Dart rear tires

-
hey,
Hotwheelsjr
There is a MEASURABLE difrence between a 14" rim and 275/60-14 (works out to 26.99" tall) tire like yours and a 15" rim and 275/60R15 (27.99" tall) tire like SuperDart is refering to putting under his. That one inch can make a difrence. Also I do believe that the wheel wells on the older A bodies 70-72 were a little bigger because I am running the exact same size wheel and tire AND axle combo on my 73 that I had in my 71 except I narrowed the rear 3/4" on each side for overall narrower by 1 1/2", yet the wheels and tires are just as tight to the outer wheel well lip as they were in the 71. Only thing I can think accountable for it is the fenders are pulled in some after 73.

Exactamundo, Kraby!!

Hotwheelsjr -
The width isn't the problem. My rear wheels are already 15x8s, and they fit easily, also making the 235s look tiny under the car.

Look at the side shot of your wheel well:
DSCF0171.jpg

Now add 1" of diameter. That's 1/2" of radius to the tire...Which isn't going to clear that front rocker panel.

superdart said:
Exactamundo, Kraby!!

Hotwheelsjr -
The width isn't the problem. My rear wheels are already 15x8s, and they fit easily, also making the 235s look tiny under the car.

Look at the side shot of your wheel well:
DSCF0171.jpg

Now add 1" of diameter. That's 1/2" of radius to the tire...Which isn't going to clear that front rocker panel.

True, true...

Ok....here is one for ya to think about... Do we do the spring relocation?? We want to run the widest tire we can get under the stock fenders as we can. I have been told that you can take a set of stock 14" rallye wheels and have them enlarged to 15" and they can do the back spacing that you need to make it all fit. There is a local shop that does the rim re-fits and according to some of his customers..they turn out beautiful.
From what I have been told is that there is enough room to handle nearly a 12" tire with the right back space and springs moved inboard..

What you think....

Rick

12" of tire can be done with a set of 8" wide wheels (although 9.5" would be better). That will require some pretty aggressive spring relocation, and a possible mini-tub.

how hard is the spring relocation, I have been thinking about this for my 70 Dart Swinger? Chances are I would take it to a local speed shop, but for kicks and grins, I figured I would ask.. I was thinking about the mopar performance kit from jegs (mopar part # P4876558AB) its about $117 for the complete kit..... I dont think I am ready to tub it just yet, but I would like to get at least 10 inches of rubber under each side (or is this possible stock, if so what size tires and what back spacing)?!

how do the spring relocaters work? do you have to move your spring perches also?

Anybody who has their springs relocated can you please post up pics of the front and rear mounts for the springs, I too would like to see whats involved and how it's acomplished.

-
Back