Curious

-
The problem is you are not comparing apples to apples, you are looking at new technology vs old technology, of coarse it's better. So you out ran a 440 I always out ran them with my 340, people would stop and say that's got to be a hemi to there surprise it's a 340. You can't compare 40 year old with new technology, only a moron would do this and make a big deal about it. A Northstar is the most awesome motor anybody has ever built in a production car, the performance capability's are unbelievable, way better than a LS motor, to bad not enough people know this. If I put a fuel injection unit on a 340 that was set up with a mas air flow sensor, knock sensor, like a LS motor I could get the power and mileage you want, it would take some port work and some special cam design but it could be done with little effort. The problem is nobody want to do it right. All the fuel injection ad on's don't have a maf sensor and you have to use one to calculate engine load. So once again my friend you are making yourself look like most idiots in the world of cars, you don't really have a clue.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is you are not comparing apples to apples, you are looking at new technology vs old technology, of coarse it's better. So you out ran a 440 I always out ran them with my 340, people would stop and say that's got to be a hemi to there surprise it's a 340. You can't compare 40 year old with new technology, only a moron would do this and make a big deal about it. A Northstar is the most awesome motor anybody has ever built in a production car, the performance capability's are unbelievable, way better than a LS motor, to bad not enough people know this. If I put a fuel injection unit on a 340 that was set up with a mas air flow sensor, knock sensor, like a LS motor I could get the power and mileage you want, it would take some port work and some special cam design but it could be done with little effort. The problem is nobody want to do it right. All the fuel injection ad on's don't have a maf sensor and you have to use one to calculate engine load. So once again my friend you are making yourself look like most idiots in the world of cars, you don't really have a clue.
Oh I forgot to say, we built it carbed with an MSD LS controller. Cam sensor and crank sensor only. Then you program your ignition. Similar to recurving a distributor. Probably evades you. It requires a laptop. 346ci vs 440ci.North Star? Now you are showing your mechanical limits.. Nuff said.

Once again your just showing your mentality, you don't know that every high tech development is tested in a Cadillac before any other GM vehicle, magnetic ride control was first on a 2003 Seville STS before a corvette got it. You can't beat me on GM technology. I was trained at GM in Parma Ohio, I also have a degree in electronics from kent, so if you want to challenge me, whatever. You know nothing about engine technology, It requires a laptop? What a dumb *** remark, once again showing your mentality. How old are you 12? Northstar is 4.6 l that is 280 ci with a cam change, spring change, and good headers they can make 800 HP with no problem. Oh yea you probably don't know what magnetic ride control is so I will tell you, It's a shock filled with ferrofluid that has a electromagnet on it and it 's viscosity can change from a mineral oil state to a gel in 1 millisecond, that's the technology that I know how about you give me somthing technical. My mechanical limits are way past you. Go find a GM site.

Once again your just showing your mentality, you don't know that every high tech development is tested in a Cadillac before any other GM vehicle, magnetic ride control was first on a 2003 Seville STS before a corvette got it. You can't beat me on GM technology. I was trained at GM in Parma Ohio, I also have a degree in electronics from kent, so if you want to challenge me, whatever. You know nothing about engine technology, It requires a laptop? What a dumb *** remark, once again showing your mentality. How old are you 12? Northstar is 4.6 l that is 280 ci with a cam change, spring change, and good headers they can make 800 HP with no problem. Oh yea you probably don't know what magnetic ride control is so I will tell you, It's a shock filled with ferrofluid that has a electromagnet on it and it 's viscosity can change from a mineral oil state to a gel in 1 millisecond, that's the technology that I know how about you give me somthing technical. My mechanical limits are way past you. Go find a GM site.
I didn`t read all these posts. if u want to beat an ls Camaro, just build a 10 second street car !

The caddy North Star didn't survive cause it was a high maintenance pos. Go look down at your big belly and mind you own business or is every bodies business yours?

LOL, You are the one bad mouthing mopars on a mopar site.

And you my friend are too busy over estimating your knowledge and self worth. Went with my son in law today and caught a 69 440 charger that was noted to be soooo bad. Took a 92 camaro with an LS1 swap we did and a 6 speed and ate him alive 4x. Guess he couldn't admit defeat. We stopped and chatted and thought it was a bb Chevy.Imagine his surprise when he saw it wasn't.I built the LS1 and help swap it. Oh yea, he gets 20 mpg with the camaro too. I build all my engines and I'm good at it. You buddy boy are a FOOL.
better be careful, that ohio boy may come kick ur ***! LOL. wonder how many hundrerd pounds liter the Camaro was (is) than the heavy old charger!

Cuda 620 your a Chevy lover. I think the right 408 with aluminum heads and some measures to shed a little weight would walk all over your sorry heavy Camaro. Or how about a new 6.4 stuffed in a a-body- same result.

The caddy North Star didn't survive cause it was a high maintenance pos. Go look down at your big belly 20and mind you own business or is every bodies business yours?
LOL, You are the one bad mouthing mopars on a mopar site.
No I just sold my mopar cause I didn't have the heart toLS it. I thought about it many times, but just couldn't do it to her. Numbers matching, rust free with 69k miles. So I'm puttin the LS in a mustang. Daily driver ,18-20 mpg 6.2 LS3. Now I can have a clear contious if I beat a mopar,bein a past mopar guy. It's so easy to get you pansies goin on the Internet... LMAO! I just comment and go on cause I know there's nothing you can do... Even if you were standing here. LMAOx2!!

Cuda 620 your a Chevy lover. I think the right 408 with aluminum heads and some measures to shed a little weight would walk all over your sorry heavy Camaro. Or how about a new 6.4 stuffed in a a-body- same result.
Looked into the A body hemi, 5.7 ,6.1 , 6.2 and 6.4. Not worth the bang for the buck or difficulty for that matter. Actually easier to do an LS with a 2004R or a TKO600. Plus parts and cost and support.

408 in a Duster with passion 5-speed. Lighter than your Camaro and less expensive. Same power!

I'll keep that in mind if I ever wanna go down that route. I did a 408 once with a 727 but was a gas hog. Must be the 5spd. Passions expensive. What's your mileage and axle ratio? Boys camaro. Wouldn't own one. Don't have a mullet either...6.2 LS I built is supposed to be 600hp. Cam, carb,Liginfelter heads, long tubes. Easier than mopar also aluminum engine. Sorry to say it. Just saw the light when I sold my A body yesterday. Almost did the LS swap to it, but to much like sacrilege to me. So I sold it,too tempting. Not the only mopar guy to go that route. Maybe with a rougher mopar I might someday.

Last edited:
I think the question the OP is asking is pretty straightforward. Getting the 1/4 mile number to beat an LS Camaro is relatively easy. The highway MPG - not so much. He is running a '69 Dart with a 727 - 4:10 and 29" tall tires. The engine combo is a basic tried and true 496 stroker. Edelbrock RPM's out of the box, 10.5 compression pump gas friendly, Lunati big hydraulic cam, headers, Edelbrock Super Victor and a 1050 Dominator. Car runs 10.90's all day long. With a small dose of Nawss, it runs 10.20's. LS slayer....

I want my 20 minutes back. I thought someone wanted help to accomplish a certain goal. Then I realized it's just some jerk stirring the pot. Why don't you chevy idiots just go away, and build your chevy. Putting an ls into a Mustang is just as ignorant. What's wrong with chevys? Are they such crap that you have to find other brands of cars to put the engine in?

In all honesty, the answers you were looking for probably isn't in the old skool stuff. I mean, if your looking for 24 mpg, 650 hp, FI, A/C, and all this, that and the other, you'd be better off getting a hellcat engine.
Really, to be fair, it would be like me going to a "Chevelle only" site, and tell them I have a hellcat motor for my '68 chevelle, and what 350 or 396 or even a 454 will beat my hellcat motor, and oh, by the way, I want 24 mpg, cruise 80 in the interstate all day, and run mid 10's, have A/C, blah blah blah....
and if somebody offers something, tell them "theirs will not be as reliable", or "get the gas mileage",

So thus the reason of threads like this taking a nose dive, becoming nonsense...

After reading all the dribble I can only state the all ready said problem of old skool out dated under tech engine is a hard drill to perform to equal or surpass the new skool computer driven over driven engines with the benefit of years of tech growth.

This is a similar thread would could find in the out door meets when the older flat head Ford guys are trying to keep up with the new bugger displacement engines that were being produced. How can a 1930's flat head Ford even hope to keep up with an engine double its size?

The best answer I could give Cuda620 or anyone else looking to create or try to create such an even if old skool origin of any company is to update copy and use your head.

Updating any old engine will never be cheap. If your slick, you might be able
To keep costs down to a reasonable level. BUT it will never be cheap vs. the newer engine since there in the junk yard complete cheaper than your short block rebuild.

Some pricing is just simply expensive and even more so when the Chrysler camp is number 3. Be happy about it because you could be trying this with an AMC, Caddy or worse yet, a small block Buick. Then you'll know what expensive really is. If anybody ever states (or whines or cries) that the mopar stuff is to expensive, I say 2 things.
1; Everything is expensive except a Chevy.
2; Go get a Chevy or save your money for your mopar.

Oh, Cuda620's answer....

Copy all the tech onto the engine of choice. Yes, everything is expensive to a mopar as you know but what can you do ?
The after market will charge what the do.

IF you were to go down this route, and yes I know you sold the stuff... my build would/could look something like this;

I would like to use a small block of approx. 360 to 375 cubic inches. How it gets done can vary. But that's the approx. range is like to be in. I do like a 360 stroke in a (probably a .030) 340 block. 372 cid.
The best high flowing cylinder head I could get. I'd like to see at least a 190cc intake size. 220 would be great!

MPSFI IIRC, Edelbrock has a kit for multi point fuel injection though I don't remember if it is sequential. Someone out there has a kit for this.

Small but reasonable size roller cam, I'd go with a Hyd roller. 224/226 on the intake.
Generous header size. I myself would need to test, but, *I think* a good starting point would be 1-3/4 & perhaps stepped into the next tube size. 3 inch piping to the rear.

An overdrive transmission is then must for mileage. The old Chrysler 4spd O.D. is probably the cheapest. And probably, the (supposed) cutting involved would turn most away. I met a few guys with it installed without cutting. (I don't wanna debate it...whatever they did is what they did.)
Then I myself, would supercharge it.
Paxton, TorqueStorm, personal taste on that. Or turbo. Again, personal call/taste.

Reasonable displacement, upgraded equipment, overdrive trans, just like modern cars.

That's what I would do. The cost is the prohibitory issue. And, made even more so by the thousands of engines in the junkyard at 1/4 the age and mileage.

Trust me Ladies and Gents, I don't blame anybody for doing what they do. Money is a big factor. Even more so when you have a lack of it. Builds like I outlined as a possible route are super expensive by compare. We do them because we want to do them.

I'm currently saving for a 6 pack build.
I'm doing an6 pack build because I want to. Nothing more, nothing less, not out to prove a DANM thing by it/with it. Just wanna have fun with it.

There are cheaper ways to make more power but I don't care. Just doing what I want to do before my time is up on earth.

Oh! Trickflows 240 CNC head at $1000 a pop is expensive vs. a Chevy head, I'm sure. But for the mopar guys, that's a good bargain. I think throwing mud at that head, it's price and comparing it to the cheaper Chevy head is lame since we all know the pricing differences on parts for various camps vari widely. It's something we suffer from. Making a point of it and then bashing is a lot like making fun of a Cancer patient after the fact.

Still, a lot cheaper than a German or Italian cars head.

Blah..blah..blah...
Camaro SS.. Got 1 40 ft from me I can drive.. , LS1 driven it... , Hellcat...driven it
Porrsche Turbo..driven it , F430 Farrari ..driven it...New NSX ...driven it. Mercedes AMG C63 or GTS...driven it..

So why am I pouring time and money in another OLD Mopar ? Because its a different kind of thrill and power. Its more viceral , more exciting , more adrenaline !

And as far as modern mopar cant compete...there are Gen 3 Hemis out there that will eat an SS for lunch and dinner.
I see 800 hp Bigblock builds often..

I dont even know what this thread is about !

It's about 620 making a mess of things for fun. Ballyhooing about how tuff of a guy he is and the likes of money he makes with HIS martial arts school.

LMAO, yeaaaaa right...

If you're ever in Indianan
It's about 620 making a mess of things for fun. Ballyhooing about how tuff of a guy he is and the likes of money he makes with HIS martial arts school.

LMAO, yeaaaaa right...
If you're ever in NE Indiana I'm easy to find. You'll believe me then. I don't care what you do,I'm gonna LS my cuda and post it on here just to piss you off.If you don't like it hit ignore or drive yourself crazy cause there's Nothing you can do about it. All this started with a question. You're not open minded,,,

"If I'm ever in your state what?"

I am open minded. Your just a big mouth key board idiot trying to puff up your chest via threatening people with physical harm IF they don't like what you say or are going to do with your car.

IF you had actually read any of my posts, you would know that while I like a mopar engine in a mopar car, I'm not bad mouthing anyone for doing differently. Never have, never will. My Moto typed over and over again here is "Your car, your way!"

I really don't give a Frak what you do to your car.

Trust me in this, no one here will believe your a martial arts school owner with the way you act here.
Waaaaaaaaaaaay
To in mature.
You sir (and I use that term loosely, very) are at best a teenager. Dispite your numerical age.

Now try and behave like your parents told you to, like a good little boy and learn how to play nice with others.

Everybody, stop feeding the troll!

"Cuda620"

By the same reasoning, park a ford thunderbolt next to a hello kitty challenger and guess who gets the most looks?

(But I admit...it took me a while to find an old ford that is as cool as an old mopar)
it would be the hell cat for the most part , for me .

-
Back