Dartin for Divorce

-
That buzz noise i thought was a electric fuel pump is the coil that is throwing a spark went you turn on the key....ok..

Yea I was listening in the parking lot and it sounds like the buzzing is actually from the dist coil,

Just checking because if you leave the key on, the ignition and fuel pump can be energized and overheat as it sits.

If it's mechanical, make sure the pump isn't loose (been there, makes a racket though).

I had a lot of similar heat issues with my edelbrock carb while in Vegas, especially as Temps rose, was never an issue when highs were under 80.

I added a thick insulating Gasket and even wrapped my fuel lines - made no difference for me. Always seemed like the headers and cam conspired to keep my engine compartment hot. The bowls would always be dry everytime I shut off the engine for more than a couple minutes and would take several long cranks to get it started again - an electric pump could actually help but make sure it's not just a parts store special.

But parts store special is my favorite :poke:

Looks like your fuel filter is almost touching the heater hose.

Its where it was before. I do need to figure out a way to raise it a little more though. A hard line attached to the carb would probably be best right from the fuel filter to the carb though, which would also raise it up a bit.

Did you get your car started, or are you still sitting at burger king ?

Oh I got the car started, thought I posted that I did. Was busy getting in trouble when I got home :rofl:

20200506_190933.jpg

So figured out where the leak is heres the pool of fluid I came out to this morning.. The leak is coming from my speedometer plug... well that sucks... it has a new gasket so either the gasket is not sealing it properly or I messed the gasket up fixing the speedometer yesterday.

I got a new dist coil, this is the one that was recommended by some of the ECMs applications I was reading about.

I looked for a carb spacer/insulator but all the store had was an edelbrock 12410 which isn't really that thick and isn't dual plane. I'll look for something a little thicker and dual plane.

20200507_122200.jpg

20200507_122143.jpg

Screenshot_20200507-123115_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Dude ... Its like I'm speaking pig-latin with you.
I took my time to give you a photo and part number of what you need. Every suggestion I have given you is from years of experience with these cars, and you have bucked every suggestion. Why even try ?

Have you heard of hood clearance ?
Go get a bigger spacer, and then start the thread "Why doesn't my hood close" ? Even with the heat insulator gasket I suggested, your Mopar Performance air cleaner probably isn't going to fit under your hood. You will probably need a drop down air cleaner. But don't listen to me, and go ahead and get ya a big old wood spacer anyways. Painful Painful thread.

Dude ... Its like I'm speaking pig-latin with you.
I took my time to give you a photo and part number of what you need. Every suggestion I have given you is from years of experience with these cars, and you have bucked every suggestion. Why even try ?

Have you heard of hood clearance ?
Go get a bigger spacer, and then start the thread "Why doesn't my hood close" ? Even with the heat insulator gasket I suggested, your Mopar Performance air cleaner probably isn't going to fit under your hood. You will probably need a drop down air cleaner. But don't listen to me, and go ahead and get ya a big old wood spacer anyways. Painful Painful thread.

No need to get upset, I think you are assuming i do not listen to your advice which is definitely not the case. I always read about what you recommend and listen to your advice, do i always do exactly what you saying? No... I think everyone could have the same said about them from someone or another. But really I do appreciate the advice, if it is so painful I don't know how to help but I do not want you to be upset because of my thread, life's to short for that :thumbsup:

I checked out the spacer/insulator you posted, the 9266 which is also the one edelbrock recommends for minimum hood clearance. It is .3in thick, I went to the auto store looking for it and they didn't have one at the store even though the website said they did, I was just posting which one they had.

You mention hood clearance, I measured it this morning (before seeing you mentioning it). Took some playdo from my daughter and measured what clearance I have from the top of the air cleaner fins to the hood. I also measured from the top of the carb screw to the bottom of the hood. I have about 1in from the fins to the hood and about .75in from the screw to the hood. I also already have a drop down air filter base.

The phenolic spacers (what you posted) are great insulators as are the wood phenolic insulators. Im also trying to find one that is dual plane just like the 9266 and my intake manifold, which is just like the one you posted..I figured since I'm in Las Vegas and its hot a little thicker insulator/spacing would be beneficial to help keeping it cool, and avoiding percolating/ heat soak no?

20200507_140211.jpg

20200507_140149.jpg

20200507_135951.jpg

Wait till Mama sees that stain in the driveway. Heads will be rolling.

Yes she won't like the stain. So I'll have to clean them up. I tried a concrete cleaner on the garage floor and i wasn't to impressed with it. I've read there are more aggressive cleaners you can buy and I've also read about people using vinegar/bleach.

Upset I'm not Lol. It's your car, and it doesn't affect me at all. Frustrated might be a better word. You haven't listened to one word I said or suggested, and actually I'm kind of glad. I'll just leave it at that. I wish you luck with your car.

Upset I'm not Lol. It's your car, and it doesn't affect me at all. Frustrated might be a better word. You haven't listened to one word I said or suggested, and actually I'm kind of glad. I'll just leave it at that. I wish you luck with your car.

I'm glad I didn't take some of the advice too. If I had Id be running stock valve covers instead of my awesome Mopar valve covers :p

Wood is for a house... um... wood phenolic vs nitrile rubber composite... I think we are splitting hairs here. Only thing I'm thinking is carb 2x as far away would have better chance of staying cool. Think of being 1ft from a fire vs 2ft. Again may be splitting hairs in this application but if have the room to get the carb further away from the direct heat source I might as well do it no?

Next time you're in Vegas you're more than welcome to come by. I'll cook some steaks and we can drink a beer or two while we laugh at all the things I've done wrong with my car. :thumbsup: Speaking of steaks, I'm cooking up some ribeyes tonight.

20200507_155053.jpg

when you size that spacer, don't forget the motor twists a little as you show off to the kids, and that 3/4" will shrink to 1/4" or so

Yah, stock valve covers with a working pcv valve, wire holders,and baffles without JBweld holding them in place. Lol
You are losing performance and gas mileage on your car without a pcv. But what do I know. Lol I tried. :)

24hrs later, and you are now an expert on spacers ? :)
That's awesome !!!! Staying tuned on this one. :popcorn:

when you size that spacer, don't forget the motor twists a little as you show off to the kids, and that 3/4" will shrink to 1/4" or so

Yea I was just thinking of cutting down my carb screw a little more to get it more flush for spacing.

Yah, stock valve covers with a working pcv valve. Lol
You are losing performance and gas mileage on your car without it. But what do I know. Lol I tried. :)

24hrs later, and you are now an expert on spacers ? :)
That's awesome !!!! Staying tuned on this one. :popcorn:

Seriously Karen. I get it you've done so many awesome sauce mopars in your life and I make mistakes because I don't listen to you.... You live every day 1/4 mile at a time and mine doesn't go a quarter mile....

Ps... I'm not losing performance or mpgs by running the Mopar covers. Maybe you missed that part... where I took your advice (and others) about needing to have my pcv hooked up correctly... guess what?! I fixed it. Weird I know right. I have a brand new pcv valve, hooked up correctly, with the Mopar covers.

Ps- burger King was out of the coca cola slurpees too which really sucked.
Ya know, that stuff will decay your teeth. :poke:

Yes she won't like the stain. So I'll have to clean them up. I tried a concrete cleaner on the garage floor and i wasn't to impressed with it. I've read there are more aggressive cleaners you can buy and I've also read about people using vinegar/bleach.
Lacquer thinner and floor dry. Hose it down with the thinner and grind the floor dry into it with some elbow grease. Might want to wear a glove.

Yea I was just thinking of cutting down my carb screw a little more to get it more flush for spacing.

Seriously Karen. I get it you've done so many awesome sauce mopars in your life and I make mistakes because I don't listen to you.... You live every day 1/4 mile at a time and mine doesn't go a quarter mile....

Ps... I'm not losing performance or mpgs by running the Mopar covers. Maybe you missed that part... where I took your advice (and others) about needing to have my pcv hooked up correctly... guess what?! I fixed it. Weird I know right. I have a brand new pcv valve, hooked up correctly, with the Mopar covers.

Karen ? Really ? Thanks Richard !!!!

Last edited:
Purple power or oil eater is great for oil. On porous blocks, @Bodyperson is right: solvents. A scrub brush helps too.

The speedo sender should have an O ring and a lip seal on the speedo pinion. Are you leaking from the sender or from where the cable connects?

Most autozones I've been to carry the thicker dual plane (two ovals) gaskets in the performance and chrome aisle, but ymmv, it's a regional thing.

Be careful with the stud being too tall. I measured mine with clay on my GTS with the 499" stroker and looked to have plenty of room. My first time nailing it I have a wing nut dent in the middle of my beautiful hood. Joe

Be careful with the stud being too tall. I measured mine with clay on my GTS with the 499" stroker and looked to have plenty of room. My first time nailing it I have a wing nut dent in the middle of my beautiful hood. Joe
All depends on the motor mounts. Not so likely with spool type. Mount broke in my fury, noticed it when the hood lifted.

-
Back