Cylinder #1 no compression

-
I found the problem, the engine is sideways. That wouldn't of happened if it was the right way, silly people.
Hopefully it looks better than this classic case of zero comression ...........

PA161326.jpfg

PA161325.jpfg

With the imprint of the valve head in the piston, I think we can rule out a foreign body? One problem I see is radial clearance of the valves is way off due to the eyebrows in the piston not located correctly in relation to the valve head. Clay the pistons and see what you get.

With the imprint of the valve head in the piston, I think we can rule out a foreign body? One problem I see is radial clearance of the valves is way off due to the eyebrows in the piston not located correctly in relation to the valve head. Clay the pistons and see what you get.

not necessarily I wouldn't think .

say a small rock made its way down the intake.

valve opens, rocks trys to escape......valve closes on the rock and lodges it in place......piston whacks valve.......rock disintegrates and blows out the exhaust leaving no trace it was ever there in the first place.

just a theory anyhow lol

not necessarily I wouldn't think .

say a small rock made its way down the intake.

valve opens, rocks trys to escape......valve closes on the rock and lodges it in place......piston whacks valve.......rock disintegrates and blows out the exhaust leaving no trace it was ever there in the first place.

just a theory anyhow lol

Possible but I would think the odds of that are pretty slim. First off he would have to be running without an air cleaner for the rock to enter the motor?

true...

But he said he has had the intake and heads off recently I believe.

might have some how happened then?

no telling.

could be like others have mentioned also though in that it could have been faulty mechanical work that was done?

faulty parts?

no clue......I just went off the rock theory being that he said there was already 100 miles on it....seems like if it was faulty work or parts that it would have showed its ugly head right away.

all a guessing game on how it happened if there are no tell tale signs staring you in the face.

also could be as mentioned earlier about spring tension.

I personally have never had a valve failure from to much or lack there of spring tension so I will let others judge if that is the problem.

are there any marks on the back side of the valve or in the seat that would give a hint as to if something got stuck in between the 2 and hung the valve open?

any marks in the top of the piston or on the face of the valve that would indicate that something lodged in between the 2 surfaces ?

You get tiresome pretty fast.

Don't you have somewhere else to be stupid? :scratch:

BTW, I agree with wildncrazy..... Looks like the springs weren't strong enough for the valve to escape the piston when things got in a hurry.

IF, it was a rock, there would be some tell tale sign of it crunching up somewhere, unless it was the perfect size to make it out the ex valve after not holding the intake open without leaving a mark?

Nahhhh

carb nuts make a real mess......

The valve springs that are in the head are a double valve spring I believe, but they are rated to .600" lift.

In theory the imprint of the valve in the piston could be off because the valve was already bent when it hit?

And as far as marks on the valve or valve seat I am not 100% sure. There are scratches on the valve, but I am not sure if that is just from when it hit the seat. I can not tell of any on the valve seat itself, but it is dark out and I can not see it perfectly.

Dustin, I would assume the piston hit the valve to bend it, right?

Someone mentioned clay, now would be a great time to do that..... maybe pop some springs and make sure you don't have sticky guides too?

Dustin, I would assume the piston hit the valve to bend it, right?

Someone mentioned clay, now would be a great time to do that..... maybe pop some springs and make sure you don't have sticky guides too?

I honestly am not sure what caused it to bend, because I would think that it would hit with more than just one valve if it was to the point of valves hitting.

I have already took all the remaining valve springs, and valves out that are on this head and inspected them for anything unusual or any resistance and they were all fine.

I will probably check clearances with clay tomorrow evening

The round coily one (outer), in the pic it looks sideways and fattened.......

It's the pic, or maybe I ate too much BBQ rib eye.........

How much lift do you have?

I agree with SGBarracuda. The valve relief isn't cut in the correct location. May require fly cutting the reliefs. .100 minimum on the exhaust side.

-
Back