Dallas Native 1967 Dart GT Convertible

-

CultClassik

Reaction score
I'm so lazy I never started a resto thread. Bought this car about two years ago. My friend that's been bugging me to re-join the muscle car club after having to get rid of my 69 C10 project a few years back sent me a link to the for sale ad, knowing how much I loved the 67+ Darts. I had a 66 Dart 270 after ditching a 66 Mustang back in high school. I like a lot of cars, but to me nothing has the appeal of a nice Mopar.

So, here we go with the picture from the Craigslist ad. I'm sorting through my pics and uploading them, but wanted to get this thread started so be bear with me!

This car was ordered/purchased in Dallas, TX. I was lucky enough to get all of the order sheets, finance info, build sheet Certicard, all that good stuff. I believe that I'm the 3rd owner. The last owner purchased the car around 2007 with the intent of restoring it. He pulled the engine and trans, and a few other things (thank you, saved me some work) and decided he'd never get around to finishing it. He said he'd wanted to "pep up" the 2bbl 273 and was sad when I told him that I had no intention of rebuilding that engine. Sorry but especially when it's seized, I'd rather do a 318 or bigger for less money and get those extra cubic inches :)

car1_zpsbc550d74.jpg

Initially my buddy was really prodding me to get it running and drive it. I tend to do a full tear down and do a long drawn out restore. I agreed, better to get it going and worry about it being perfect later.

He forwarded an ad for a 2000 mile stock rebuild 318, complete, edelbrock carb to pan with electronic dizzy, rebuilt 727 with converter, and headers. The guy pulled it from a Charger he bought and swapped a big block in to. $500 and it was mine. Pulled the valve covers, looked as much as we could. Looked like a fresh-ish engine.

Brought it home for a test fit after pulling everything from the engine bay and cleaning up a bit, a few spot treatments with POR15. Other than the battery and master cylinder area, it was rust free, which was a big deal for me. This is also after I started on the suspension, it didn't come that clean!

engine_318_02_zps2be2516d.jpg

Cleaned up some suspension pieces and coated them with POR15...

suspension_front_03_zps8a2c2fdc.jpg

Rebuilt the drum brakes just to get it going. All new brake lines except for the front to rear. I'm actually doing that right now, we'll get to that later.

suspension_front_04_zpsd35ce38f.jpg

suspension_front_05_zps025c176c.jpg

-
Back