deactivated all my social media accounts

-
I don’t use FB or other social media. I only use a very few car forums that are interest based.

I also don’t judge people that do or call them names disparaging their character. Nobody that uses social media falls into one convienient bucket to pass judgement on. They come from all walks of life.

Social media is useful for some folks, just not for me.

Great example of how young folks like social media.

That is hilarious and true !
Ten years ago I post an ad and have fifteen applicants to choose from,and now can not get anyone to go to work been trying for a year for a helper.....

I don’t use FB or other social media. I only use a very few car forums that are interest based.

I also don’t judge people that do or call them names disparaging their character. Nobody that uses social media falls into one convienient bucket to pass judgement on. They come from all walks of life.

Social media is useful for some folks, just not for me.
Useful? You tube, Ehhh, not so much for me On my end to post up and gab.
Facebook caused me more problems than anything so I canned it. Useless for me.
I remember seeing your screen name! Mine was 72cudadude for a while then i changed it to 6pac2go
I recognize the second name.

[QUOTE="rumblefish360, post: 1972139433, member: 1189"

I recognize the second name.[/QUOTE]
Yep thats me i just logged in over there to see if i still could lol. I hadnt been on there since 2011 !! Holy cow I didnt realize it had been so long! I met alot of good ppl over there i need to send some emails and try to catch up!!
As far as the facebook goes i have a Facebook page i use it for the market place more than anything else i dont post much but i do browse. I have Instagram but never use it

Useful? You tube, Ehhh, not so much for me On my end to post up and gab.
Facebook caused me more problems than anything so I canned it. Useless for me.

I recognize the second name.
I use YouTube occasionally. It’s the only way to share videos of my GTS...

I love YouTube!! I dont post videos but I watch the crap out of them lol

Never have, never will.

Anybody I want to talk to, I'll just call them or visit them.

Nobody ever asked what Facebook got from them and now are all surprised that push came to shove.

Dummies.

So your calling some of us "Dummies" because we use Face Book. Screw you too :)

Accept for this one. (if it counts?)
Facebook,instagram,snapchat is all I was on.

Now I find myself searching old posts for knowledge and ebay for cool parts.
don't really miss it.

Asked my girlfriend if she could do the same and she just laughed.

At the insistence of others and against my better judgement...... For several months I kept in touch with other team members via facebook about 6 years ago. We were on Dan Miller's and Gene Adams' team (early hemi build for EMC). This was in the months following Dan's passing and had it not been for our friendship and my desire to help get his engine running for EMC that year to honour Dan's memory...... I never would have done it. Extremely frustrating. In my view, E-mail would have been a much better way to communicate. Anyway, I saw all I ever wanted to of facebook in those months and was so glad to get off there when my job was done.

Speaking of 'smart phones' and 'social media'...... I was visiting with sons and their families not long ago. We were in a restaurant and with the exception of our table and another table where an elderly couple were enjoying a nice meal and one another's company...... All the tables were filled with young to middle aged people sitting with their heads bent down fiddling with 'smart phones'. No interaction with others at their table. Just lost in a world of make believe. Much like the street scenes in the movie 'The Matrix' where the passers by on the street are oblivious to the presence of Neo and the others.

I noted that "That's just sad." and remarked "What a much better place the world would be if there were no 'smart phones' and no social media". My granddaughters agreed. Youngest granddaughter promised not to allow great grandson to 'get hooked on that stuff'. At this point, she is leaning towards moderation when he is old enough for such things. If it were my decision, he wouldn't get mixed up in that stuff at all.

Yes, 'smart phones' and 'social media' can be a useful tool (if you really need and want it). But not to the point that they become a time vampire and we lose sight of the things that are really important in life. And not to the point that we are pulled in to a Borg-like 'collective' where 'group think' replaces critical thinking skills.

Bottom line...... A man's gotta have his quiet time to think and reflect. Besides, social media seems to be built on the premise of being 'liked' by others and 'following' others. And the 'hook' of instant gratification. Just the opposite of what a person who thinks for themselves rather than 'going along to get along' should be doing.

So I made sure my sons and grandkids were taught from a young age the same as Mom taught us....... To decide for ourselves if a thing is right and even if every other person runs headlong over a cliff into the sea like lemmings as Mom would say...... To stand your ground and do what you know is right even if you must stand alone. Being a part of the social media Borg-like 'collective'...... 'Group think' if you will...... Is not conducive to independent thought and action.

And then there are the 'trolls'...... Don't get me started...... Life's too short to let folks like that live rent free in your head.

Best regards to all,

Harry

facebook is a great tool for many things. if you don't like drama then just block those people. so simple.. i see just as much drama on most of these damn car forums. drama is everywhere you allow it..

facebook market place is incredible.. it seems to be killing craigslist pretty quickly. can't believe how fast it has grown..

instagram is cool.. no drama there. its just pictures.. i follow a ton of people that post some incredible pictures...

Points well taken, Joe. I'm sure a lot of folks find certain aspects of facebook and other forms of social media to be quite useful. But its not for everyone.

Reckon I'm just from another place and time and the very concept is foreign to my nature. Especially the politically motivated 'games' being played using algorithms by those who run google and the various social media platforms in order to silence those with whom they disagree and shape public opinion to suit their own particular worldview rather than welcoming honest and open discussion of current events. To my way of thinking, that's just plain underhanded and I have no desire to be a part of it.

Best regards,

Harry

Especially the politically motivated 'games' being played using algorithms by those who run google and the various social media platforms in order to silence those with whom they disagree and shape public opinion to suit their own particular worldview rather than welcoming honest and open discussion of current events. To my way of thinking, that's just plain underhanded and I have no desire to be a part of it.

every web site uses algorithms in one way shape or form.. who pays attention to that crap? not me thats for sure. like i said drama is where you allow it to be. if someone is so weak minded that they are influenced by any of that crap they have more issues to deal with then a site using algorithms to begin with..

:) Of course they do. Algorithms like any tool can be used for good...... Or for evil. Its how they are used in the particular instance noted in my priour post to which I take exception.

Who pays attention to the use of algorithms to silence the great majority of Americans and condition others to accept the worldview of the people who run google, facebook and various social media venues? Excellent question. I would say that anyone who sees the undeniable bias in media would certainly take note of such things.

That said...... In my view, the great majority of those who can be manipulated to one degree or another by such tactics as are practiced by google and the various social media platforms have no idea what is being perpetrated on themselves and others by those who seek to shape public opinion in that way. They are probably reading your post and my own here and wondering what the heck we are even discussing. Hence my priour reference to the scenes in the movie 'The Matrix' where the passers by on the street are oblivious to the presence of Neo and the others.

Personally, I would prefer a level playing field for all and an honest and open discussion of current events, so long as those who choose to engage in such discussions conduct themselves in a civil manner and treat others with respect. But that's just me. And its just another reason folks such as myself are not a good fit for facebook and other such venues.

Best regards to you Joe and my comments were not intended to be argumentative. I respect your position. Just felt it necessary to state mine here, as well.

Harry

Personally, I would prefer a level playing field for all and an honest and open discussion of current events, so long as those who choose to engage in such discussions conduct themselves in a civil manner and treat others with respect. But that's just me. And its just another reason folks such as myself are not a good fit for facebook and other such venues.

never gonna happen.. too many people are of the opinion that if you don't agree with them that you are automatically wrong and will yell,scream and start name calling because you have a different opinion from them.. they turn into a bunch of kindergartners (just like just about everyone in politics).

all are easily avoided on facebook and the like by blocking such idiots.. sucks to eliminate such a good tool because of some idiots... just block the fuckers.. :)

It wasn't just one thing that made me decide to take a breather. The major thing was me. I found myself scrolling through pointless dribble every time I had some down time.

I've got a all or nothing kind of thing going on.
same thing happened with drinking but that's a hole other animal.

My wife just showed me the for sale section there.
Wow!
I dont even know where the facebook for sale section is....My kid played on a soccer team who's coach was also a guidance counselor at the high school. He said the fastest way to get DQ'd from a good college application was to have a social media account because they look at it...ALL OF IT! "Remember that Obama joke you liked 6 years ago? .....Bye Bye....." Because 95% of Academia is proud Liberal.

Id get off Facebook if my hot ex girlfriend would stop posting pics.....:)

never gonna happen.. too many people are of the opinion that if you don't agree with them that you are automatically wrong and will yell,scream and start name calling because you have a different opinion from them.. they turn into a bunch of kindergartners (just like just about everyone in politics)......

Sad to say, but I believe you are right about that, Joe. In recent weeks, those who are unwilling to have a civil discussion with those having differing viewpoints from their own...... Have stated publicly that they will resort to violence in order to impose their will on us all, as they do not have the votes to do so otherwise.

If that is indeed the case...... As the 2018 mid-term and 2020 elections draw nigh, I would expect them to attempt to repeat the violence their fellow travelers perpetrated in 1968 and 1972 at the Democrat National Conventions. Only this time, I suspect they will attempt to disrupt both the Democrat and Republican National Conventions.

Already, they are inciting others to emulate the actions of domestic terrorists, citing as examples the murderous deeds of the 'Weather Underground', et al.

Keep your powder dry,

Harry

Last edited:
There are some very good Mopar sites on FB, and others that get into drama when someone mentions the prices someone paid for a car! LOL.....
I also keep up with news from my hometown as it relates to those of us back in HS during the 60's.. I see some news from our kid's children which has NO drama.
In general there is a lot of stupid stuff there no doubt , I just look at what I am interested in.

Hate to tell you guys his but THIS is a social media site. You may claim it is "drama free"....but go look for any of the LS swaps...chest thumpers galore...which in my book is drama...

sl.gif

-
Back