Custom Pistons

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can flat top pistons be made with 10ccs and up?

Last edited:
Do you mean 10cc valve reliefs? Remember the deeper the valve relief the lower the compression ratio.

Mahle makes a nice piston with excellent ring pkg. In my 408 I used a dish that is iirc 16 cc's or 16.5 cc's and compression ended up at I believe right at 10:70 or so with a 64 cc chamber using an LA block, if you use a magnum block compression may be a bit higher because the deck on the magnum block is a little bit shorter. This is the part# I used Mahle 930271030. The info on the Mahle pistons came from this site, in particular Ramm, Thanks Ramm
BTW: I am mixing 1.5 gallons of 110 to 3.5 gallons of pump 93, this summer I will be switching over to E85, I am at sea level so be careful with compression and iron heads, also I maybe switching over to TF PP190 heads.

Asking for a specific amount of cc’s in a dish or valve relief sizes should be spoken with the piston manufacturer. They should be able to meet your specs.

A good example of this is asking for deep valve relief pockets for really high lift cams. Don’t ask me how many cc’s that would be, it’s a variable. 10 cc’s is not a lot.

Why do you ask?

5cc for valve notches is standard-ish for a small block flat top. They’ll cut them shallower if you give good measurements for valve drop and lift at 10 degrees before and after TDC in the overlap range. FWIW, the ones I’m waiting for from Ross will be just under 3cc for the valve notches.

I'm replacing 23.5cc dish pistons for flat tops. 5cc's will have my compression too high. I have open chamber iron heads. I'm looking for 13-16cc flat tops for closer to 10:2.

I'm replacing 23.5cc dish pistons for flat tops. 5cc's will have my compression too high. I have open chamber iron heads. I'm looking for 13-16cc flat tops for closer to 10:2.
That’ll probably just be a shallower dish then. Also not sure what your head gasket thickness is and what room you have to think it out.

Where do the pistons sit? Has the deck been milled?
What head gasket thickness is figured in this.
You can go to .050 and have what they say, still have quench.

That’ll probably just be a shallower dish then. Also not sure what your head gasket thickness is and what room you have to think it out.
No problems finding a dish with the proper cc's. From what I understand, an open chamber head with a dish piston is not as efficient as a closed chamber with flat tops. I want to get flat tops now if I replace the heads with closed chamber Trick Flows.

You can get 93 in Ga. Correct?

I run a zero deck hyper-U piston in the wife’s .030 over 360 and trickflow heads. The cam is a hyd roller w/a 224@050 intake duration.

Yes 93 is available. Much easier to get 360 flat tops at 10:1 than stroker. I have no quench.

A TRUE flat top is ZERO ccs, so that clears that up. Otherwise you have a "flat top with valve reliefs" or a dished piston, step head, or any other number of piston head types. Just to set "THAT" straight.

I should have said flat tops with valve reliefs as thats what I need.

-
Back