David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Holley 2245 has a 2-ring booster. This large-bore BBD has 1.562" throttle bores, & 1.314" venturis, with a single/traditional booster. And a metering rod/jet arrangement.
Diff pic of same carb I posted in the "other" MI thread, just rebuilt for My Buddy's survivor '71 Satellite Sebring-plus 383.

View attachment 1716029392
I think you're going to find that they will use the carb that they flow tested. I'm pretty sure, regardless of what's inside that engine, that they want it to look stock on the outside. That includes the 318 intake and carb.

What do you get if you have a male turtle and a female turtle sitting on the kitchen sink?

The main ingredients to a pot of turtle soup.
Just out of interest, have you ever worked on those 302 heads?

This was nothing more than something Tony thought would boost his popularity or give him credit for something. Only those obsessed over the 302 head are closely following this and making such a big deal about it. The heads are ultimately like fast burn Chevies from the 80's, junk as they found out. Port to port core shift like crazy, ending up with diff volumes, mid n low lift variables... how about the cost of guides for LS valves and the valves and hardware. You will always have more money into them than a better flowing head... and for what so you can run in a very limited class or window of performance. Running out of things to do is Dave vizard, and running out of snake oil.. is utg.
It's a 318 then it's not a 318 it's stock valves and Chrysler stuff then it's Chevy valves and Chevy stuff the lack of knowledge about parts interchangeability has them grinding on rods for 5 hours when they could have picked up a skinny little set of small rods and ran them for the power they're making. IItsa lot of work to repackage something that somebody else has done a thousand times before and make your own brand out of it...but Dave vizard does a good job of it.
One things for sure...its got a couple guys on here very excited.
yes, I'm the one who asked the question about the chamber size because I instantly knew by looking at it... it was bigger than a 318 bore. Been here and done this. Not one of them mentioned boring it to 4.04.. 340 ...because then it would just be a 340 with weak main webs/caps and shitty flowing heads.
I did 273 heads with 1.88's flowing the same 220's... it made a whopping 305 hp with a 4.04 bore and 375 tq. Truck motor...weeeee
some folks are in fantasy land.

Last edited:
And another things for sure, it's brought out all the whingers..Bitching and offering comment on the obvious..

This was nothing more than something Tony thought would boost his popularity or give him credit for something. Only those obsessed over the 302 head are closely following this and making such a big deal about it. The heads are ultimately like fast burn Chevies from the 80's, junk as they found out. Port to port core shift like crazy, ending up with diff volumes, mid n low lift variables... how about the cost of guides for LS valves and the valves and hardware. You will always have more money into them than a better flowing head... and for what so you can run in a very limited class or window of performance. Running out of things to do is Dave vizard, and running out of snake oil.. is utg.
It's a 318 then it's not a 318 it's stock valves and Chrysler stuff then it's Chevy valves and Chevy stuff the lack of knowledge about parts interchangeability has them grinding on rods for 5 hours when they could have picked up a skinny little set of small rods and ran them for the power they're making. IItsa lot of work to repackage something that somebody else has done a thousand times before and make your own brand out of it...but Dave vizard does a good job of it.
One things for sure...its got a couple guys on here very excited.
yes, I'm the one who asked the question about the chamber size because I instantly knew by looking at it... it was bigger than a 318 bore. Been here and done this. Not one of them mentioned boring it to 4.04.. 340 ...because then it would just be a 340 with weak main webs/caps and shitty flowing heads.
I did 273 heads with 1.88's flowing the same 220's... it made a whopping 305 hp with a 4.04 bore and 375 tq. Truck motor...weeeee
some folks are in fantasy land.
Every word is SPOT ON sir

Only those obsessed over the 302 head are closely following this and making such a big deal about it. The heads are ultimately like fast burn Chevies from the 80's, junk as they found out.
How many threads have you had shut down because you couldn't understand or believe they could flow more than 200 cfm? Yet here they are over 240..........

Last edited:
How many threads have you had shut down because you couldn't understand or believe they could flow more than 200 cfm? Yet here they are over 240..........
LOL, yep all these people looking for cracks so they can hammer in some Ego wedges. :rofl:

I hope they include what "real time" pricing would be to do what they are doing. Just for funs. For instance, if a guy went to Charlie and said "I want these 302's of mine to flow 240 with LS valves/new guides. What would the price be? Truthfully curious as to get to this flow how the price would compare to other aftermarket heads. Would it be cheaper? The same? Cost more? It would be fun to know.

I hope they include what "real time" pricing would be to do what they are doing. Just for funs. For instance, if a guy went to Charlie and said "I want these 302's of mine to flow 240 with LS valves/new guides. What would the price be? Truthfully curious as to get to this flow how the price would compare to other aftermarket heads. Would it be cheaper? The same? Cost more? It would be fun to know.
Why don't you ask the guy how much to port those heads for you.

Why don't you ask the guy how much to port those heads for you.
I have 302 heads, but I'm not going to port them. However, if somebody could get there for 900 bucks, then it may be a thought in the process if somebody was building an engine.

Charles is looking for some more heads..send him yours. Stick it on your Tube channel...

Don't hold your breath.

I have 302 heads, but I'm not going to port them. However, if somebody could get there for 900 bucks, then it may be a thought in the process if somebody was building an engine.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Servedio has at least 24 hours (thats the last number I heard) in developing what he has.

Like I have said from the jump, even with 240 CFM a 3k-port sized head with a 1.88 valve and a 50 degree seat and MINOR blending will blow the doors off of those 302 castings.

It won’t be close.

I got an email from my mentor and friend last night that had an 80 some page pdf attachment on GM flow testing and their tools and procedures for developing cylinder heads.

Its a great read. You’d be surprised how wrong some stuff is that gets played as proper cylinder head development.

Buddy, any known porter here, and even some unknown... can get the number.
I do. Do I want to put LS valves and change the guides for them to run those heads, nope...and I sure as hell wouldn't do it as a free test for you. You can't do it yourself and so you live vicariously through others, what a sad life that must be..unless you're in touch with reality...then you know how unique and one off this kinda **** is...
Respect or gtfo.

Last edited:
Charles is looking for some more heads..send him yours. Stick it on your Tube channel...
I won't pay for it, so he'd have to port them for free and send them back. What I would do is swap them to the Duster and see if they would outperform the stock SM heads. And I wouldn't have a dog in the fight, just honest feedback :) And understand, I am not against the MI project whatsoever! I'm "semi" following along. I've met Andy wood in person, seems like a outstanding man and consider him a friend in our community !!

That's funny both you guys have had name changes for bans i would imagine...........

Do I want to put LS valves and change the guides for them to run those heads, nope...and I sure as hell wouldn't do it as a free test for you.

Don't need you to do anything as my junk gets 11/32 Ferrea's with under cut stems so I know what happens when you go to a smaller valve stem. Last time I looked it was 2023 and why the hell would you bother using a 3/8 valve unless you cant afford a decent valve to start with.

That's funny both you guys have had name changes for bans i would imagine...........

Don't need you to do anything as my junk gets 11/32 Ferrea's with under cut stems so I know what happens when you go to a smaller valve stem. Last time I looked it was 2023 and why the hell would you bother using a 3/8 valve unless you cant afford a decent valve to start with.

And you are one of the three problem children here.

The Rat Bastid definition of a problem child: anybody who has the audacity to call out his bulls**t.

I won't pay for it, so he'd have to port them for free and send them back. What I would do is swap them to the Duster and see if they would outperform the stock SM heads. And I wouldn't have a dog in the fight, just honest feedback :) And understand, I am not against the MI project whatsoever! I'm "semi" following along. I've met Andy wood in person, seems like a outstanding man and consider him a friend in our community !!
You don't understand, he want's the heads to use in the MI project.. You won't be getting them back.

I sort of laugh when people throw a wobbly over the 24 hours invested in those ports.
I had a conversation with a friend about it the other day, he's been down that road, with great success..
He laughed and said, none of these people have obviously developed anything to it's full potential in their lives, otherwise they'd know how theses things go.
24 hours was nothing he said, he's got various heads sectioned and spent a lot more time than 24 hours developing the iron heads he was using..Built his own intakes as well .

Better not show them the 318 heads I have with welded and raised roof with 2.02 valves.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back