Dana 60 strength?

-
Another thing to do is when installing the axles line the wheelstuds up from side to side. Its a way to watch for twist when the studs no longer are in line. An axle will twist very noticeably before it breaks.

I like to think it´s because I´m using an other language. I don´t quite understand this.
You place a stud twelve a clock on both sides, when assembling the axels... right... But I´m not using a spool. Don´t laugh :)

Just an idea. Drill and tap each axle tube at each end for a very small set screw or pipe plug. Put all four in a straight line. Now when you want to check the axles just pull the pipe plugs and rotate the axles until you can see the white lines I mentioned earlier. Then you can see if an axle is twisting. The tubes in a dana are thick and if you want you could easily weld the holes up.

Axel's are $300 with green bearings installed I would recommend not taking any chances.
4mopwr, I hope it´s ok to bust in to your thread with a question...
Since you guys have the experience... what do you say? I still haven´t change the axles in my SS/B Nostalgia Barracuda Build. Car is very close to how they ran in ´68-69. Race hemi (600+ hp) 4-speed and B-Body Dana with 4.88 gears. Slicks will be 10.5" in my case.
Question: should I change axels, or will they handle this relatively milde version of an´68 SS A-Body? Car will se only Nostalgia and exhibition racing...
Thanks,
Stefan

How's this..........

If you break your anvil, you could just move over and use your 60...........they are tuff, will take a likin' and keep on tickin'. That said, anything can be broken if you try/abuse hard enough.

Good luck!

Axel's are $300 with green bearings installed I would recommend not taking any chances.
This guys in scandenavia. Shipping,tarriffs and the time it takes is something I'am glad I dont have to deal with.

Yes, and on top of that, a dollar is now 8.50 SEK. Was 6.50 in the spring of 2014.
But we don´t wine about it... nothing can stop you, once you got the Bug
Thanks all for your input...

we we're running a 416 W5 small block capable of nines. Off the trans brake with 30 spline axles. One set of shortened and resplined truck axles, and then a set of Dutchman axles. We'd broke a couple gear sets in the 8.75 in my old car.... D60 was the logical choice for us.... especially with the W8 439 in the car now.

A friend uses one in his Turbo Dodge , 35 spline , spool, 3.54 gears
7.4 @ 192 mph, approx 1700hp

image.jpg

A friend uses one in his Turbo Dodge , 35 spline , spool, 3.54 gears
7.4 @ 192 mph, approx 1700hp

View attachment 1714961158
I absolutely love watching that car race! It's not supper loud, it launches relatively mildly but then it just takes off, I can't believe the times he turns on 3.54's !!! That's awesome though I thought they may have been taller

Wow! Some nice numbers! I was looking to do the street/strip thing with about 850hp and 315 drag raidals, some are saying i need a 9".

9" needs money thrown at it to be as strong as a d60, and after all that it's less efficient. In the 9" you give up roughly 3% wheel hp from the extra friction due to a more offset pinion.

Worse than that you end up with a piece of Ford in your Mopar!
9" needs money thrown at it to be as strong as a d60, and after all that it's less efficient. In the 9" you give up roughly 3% wheel hp from the extra friction due to a more offset pinion.

I absolutely love watching that car race! It's not supper loud, it launches relatively mildly but then it just takes off, I can't believe the times he turns on 3.54's !!! That's awesome though I thought they may have been taller

Turbos work better when they have a lower gearset to "load" the turbo. S/F....Ken M

I like to think it´s because I´m using an other language. I don´t quite understand this.
You place a stud twelve a clock on both sides, when assembling the axels... right... But I´m not using a spool. Don´t laugh :)
why worry about that? we never did.

Worse than that you end up with a piece of Ford in your Mopar!

The Dana is a mopar piece? They were installed in Fords, GMs Internationals too so I guess all those guys could lay claim to them too the way Mopar guys do.

As far as the 9" goes look under any of the fast radial or small tire cars and see what's under them then report back. I'd be willing to wager that the vast majority have a Ford design rear end under them. Like my Strange S-60 has no Dana parts in it the 9" rears under most of those cars have no Ford parts either.

Don't forget the Ford 8.8, they are in a lot of fast cars too.

Don't get your testes in a Twist, I was just being a smart-***...
EDIT: how about if you look under the undercarriage of all those cars and report back??LOL! :realcrazy::rofl:
The Dana is a mopar piece? They were installed in Fords, GMs Internationals too so I guess all those guys could lay claim to them too the way Mopar guys do.

As far as the 9" goes look under any of the fast radial or small tire cars and see what's under them then report back. I'd be willing to wager that the vast majority have a Ford design rear end under them. Like my Strange S-60 has no Dana parts in it the 9" rears under most of those cars have no Ford parts either.

Don't forget the Ford 8.8, they are in a lot of fast cars too.

No wads here and I've looked at several of them and haven't seen a Dana yet. There probably are a few out there though.

Just because I'm bored with nothing else to do I guess I'll take this one step further and say yes at least mine for sure is a Mopar peace Dana 60 that is and I did have the option of putting a 9 inch and of course but that would be a Ford piece. How about that for a long voice commanded sentence with no punctuation?!

No wads here and I've looked at several of them and haven't seen a Dana yet. There probably are a few out there though.

There's a few reasons the 9" is more popular. Huge aftermarket support of drag racing specific parts, convenience of a dropout, wide gear selection from 2.xx to 6.xx, plus probably the biggest reason is the reputation as the "go to" rear when building a really fast car.

The same reasoning could be applied to the engine bay of all those fast radial cars, lots of LS and big block Chevy. Those are most popular, so go with that instead of our Mopar?

I fully understand why the 9" is so popular, the same reasons power glides and turbo 400's are.

How many competitive Mopars are running in the fast radial/small tire classes? I can only think of a handful.

It's all about the application, that's why I have a S-60 in my Dart.

I fully understand why the 9" is so popular, the same reasons power glides and turbo 400's are.

How many competitive Mopars are running in the fast radial/small tire classes? I can only think of a handful.

It's all about the application, that's why I have a S-60 in my Dart.

I agree, and same here except mine is a rebuilt truck dana.

We built a blown and injected 496 Chevy big block to go in a Monza back about 1983. Power glide, Dana 60 with 4.10 gears on a Dana Power Lock and 33/19.50 15 slicks. It ran down in the 9.0s before the owner sold it. The new owner ditched the blower for a 1250 and nitrous and went into the 8s.

I don't know what kinda power it had, but the Dana never burped.

-
Back