Cuda REAR SHOCK MOUNTS??

-

Treblig

Reaction score
What the easiest way to tighten a loose shock mount bolt (the one mounted on the body) on a 69 Barracuda Fastback. It's the passenger side. Do I have to completely remove the floor panel???? Seems like a lot of work for such a simple problem. The car is completely assembled and used daily

Thanks,
Treblig

I cant remember what mine looks like. Its been over 10 yrs since last I was up there. I remember every other one, just not that one. Isnt that a thru-bolt and nut on the back? Or was it a stud? Hmmmmmm
-Ok I checked the service manual; and its a stud. It has nuts on both ends. So if its spinning....The manual is not detailed enough to see if the non-visible nut is under the pkg floor or just on the back of the cross-member. The seat on my fastback has been out for years- no nuts there, and they re not in the trunk, so.....
-I guess if your fingers cant find it........You might be in for some work there.

I would say remove the shock, put a double nut on, get an extra person to hold it and get in the trunk and tighten the nut on the inside of the trunk.

If your hatch and subfloor are in you may have to remove the hatch and prop the subfloor up to reach the nut on the inside.

You can see the nut in this picture. You might be able to reach in through the spare tire well with 3/4 inch socket, u-joint and long extension.

you can get your hand in through the vertical section of the subfloor from the trunk , if I remember correctly there is an arched cutout in the center of the bottom edge that you have to reach up under to get the socket on , then the subfloor keeps the socket from turning as you crank from under the car .

Thanks to everyone. Now that I see the pics with the bare floor I think I can probably get to it. I thought there was a hump in the floor that would keep me from getting to it from the rear. I remember removing some off another fastback, it's basically a stud with threads on both ends (I remember that much). The nut tightens from the inside while the outside part of the stud (where you put the shock) it has a shoulder (very short, like for a skinny or narrow wrench). I just didn't remember if you could get to it from the back in an assembled car. I will get into the trunk area tomorrow and see if there's a way to get through the metal upright section just below the wooden door hinge.
PS - I'll have to get my son to hold the nut (shoulder) under the car while I tighten the nut from the inside of the car.
thanks, again...the bare floor pics helped a lot!!!

Treblig

Well you people were correct. I'm posting the pics for anyone else who might need the info. I even managed get some pics through the large semi-circular hole where the spare sits. I had never noticed the cut out even though I know the spare sits there. The factory even made a slight (smaller) cut out on the passenger side so the extension and socket would line up properly, I guess the way the car was designed they didn't need that small cut out on the driver's side. I tightened them both while I had my son outside to hold the narrow shouldered shock bolt on the underside of the car.I also noticed that the driver's side stud/bolt (under the car) had a very large washer on the stud but the passenger's side was missing the washer. I guess whoever replaced the shocks last time forgot the washer. If you don't put the large washer on there the rubber bushing on the shock will bite into the shouldered area on the stud and the shock will never properly tighten or last as long as it should.

Thanks again,Treblig

Attachments

• DSC03984.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC03985.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03986.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC03987.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC03988.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 139
Awesome... Glad you got it fixed....

Happy Moparing...

Awesome... Glad you got it fixed.... Happy Moparing...

Yes, I'm really happy!!:blob: Thanks for posting that pic it let me see what I had to do. I thought I was going to have to pull the floor!!!

Treblig

mine doesn't have that little square out on the passenger side , thats why I do it the other way round , I put a socket and ratchet in the space and crank the stud from underneath , I think there is supposed to be big washers on both the in and out of the stud to spread the load on the steel floor and keep it from tearing out .

mine doesn't have that little square out on the passenger side , thats why I do it the other way round , I put a socket and ratchet in the space and crank the stud from underneath , I think there is supposed to be big washers on both the in and out of the stud to spread the load on the steel floor and keep it from tearing out .

Unfortunately the shoulder (nut) under the car is very narrow (shallow) and requires a thin wrench to get on it if your trying to remove the shock nut and the whole thing keeps spinning. Also the shoulder only has two (thin) flats on it and if the wrench slips a few times you might end up ruiningthe only two flats on the shoulder. Besides if you can get a socket on it from the inside then you can tighten it from the inside. I had my son hold the wrench on the outside and told him to hold one hand up against the wrench on the shoulder so it wouldn't slip. In the end if you can accomplish it one way or the other you're good!!

treblig

-
Back