Daily drivers "worth buying" ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
My 02 Pt cruiser is about worn out. I just do not have a clue of what to buy as a replacement. I've been out of the mechanics repair industry for about 18 years. Back then I knew what was junk/ and what was worth buying.
Chances are I will be looking for a used car. So whats the word on.. What to run from/ and what might be a good choice? If there really are any good choices anymore. I prefer a mopar. But what I really want is a GOOD reliable , nice riding wife friendly daily driver.
Heck I may even consider something in the mid 80's

I would stay away from anything with a Dual Clutch Trans (DCT, DDCT, SMG) or a CVT pretty much forever.

The other thing you want to avoid like the plague is the Ford Escape. Biggest pile of crap on the road by far.

I have a Chevrolet Cruze that's a great car - good MPG, drives well, haven't had any issues. Some other cars that I would recommend are Pontiac G6, Honda Accord, and the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix. I know they aren't Mopars but a lot of newer mopars you can find for cheap (sebrings, avengers, calibers) aren't very good.

My 02 Pt cruiser is about worn out. I just do not have a clue of what to buy as a replacement. I've been out of the mechanics repair industry for about 18 years. Back then I knew what was junk/ and what was worth buying.
Chances are I will be looking for a used car. So whats the word on.. What to run from/ and what might be a good choice? If there really are any good choices anymore. I prefer a mopar. But what I really want is a GOOD reliable , nice riding wife friendly daily driver.
Heck I may even consider something in the mid 80's

jeep patriot...bought the cheapest jeep in 2008...no power anything except steering....Wife and I wouldn't give it up for anything

My wife and I bought a Suzuki XL7 used (2007) a couple of years back and I was real skeptical about buying but she liked it and it was to be hers so we bought it. It is one great vehicle, love it, and its a V6 270hp @19mpg avg and drives well. It had approx 90k on it when we got it and now its pushing 125k and no issues. Suzuki! who would of thunk! lol

I drive almost 100 mile round trip to work every day. Can't see putting that many miles on a new car so I've been buying $1500 "disposable" cars for several years now. Any '86-'92 Honda Accord or Toyota Camry with a 2.2L 4 banger i could find. I was never concerned about appearance with a $1500 price tag but for $2500-$3500 I've found some very nice ones with relatively low miles, under 150k which is just broke in good on those cars. I prefer the 2.2L Camry, over the Honda, because it's not a "valve slapper" engine. If the timing belt breaks you don't lose the engine. With that said, my last '92 Camry (paid $1700) had an annoying stumble/stutter between 45-60 mph that I just could not figure out, too much electronics,EFI, etc. Had to be a computer tech to test it. That's when I found my Dart. It was on Craigslust for $1400. I thought to myself "I understand that car!" Talked the guy down to $500 and drove it home 45 miles @ 40 mph. Didn't think it was going to make it but it did. 6 mos,.$1000, and 300 hours labor later she's a reliable, cool, daily driver that gets 20 mpg and I've never been happier. Find a Dart or Valiant with a /6 and auto tranny, put a little love into it, and it'll serve you well.

how much do you drive daily? VW TDI's, prior to the CR cars, are still reasonable, and regular maintenance isn't that bad, if you can do work yourself. Timing belts primarily.
Just avoid the full auto cars, and do either the manual or DSG models. Fuel mileage is typically above 40, easy.

I have an 03 Pontiac Vibe (same as a Toyota Matrix) with 192000 miles on it. Awesome car, plenty of room,34 mpg,ac converter. No problems. Just normal maintenance. I love this car!

A cheap low end honda is pretty hard to beat.
The last accord I had was at about 300K when I traded it for a street bike, old car still ran good.
A guy a work paid $1000 for one a couple of years ago, he also had a new Hyundai at the time, after 40K and 3 transmission in the Hyundai, he traded it off, still kept the Honda because the old girl don't break down.
Keep looking for a 10 yr old jap econo box. Cheap transportation.

I bought an 08 AWD charger in February of 09 with 80K on the counter
what I paid for it back then is probably what it will sell for now, with 130K on it
during the 5 years ive owned it I think I spend maybe 500 on regular maintenance

the only unexpected expense was a ripped CV boot

and the look on peoples faces when I refer to is as "my winter beater" is priceless

how much do you drive daily? VW TDI's, prior to the CR cars, are still reasonable, and regular maintenance isn't that bad, if you can do work yourself. Timing belts primarily.
Just avoid the full auto cars, and do either the manual or DSG models. Fuel mileage is typically above 40, easy.

We usually only drive about 5-7 thousand miles per year on the PT Cruiser.

jeep patriot...bought the cheapest jeep in 2008...no power anything except steering....Wife and I wouldn't give it up for anything

I bought a 2009 Jeep Patriot, in dec of 2008.. Was a great car...for 4years. Then it had massive electrical issues at 38000 miles. Sold it back to a dealer. First new car I ever owned for myself. Maybe I just got a bad one.
So since the jeep, we've been down to the PT.

Hmmm. I hate to say this,because the vehicle just isn't "cool",bu there are a ton of reliable Chrysler Minivans around. I know some may disagree,but mine has been pretty good to me. 50 000 km's I put on it,and the only things I have done are fluids,brakes,one cv axle and both power window motors..Oh the AC is broken now,but thats just because my budget didn't allow for me to throw more parts at it. It's a 2000 Grand Caravan,7 passenger with the 3.8 litre. Gas mileage is not too bad . Here in the winding mountains,I get an average of 24 mpg highway,and maybe 14-15 in the city. When I brought it home from Sakatchewan,I got 30 mpg hwy with the AC on fullblast,in 45 C weather! It's not really ideal for our weather or terrain,but it has served well enough.

I drive almost 100 mile round trip to work every day. Can't see putting that many miles on a new car so I've been buying $1500 "disposable" cars for several years now. Any '86-'92 Honda Accord or Toyota Camry with a 2.2L 4 banger i could find. I was never concerned about appearance with a $1500 price tag but for $2500-$3500 I've found some very nice ones with relatively low miles, under 150k which is just broke in good on those cars. I prefer the 2.2L Camry, over the Honda, because it's not a "valve slapper" engine. If the timing belt breaks you don't lose the engine. With that said, my last '92 Camry (paid $1700) had an annoying stumble/stutter between 45-60 mph that I just could not figure out, too much electronics,EFI, etc. Had to be a computer tech to test it. That's when I found my Dart. It was on Craigslust for $1400. I thought to myself "I understand that car!" Talked the guy down to $500 and drove it home 45 miles @ 40 mph. Didn't think it was going to make it but it did. 6 mos,.$1000, and 300 hours labor later she's a reliable, cool, daily driver that gets 20 mpg and I've never been happier. Find a Dart or Valiant with a /6 and auto tranny, put a little love into it, and it'll serve you well.

I am messing around with my 74 and the 225 before I put the 440 in. I hooked up an HHO generator to it, should get really good gas when it is on the road. Had the setup in the kids 93 mustang and it got almost 50 mpg on the 2.4 but he hated it because it lost power on the hills. My daily driver is an 07 Cobalt SS (2.4) 5 spd and it gets around 32 hwy. So far so good with it it just turned 90k. Pretty good in the snow also. The recalls are a pain in the... but they give you a loaner on request. All were dumb recalls, like the key turning off etc.

Like others, I'll drive most any cheap piece of ricer. Completely wore out a 90 Geo Prism. Today I'm in a 96 Camry w/277 thousand miles on it. Different story for my wifes transportation and/or hauling my grandbabies around. Wife is in her second RAV4 ( only because some lady pulled out in front of and total lossed the first one ). Over 10 years now without 1 complaint. No failed door handles, no failed window motors,,,, nothing.
I've bought 8 tires, 1 belt, 1 battery, 4 air filters, and 6 wiper blades the whole 10 years.

Have had several 3.3L caravans since 1995 latest one is an 06.just brakes and radiators for repairs.my wife drives 'em and she has never been stranded. get a clean one with 100 k on it and put another 150k on it. you will get your moneys worth out of it.

We're almost in the same boat.

Our 2002 P/T only has 135,000 on the clock, but my wife's daily job requires her to do inner city driving in her personal vehicle (has increased 2-3x in the past year), and it's a manual trans.

It's super fun to drive, but it's wearing her left knee out.

It's been a good car, and we only paid $3500 with 54,000 miles on it.
Needed front wheel bearings, but since then just regular wear items (* see below).

We're considering simply getting a slightly newer ('06-'08 ) automatic P/T.

Keep in mind any 2.4L that's approaching 95,000 miles will need a $900 timing belt job.
(If you can't or don't want to do it yourself)

If you can find one that's had it done, you're ahead.
That's a selling point for ours and a bargaining chip for buying one.

I've seen a few locals fitting that criteria for between $2500 and $5000.
If we play the cards right, we could break even, or possibly come out ahead.

I bought a used 2004 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl. that had 50k on it. That was 4 years ago and I now have 231K.

No issues, no major repairs and runs like new.

I replaced all 4 struts for $500 on my own as most shops quoted $1,500. That was the biggest expense with the exception of tires!

I prefer Crown Vic`s cheap, plentiful and get 25 mpg with a nice ride ,huge interior and trunk. I had an 02 years ago that was still running good when sold with over 300k on the odometer.

I have been wondering about this myself. I have a few cars, but my commuter is a 98 ZX 2 with 236 K miles. I plan on putting 300 thousand on it which will be a year or two down the road. It is a 5 speed and gets 30 MPG. Only problem is it is uncomfortable, the seats suck and you are low to the ground. cant beat the mileage though. I was thinking about a Focus for a replacement as I want another 5 speed, but I remember the early Ford Focuses being really crappy, they have plastic door latch mechanisms and crappy fuel pumps. I may just rebuild my ZX 2 engine or swap it out and run it till the body deteriorates LOL! It is getting hard to find a decent cheap car, they have been junk for quite a while. By decent, I mean something dependable that doesn't kill you to maintain it. Minimal electronic and electrical problems.

I know a lot of people here aren't bowtie friendly but my daily driver is a '14 Camaro and I love it. It has about 9k miles on it so far and nothing has broken yet. It's got a 5 star safety rating as well. As for as bang for your buck goes I think it's pretty good. 323hp V6 with a 6 speed manual trans going to a limited slip rear with 3.27 gears. The trans is like an old school 4 speed except with two overdrives, reverse is in and up and top speed is in 4th and it's a blast to drive. The clutch is also pretty light so you don't get worn out driving around town. It's been pretty practical so far for driving around town, hauling friends, and even taking the occasional road trip since it gets 28 mpg on the highway. It's not a Mopar but I would suggest at least checking one out if you're feeling sporty. As for a Mopar I'd go with a Challenger or a Charger if you want something with more doors. If you want something really practical I will say that my boss has a '98 Buick grandma car with about 500k on the odometer and gets 25ish mpg on the highway...

Grand caravans are the ticket. Mommies running the kids around usually drive them easy and do all maintenance. Nobody wants them so they are cheap. Add to that a little rocker rust that's easy to fix, cv joint noise or brake noise and they can be had for a song. I've always been able to get good gas mileage out of them and being able to carry 4x8 plywood is a bonus

2004-2008 Acura TL

American made with many american parts and designed by an american.
Developed mainly in the United States by a team led by Erik Berkman with bodywork by American Honda designer Jon Ikeda and built in Marysville, Ohio,

Good to 280000 miles with regular maintenance and timing belt changes at 100K.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 198
Anything American 1980 and back in good shape.

Wifes daily driver is an 06 Charger RT 150,000 on the clock and no major problems. The only thing we ever replaced that wasn't a regular maintenance/wear item was the shifter mechanism. The plastic housing broke, think that was around 100,000 mark. Hondas are pretty good. I've also had good luck with Mazdas. I think some of it also depends if the car had at least some sort of maintenance performed on it.

-
Back