Dartin for Divorce

-
Did it restart? Just die?

Drive throughs can be tough.. Lots of heat soak can build up while in one and cause vapor lock or overheating or a low voltage condition (not all alternators charge well at idle) or overheat ignition components..

At any rate, if it restarts once cooled off a bit then heat may be the culprit. If it doesn't restart once cooled.. Farther down the rabbit hole you go.

If there's another rabbit hole my wife will 100% kill me. I had my daughter with me so she had to come and get her.

I moved the gas line away from the valve cover to help it cool a little more.

20200506_184014.jpg

20200506_183818.jpg

Will it restart now? Sometimes things just need to cool off.

If not then check for fuel and spark. Since you just did the cam, could be a loose fuel pump (will stop pumping, might drop/drip oil too) or a loose wiring connection. That's where I'd start..

I don't see any gas going into the carb when I try to bump start it and look in the carb.

also, when it's warm, don't keep pumping it to get it to start, you'll flood it. put your foot on the gas peddle, just enough to crack open the butterflies, and keep it there while you crank it. probably got vapor locked trying to idle in the heat. if i'm stopped in one spot for awhile in the heat, i'll put it in neutral (with my foot on the brake :rolleyes:), so the idle will come up a bit.

I let it cool off more tapped on the pump and sending unit with one of the few wrenches I had. Then it started sending a little fuel. I'm assuming I had some "vapor lock." I'd assume a carb spacer, fuel pump, and fuel sending unit would do well in my car to help with the heating of the fuel.

Doc invest in a wood spacer 1/2 inch is all you need . Work well with the Edelbrocks . It keeps the heat off and help with fuel boiling in your bowls. You can get them through Summit , open or 4 hole .

thought you had a electric fuel pump in the rear of the car?

Are you referring to me 70aar yes I run the walbro but if your referring to doc ?.

I hate mechanical pumps, but electric ones seem to be hit and miss for quality. Any idea what brand yours is?

When you turned off the engine while in the drive thru, did you keep the key on for the radio or anything?

By shutting the car off, the gas percolated in the Hot Vegas air. Hopefully the car starts after it cools. Get the carb off the intake with this Edelbrock heat insulator. #9266

71oxP1vdRWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm assuming I had some "vapor lock."

I just watched a video from Uncle Tony (whitepunkonnitro) about vapor lock, and how to prevent it. It was an easy fix and cheap. Living in HOT country, this might be worth looking up and installing.

Here's the link:

Last edited:
Doc invest in a wood spacer 1/2 inch is all you need . Work well with the Edelbrocks . It keeps the heat off and help with fuel boiling in your bowls. You can get them through Summit , open or 4 hole .

I've heard of these wood spacers from a smart man before...

thought you had a electric fuel pump in the rear of the car?

I think what we (I) thought what an electric fuel pump is actually that dist coil. I thought about it tonight while in the parking lot lol.

I hate mechanical pumps, but electric ones seem to be hit and miss for quality. Any idea what brand yours is?

When you turned off the engine while in the drive thru, did you keep the key on for the radio or anything?

Radio? Lol I have an AM radio in the car that does not get used. I don't think I have an electric fp just an old mech fuel pump.

That buzz noise i thought was a electric fuel pump is the coil that is throwing a spark went you turn on the key....ok..

Radio? Lol I have an AM radio in the car that does not get used. I don't think I have an electric fp just an old mech fuel pump.

Just checking because if you leave the key on, the ignition and fuel pump can be energized and overheat as it sits.

If it's mechanical, make sure the pump isn't loose (been there, makes a racket though).

I had a lot of similar heat issues with my edelbrock carb while in Vegas, especially as Temps rose, was never an issue when highs were under 80.

I added a thick insulating Gasket and even wrapped my fuel lines - made no difference for me. Always seemed like the headers and cam conspired to keep my engine compartment hot. The bowls would always be dry everytime I shut off the engine for more than a couple minutes and would take several long cranks to get it started again - an electric pump could actually help but make sure it's not just a parts store special.

Looks like your fuel filter is almost touching the heater hose.

-
Back