daily driver tires

-

dodgedifferent2

Reaction score
So i am looking at tires today since the good year wrangler sra's scared the brown nuggets out of me on the first snowfall.

looking at 275-60-20 tires for the 1500 ram
thinking all terrain tires
I had the bfg all terrain t/a on my old dakota and did not have much complaints about them except the sticker price
I also had the Hercules terra trac's on the dakota as well and i had that tire buried to the axles and it walked out of the mud hole. I was impressed.

Mainly price is slowing me up from pulling the tripper on the bfg's again. Mainly highway driving year round. Snowy roads are very common in the winter. Not going the snow tire route as i find its a waste of cash when a good on/off road tire will do the trick.

Any other options or opinions?

OK so don't hate me, but on a DD, plz don't wimp out on price. Your life, the lives of those all around your moving vehicle, and your loved ones, all depend on those little patches where the rubber meets the road. I just spent $900Can on 4 tires for my wife's Escape. Yeah it hurts.But my life would really suck without her. And if her truck took someone else out, that would suck a lot more.

when you can buy firestones a/t cheaper then the bfg's a/t

price does matter when the lower price may be better then the other.

Also some of the no name tires are actually made by the big name tires ... aka mickey thompson and cooper are the same tire. You pay more for the one with the mickey name on it.

toyo LT all terrain you won't be disapointed

So i am looking at tires today since the good year wrangler sra's scared the brown nuggets out of me on the first snowfall.

Not going the snow tire route as i find its a waste of cash when a good on/off road tire will do the trick.

Any other options or opinions?

It is not the ability to "clear snow" that makes snow tires work.It
is compounding and sipes as well,and I put four on every winter and am happy to.There
is no comparison in traction,even on/off road tires can't touch 'em,period. It's only a
waste of cash if you put them on and it never snows or gets icey,but if the temps stay in
the 30's and down and you drive modestly,they will last 3-4 yrs. depending on mileage.
How much does it cost to replace your vehicle,someone elses?Can it
replace you or someone elses health,.....life? Believe me,I've done it all on all kinds of
tires and road conditions.I lost a perfectly good work beater on black ice because I'd
"saved" some money on a set of new cheapie tires, w/no sipes etc.,they stuck great
on the dry road and went promptly to Zero when i hit that.
It is not a "trick" to have traction in the snow,it is science,and snow
tires have it.Do the homework,most people wreck unable to stop or negotiate a turn,
not trying to get up a hill. I know it's expensive,and that is a major consideration,but
that is whats best if you can afford it.

A couple months back, I got 4 Firestone Destination A/T's for $600 installed for the wife's 2010 Jeep Commander. Very aggressive tread and quiet.

Toyo hands down! Awesome tires at a damn good price.

I bought a set of BF Goodrich TA KO 275/65/R20s for my RAM last year, good tires look good. I got a really good deal. Same price as US $Tirerack installed. Just make sure they are snow rated because I found out only certain sizes are. (i.e,mine are not, 285s are)

toyo LT all terrain you won't be disapointed

Toyo hands down! Awesome tires at a damn good price.

I had these on my 4X4 Dakota quad cab V6. Fine tire.

So no my suggestion is to step away from the fine tire to a really nice one.

"Cooper AT3!!!"

On my second set. Screw the rest. Firestones, LOL, Goodyear, LOL

I have run BFG's All Terrain TA KO's on every 4 wheel drive I have ever owned ('cept the first one at first - which is how I learned) - I was checking out the new KO 2's - I vote yay on them, they have improved an already great tire! IF they are too pricey - General Grabbers are really close and typically a bit less expensive.

I just put Bridgestone Blizzaks on my pickup in that size and they are awesome in ice and snow. I haven't tried them in real deep stuff yet but they are so far superior to the Wrangler SRAs that it came with I'm confident they'll shine there as well. I've used Blizzaks on my WRXs in the winter since 2005 and the combination of awd and winter tires makes for a super snow-goer. The soft compound and flex sidewalls sure take away from handling on those cars so I run the regular tires in the summer but the pickup drives and handles fine.

Definitely go best you can afford, I drive cab and they buy cheapest China crap and go through 2 sets a year but there's still Goodyears and Michelin that came on these cars when they bought them that been kicking around for years still.

X2 on winter tires. Nothing beats a good studded snow tire. Plenty of traction for stopping turning and acceleration. Try that with an all terrain. Compare they two. I will take the snow tires. I live in iowa so winter here sucks usually.

We are not allowed studs ... plus we don't have nasty enough winter weather for snow tires... I would have to go alot more north before I would consider a snow tire .. aka north of Barrie Ontario

When I did use snow tires once ... I decided the all terrains were better ... stuck with them ever since

Did some looking today and thinking I will end up with bfg again and cry for 90000 kms

Yeah,studs are almost a thing of the past.Nearly 20 yrs. ago,our tire shop
was broken into and robbed,and one of the things that got taken was our stud gun.
The owner looked at the cost to replace it (over 4 bills at the time),and how many we
were doing(MAYBE 6-8 sets a winter),and just put the "depreciated"$ towards other
shop needs.The studs I have run actually perform worse on hard icy surfaces that the
superior high surface contact/hi sipe count modern snows have.But they rock on heavy
snow pack,I ran a set of 165/80r13's on my old horizon studded,and I was pushing thru
snow over the frt. bumper!!
Lol, I'll see you a set of GRich A/T's,and raise you a set of GRich Winter
Slaloms!! I put those on my friends Gr.Caravan,and she goes like a beast,and lives on
a ghastly hill. I'm more curious exactly what kind of winters you do get there? "The
Great White North", usually we think you get hammered in the winter,a low moisture
zone there?

Studs here are allowed from November 11 to April 1st. Usually the hills where I live are hardpack snow. I agree, studs aren't a necessity but I always feel safer with them. I've never had studdless snows so I guess I don't know the difference. Lol. Yes, how is the Canadian winter anyway? Always figured there was a lot of snow.

The area i am in is considered the tropics of Canada. aka banana belt. I am very close to the most southern point of Canada around the 42nd parallel which the state of Iowa is on the same parallel.

Most images of Canada are from the western provinces where they are at the 49th parellel aka north of Minnesota. I would even be south of South Dakota.

we get the lake effect snow systems that blow in. The last two years have been odd for our area because the snow stayed from xmas till marchish. Usually we get a Jan blast that melts with the Jan thaw a week later. Lots of rain is normal for this area. Snow comes and goes. Last two years have been damn cold which has been rare. Usually we seem to hover around freezing and just above freezing. Think of Detroit Mi ... we are generally the same.

hey - there's no crying in tire buying -:D So - BFG AT KO2's? I'd be interested in knowing how you like them IF that's the route you go.
We are not allowed studs ... plus we don't have nasty enough winter weather for snow tires... I would have to go alot more north before I would consider a snow tire .. aka north of Barrie Ontario

When I did use snow tires once ... I decided the all terrains were better ... stuck with them ever since

Did some looking today and thinking I will end up with bfg again and cry for 90000 kms

I had the bfg tires on my old 4x4 dakota and never had any complaints about them except the price. I never did compare them in the mud hole like the hercules so I can't decide on that. I know the mileage is great because my dad has his Second set on his 2500 ram. He hated the firestone because he got stuck once.
The bfg tires drove the last two winters with hard packed snow and snow over the bumper of the truck with no complaints other then I wanted to go deeper.

I think I am sold on the bfg

-
Back