foot+ building there & need to ship out goods right now. Do a google earth search on Centerpoint Rd in Elwood. It is truck driver heaven.

Now that is about 45 minutes out of Chicago. But (like someone said earlier) its not in the City, its pretty far away. What does that area have other than the great pay for a hard job? Average Home price is $160k. Really nice homes are $200k. Big yard. Pool (that you can only use 5 months of the year). Property taxes are the worst tho. A $200k home will be $3000-$5000 a year depending on zip code. But... Plenty of good schools.

Midwest people are generally good folk. The politics are not ideal in the big City, but can be dealt with further out. There are only two seasons, summer & winter. But bring your family (you have a great looking fam) up with Midwestern values and make a TON of money driving, then leave and take your money with you once the kids are ready to go out on their own. Crime in a city like Cole City,IL (close to truck haven) is nearly none. There are drugs looking for your kids everywhere, but at least there are not zombies in the streets of these regular MidWest locations.

Right now the truck driver pay there is strong. Take advantage - then go to the next hot spot when the mood strikes you again. You are young and have saleable youth that is valuable to many companies.
I’ll check it out! I’ve never been to IL, so thanks for giving me a few towns to look at.

I’ll check it out! I’ve never been to IL, so thanks for giving me a few towns to look at.
You need to get a CDL, you need to learn if you dont know already how to drive large trucks that carry heavy loads, how to drive multiple geared trucks and learn to drive tractor trailers . If you can pass a drug test and have a clean license, you will find decent paying jobs and have work
I work for a guy who has dump trucks and dump trailers, he cant find enough good competent drivers
Work in the bigger cities but live outside and close enough to commute to work
I live in a borough of NYC and its not even closely remote to what you describe about were your living now
Good luck

I like Jones County Georgia. Even though we have a Macon address, we're 20 some odd miles out of Macon. Robert "Butch" Reece is our Sheriff and he does not play around. Gray is the county seat. It's about 3K people on paper, but I suspect over 10K are working during the day. We have 6.5 acres. Property taxes about 800 a year. One of the best school systems in Georgia. It's a small town and there's no mistaking that feel. We're 30 minutes away from Macon, bout 15 or so from Gray, about 15 from Gordon and about 30 from Milledgevile. We're in a pretty rural area and really like it. Been out here 20 years this year.

I like Jones County Georgia. Even though we have a Macon address, we're 20 some odd miles out of Macon. Robert "Butch" Reece is our Sheriff and he does not play around. Gray is the county seat. It's about 3K people on paper, but I suspect over 10K are working during the day. We have 6.5 acres. Property taxes about 800 a year. One of the best school systems in Georgia. It's a small town and there's no mistaking that feel. We're 30 minutes away from Macon, bout 15 or so from Gray, about 15 from Gordon and about 30 from Milledgevile. We're in a pretty rural area and really like it. Been out here 20 years this year.
Ray Charles can’t be wrong!

Daddy always said Georgia has some of everything. Beaches, Mountains, lakes, rivers, hot summers, snow in the right places and he was right.

-
Back