Dad FTW

-
Sure…if you accept at face value Her Royal Teenage Highness' mealymouthed enumeration of the impossible taskload in her slavish hellworld of indentured servitude, and dismiss or question her father's much shorter list of household tasks utterly reasonable for a teenager to be assigned as part of learning to participate responsibly in life that involves people other than ourselves. I, for one, find dad's list a lot more believable than daughter's list. American kids have been rolling their eyes and snarling "I'm not yer damn slave!" in response to "Please take out the trash" (and "I thought I asked you to take out the trash", and "This is the fifth time I've told you, now turn off the TV and take out the trash!") for years.

Got any evidence he's not providing for her needs? Did you go look at the followup link?

Holy Crap Dan,....I had to go over that thrice to digest it all,....That was a Texas mouthfull,...

Sure…if you accept at face value Her Royal Teenage Highness' mealymouthed enumeration of the impossible taskload in her slavish hellworld of indentured servitude, and dismiss or question her father's much shorter list of household tasks utterly reasonable for a teenager to be assigned as part of learning to participate responsibly in life that involves people other than ourselves. I, for one, find dad's list a lot more believable than daughter's list. American kids have been rolling their eyes and snarling "I'm not yer damn slave!" in response to "Please take out the trash" (and "I thought I asked you to take out the trash", and "This is the fifth time I've told you, now turn off the TV and take out the trash!") for years.

Got any evidence he's not providing for her needs? Did you go look at the followup link?
I was referring to the dads list.
All i,m saying is what hes doing aint working and i,m real sure the two of them aint going to be singing kum ba yah around the campfire anytime soon.Its my opinion. I didnt have to publicly humiliate my girls to get things done.You aint got to like it.

That was funny and good to see a parent take control. Might have been more effective to find a college student who doesn't have the support of two parents, take the daughter along when they give away the laptop to someone who would appreciate it. I'm not a fan of putting personal family matters on Facebook or anywhere on the internet.
x2

If you haven't learned respect by 15 most likely you are already a lost cause.

So you give up on a 15 year old that doesnt have respect?? My oldest boy at the time didnt respect me, was that cuz I didnt earn it?? Was it cuz he was as you would put it a lost cause?? Gimme a break life is a constant learning lesson no matter what the age, this kid was warned and she didnt heed the warnings, so suck it up Sally straighten yer skirt and get to the chores! By the way my oldest is now 20 and we are getting our relationship back on track. So much for the lost cause eh??

So you give up on a 15 year old that doesnt have respect?? My oldest boy at the time didnt respect me, was that cuz I didnt earn it?? Was it cuz he was as you would put it a lost cause?? Gimme a break life is a constant learning lesson no matter what the age, this kid was warned and she didnt heed the warnings, so suck it up Sally straighten yer skirt and get to the chores! By the way my oldest is now 20 and we are getting our relationship back on track. So much for the lost cause eh??

Good for you hope your relation continues to grow. In your words we our getting our relationship back on track. No mention of respect. I never said you could not have a relationship just that the respect aspect is usually a lost cause. You can have a relationship without respect.

Good for you hope your relation continues to grow. In your words we our getting our relationship back on track. No mention of respect. I never said you could not have a relationship just that the respect aspect is usually a lost cause. You can have a relationship without respect.

Not in my house.

Not in my house.

I agree not in my house. also the point I was trying to make was kids are people they learn to adapt quickly. They still have needs that only the parents can provide so they play along, ends to a means. If they haven't learned respect by there mid teens good luck. sure you may get along it doesn't mean you have there respect.

You want to rear a child properly GIVE them what they need and make them EARN the things they want, and start at an early age.

Quote:: You want to rear a child properly GIVE them what they need and make them EARN the things they want, and start at an early age.

I would agree with that statement

Nothing wrong with parental discipline, we need way more in this country. We're raising a generation of spoiled brats. My Dad was 21 years in the Navy and I was raised under strict home rules. I always knew when I was in trouble because I would hear from the other end of the house "front and center Boy".

Oh, Thanks Dad for making me the man I am today.

How many daughters have you raised?

All I would add is all girls are not alike. Some are very respectful and easy to raise, others are very difficult. I have seen Great parents end up struggling with their daughters while very poor parents had exception kids.

I used to have 5 theories on raising kids. I now have 5 kids and no theories...

In your words, you said at 15 if they dont have respect they are a lost cause, those are words you chose, however you meant them I dunno. Im interpretating your typing/words that if they dont have respect they are a lost cause...whatever.....AND by the way my son does and is gaining respect for me. Maybe the last 5 years I should have given up on him?? Sorry Oldmanray, but maybe Im interpreting your words wrong...for your sake I hope so. Go talk to a highschool teacher, see how many 15 year olds have respect for anyone...not many I bet, but they do come around.....

In your words, you said at 15 if they dont have respect they are a lost cause, those are words you chose, however you meant them I dunno. Im interpretating your typing/words that if they dont have respect they are a lost cause...whatever.....AND by the way my son does and is gaining respect for me. Maybe the last 5 years I should have given up on him?? Sorry Oldmanray, but maybe Im interpreting your words wrong...for your sake I hope so. Go talk to a highschool teacher, see how many 15 year olds have respect for anyone...not many I bet, but they do come around.....

You know. Those are not my words I said MOST LIKELY meaning that if they haven!t learned it from you as a parent by then yes it most likely is a lost cause they will learn it at home. Sorry we don't see eye to eye. Again best to you and your son. If you wish to discuss this further send me a pm I'm done here.

last time i checked, i gave my parents one hell of a hard time growing up because i thought they didnt know quat. I was always amazed at how fast dads belt could go from his waiste to my ***. Always thought I could react fast enough. Always thought they were wrong and abusive....Now....I would do anything to talk to him one more time, for just one minute...I tell mom i love her every chance I get! I wish there were more responsible parents out there. I work part time at the local grocery store and cant tell you how many burn outs work there, 16 year old parents(?), welfare recipients pissed when the lobster tank is empty, shop lifters stealing for drugs or worse, trying to feed their family. To the people who think its wrong what this guy did, only time will tell. What i do know, my parents were right 99.9% of the time. I agree with what this guy did. Ask yourself if he used a baseball bat instead of a gun, would your opinion have been different?

Lot of good points to this thread.Do I agree with what he did? No. Do I agree with everyone here? No. Do I think this guy is at the end of his rope? Yes.We raise our kids and hope for the best. We do our best. Does it always work? No. Wishing this guy luck.Just dont agree that making it public was the best method.

awesome... too bad he missed the 3rd shot from point blank. Nice gun too

Had my Dad up for dinner,...showed him the video,...laughed his *** off,...he reminded me of a story that went down when I was about 10,...me and his buddies daughter stole a bunch of matchbox cars from a local 5 &10,(remember those?),...He found out about It and marched us both back to the store,by our earlobes,...and made us return the cars,and apologize,...IN FRONT OF GOD AND EVERYBODY ELSE IN EARSHOT. The point was well made. Stop coddling your kids and make them accountable for all their actions and you'll have a better child.

hell yeah i liked the video!! hes in the right...that child of his needs to get her priorities straight. lol Her ''Royal Teenage Highness'' lol, Dan, you crack me up dude!!!

When I was a young ladd I thought my Dad was wrong in every aspect of the way we were raised. At times I remember even hating my Dad. By todays standards my Dad was abusive. He use to beat my *** regular over sometimes minor things. An example was one day he left for work on a saturday, he told me to mow the yard, when he returned home after work and seen the yard wasn't mowed he beat the living hell out of me, I didn't have a chance to get the words out of my mouth "The lawn mower wouldn't start!"
As an adult of 56 years I know he was wrong on some of the ways he handled raising a family. It probably had a lot to do with the fact he was a Police officer. But the funny thing is that as I grew older the more I realized the wiser he was. I too wish I had another chance to talk to him for just a few minutes to thank him and tell him one more time that I love him, But i can't do that since he pasted away 1-7-2010. The only part i don't agree with the way this father handled this situation was the fact that he went public with it on You Tube. And by the way my father didn't make me into a child abuser. I never had to spank my daughter!

awesome... too bad he missed the 3rd shot from point blank. Nice gun too

He didn't miss. It went right through the IBM insignia near the corner. I thought so too.

I think what he did wasn't necessarily the best way to handle it, but it was effective. He didn't intend it to be broadcast to the world, just his girl's FB crowd. The same folks that she ranted to about him and her "oh so difficult" life.

I don't agree with shooting the laptop, per se, but then I think most of you are too fixated on guns in the first place. But rendering it unusable, that was totally acceptable in my eyes.

All in all, I'd agree with what he did.

Dang Dan, that's a mouthful!!! But you're spot on and good for the Dad. Someone has to be in charge and if I'm the earner/provider and Father all rolled into one then that would be me. Until you grow up and make your own monies and support yourself in your own domicile it's gonna be done my way.
Yup. Sometimes the answer really is "Because I said so; end of discussion".
and there you have it folks!

I agree that respect is earned. I also agree that a parent has the right to instill respect, as no one else has the ability these days to do so.

Personally, I would rather have seen him stomp the crap out of the notebook, but the point was made either way.

I see this lack of respect daily in my daughter's friends and classmates. The worse they act, the more they are given. Nevermind the lack of respect for material things, it is the lack of respect for others that is already manifesting itself. It is an entitled me-only generation, and unfortunately, it will never get better until children are taught that the world actually doesn't revolve around them.

Thanks Dan for the posts. It makes me realize that it is not just drawing the line in the sand that is important, instead, it is having the fortitude to make seemingly unpleasant decisions to ensure it is not crossed, that matter.

Grant

He responded to a PUBLIC misbehavior by his daughter with a consequence that was designed to be EQUALLY public! He did not take a private infraction and make it public! These days it seems that parents and gun owners are automatically wrong and kids are always victims. If she publicly defamed her parents then she deserves to have his response just as public, especially when he has tried to deal with it privately first.

I commend his standing up for standards.

Dave

-
Back