Dash question: '70s dash board same as '68/'69 Cuda?

-

Brad54

Reaction score
I've got a '73 Duster I'm updating. I just scored a complete '70-'72 340 instrument cluster with full instrumentation, 150mph speedo and factory tach. It obviously won't fit in my standard Duster slant 6 dash.

A friend said he found a "last '60s" Barracuda dash board for me, and it'll bolt right in to the '73--I'll only need to weld up the hole for the ignition switch as the '73 is on the column.

Can anyone tell me if this is right?

Or do I need to search for a '70-'72 340 dash?

-Brad

As far s I know the dash frame will bolt up and welding up the ignition hole will fill the opening HOWEVER, there are some other issues that come to mind. The cigarette lighter is in a different spot on the Cuda dash. I am not 100% sure the cluster and bezel is an exact fit on the right side either due to the lighter being different and the housing using a thumbwheel radio versus the standard knob type unless you have a 70 cluster and bezel as it will have a thumbwheel radio too. Maybe someone with lots of knowledge will chime in either shooting me down or backing up some of my limited knowledge on doing this. Good luck.
Chas.

I'm curious about this too, the dash on my '73 Scamp is rusted out from a water leak (as well as the passenger floor pan :angry5:) and I'd like to install an earlier model dash in order to move my ignition from the column to the dash. Are all post '65 A-body dashes a bolt in swap?

You could probably cut your original dash frame to fit the rally cluster. I hope you got the wiring harness to go with the cluster I believe they are different.

I trimmed the metal in my 1972 Dart (Same cluster as yours) to fit the Rallye Cluster in. There are a couple of things different in the pin order on the Main Cluster Plug too.....

Later,
Bruce B.

-
Back