Deathtrap, My 74 Plymouth Scamp

-
As a streeter, I've tried several different ignitions,(no MSDs tho) and I came to exactly one conclusion; If it lights the fire and continues 1000 rpm after the power-peak,in second gear,then the next thing I want, is to be able to get cheap parts for it when I'm 3 days from home.
To that end, I'm done with hi-powered CDIs or Multi-Strikes. and
to that end, I used to run parallel systems, in the factory harness; If the main hi-powered ignition craps out,I just move a couple of wires, and down the road I go. And I carry a spare pick-up in the GB.
About 4 years after I ditched the hi-powered stuff, I stopped carrying the spare junk, and I haven't had an ignition failure for IDK since 2006 maybe.
I ran the Orange box, a 1999 unit, for several years. It ran perfect. I thought I needed more ignition power, but I was wrong. That Orange box became my back-up,and I still have it, now powering up a different vehicle. The thing about the factory ECUs is any old box will fire it up in a pinch; just plug it in,ground it, and drive.
Don't misunderstand, the CDI systems and multi-strikes are a great system, but IMO overkill for most of us streeters. Good for you if you have one, but have a back-up plan that does not involve a tow-truck for 700 miles, from a foreign country.

So small update for everyone following. I got a Speedo cable that works, new master cylinder bled and brakes bled. My throttle cable holder just wasn't working as well as I wanted so I ended up buying the lokar set up. It will be here Friday. Meanwhile I just will work on small things like my stereo install and such.

Got to drive it for the first time in a year today! Gotta bleed brakes a bit more and I should be able to get it to work. Once at the shop I can get it timed properly and adjust the carb. Feels really good to get this close!

Well I put the deathtrap on a trailer and got it to work. Went ahead and fabricated up an exhaust out of some bits and pieces. Turned out pretty Well! I will link a video later tonight. Got the timing right and the carb adjusted. It runs better than it ever has! Went through and bled the brakes but the pedal feels wonky. It doesn't return up after stepping on the pedal. So I have to figure out what's going on.

20171208_212505.jpg

20171208_212445.jpg

20171208_204831.jpg

20171208_204744.jpg

I had a slight problem with brakes sticking but I posted over on the brakes section and got some info. Seems my brake booster rod was adjusted wrong and not letting pressure off. So I got that adjusted up better and I've had no problems with it. Pulled it in to the shop yesterday and did an oil change sense i wasn't sure when it was done last. Also started to weld up some holes in the engine bay, I will body work it later when the engines out but it looks a little better now! When I removed my heater I never sealed up the fresh air intake, so I busted out the plasma cutter and got a piece cut. When I went to put it in i found a lot more surface rust. So it's time to bust out the wire wheel and get to Work! Figure I can get it all cleaned up nice shoot some paint and then put new seam sealer on it. Also I made a sheet to cover where my old heater controls went. I think it cleans up the look and makes it more clean. I will continue making a couple more panels for my glove box and where my radio is. Once that's all done I will get a new fuse panel and relay block mounted up and hide all the wiring behind the dash in a nice loom.

20171213_190358.jpg

20171214_123719.jpg

20171213_190438.jpg

Well I go stranded the other day on my way to work. My ignition control module just gave up. Had my coworker come out in the shop truck and we just towed it into the shop. Got a new one at lunch installed and she started right up. Looking at the old one and I forgot to grind off two pegs, so it wasnt seated up next to the heat sink fully. Hopefully this is the only problem, but just in case I got an extra.

Got a new carb today! I am now running a Holley 600 and its running so much better now. Seems that something is up with my ignition system though, its got a stumble sometimes isn't the carb. I went through all my connections and everything is solid. So Tuesday I will be swapping from the HEI set up to stock. Also installed my new JEGS Hot Rod heater! Its nice to finally have heat in freezing weather. When I started to install it I decided that I needed to tuck my harness better, so a quick job turned into 7 hours when I cut out my fuse panel. On the bright side all my extra wires are gone and the interior looks much better, Just a few more wires to tuck away. Another thing I noticed is when the car is in drive and I'm stopped it feels like the transmission is popping. If its not one thing its another right? I planned on putting in new Ujoints anyways so when I'm doing that I will check out the 904. So now that I've got this close to being a solid daily driver I would talk about future plans. Body work and a simple dark shadow grey single stage paint job is next. Then I have a pair of 318 Cylinder heads with 360 valves installed with a valve job. Then the heads were ported and polished to improve flow. Figuring if I throw these on my stock 360 so I could bump up my compression. Just gotta find a good camshaft and new lifters to pair with them. Hope everyone has a fun and safe New Years!
-Jeremy

20171230_020803.jpg

20171213_190438.jpg

FB_IMG_1514134322915.jpg

Last edited:
So this past weekend I was working on my car in the shop at work. I went to rev it and see if my new voltage regulator was working correctly and my 904 made a loud clank and surged forward while the car was in park. I dropped the trans pan and found some things which are apparently not supposed to just be there. Lost one of the band's and there was a ton of debris in it. So the 904 has given up the ghost. Luckily I have a 727 that supposedly ran just fine. So I'm dropping the 904 tonight after work and preparing to install the 727. Which I have never messes with transmissions so this will be an adventure! I know I will have to shorten my drive shaft but other than that I'm not sure what needs to be done. If any of you have done it before I would really appreciate advice!

20180106_161635.jpg

Wow it's been over a month sense my last update! Sadly not much has happened. I left off prepping to put in my spare 727 but I pulled the pan off of that and there was metal shavings all over. So I currently have both my old 904 and the 727 sitting on a pallet at my work waiting for a rebuild. The 727 will be rebuilt by a buddy that works at a transmission shop so I don't have to mess with it. But sadly that has to go on hold, I'm currently saving money to buy a newer Subaru. So I figured while the car is down for awhile I may as well start getting it all straight. Next Monday night she will roll into the shop and get the engine yanked. I'm going to weld up all the holes in my engine bay, smooth it out, reinstall all my electronics and wrap my wiring harness, then lastly paint the bay to match the future body color, 03 Ford Dark Shadow Grey. Once that is all done it goes to my home shop where I get to start sanding down the body and getting it straight. All while doing this the plan is to take some time to clean up the 360, check the bore and bearings. If everything is good I have a pair of 318 with 360 valves that will go on. The heads are ported and polished so the idea is to bump up compression with a smaller chamber but still have it flowing well. The heads are all done I just have to find a cam that will make the most of it. Where do you guys go for camshaft? I honestly don't know much about cams so I want to get some guidance with it.

But once that is all said and done I hope to have the motor put together and the transmission rebuilt. Figure if all goes well and I keep working at it this summer I will have it painted, and then install the motor and trans. I will do my best to keep everyone updated with lots of photos and possibly some video. I've been messing with my Go Pro and might make some videos of progress for everyone!

Been a crazy week. Got the motor pulled and started to weld up the whole then my girlfriends ignition switch in her Honda went out. So the money that was going to go into deathtrap went to buying a whole new ignition switch and getting it installed.

20180220_183023.jpg

20180220_212819.jpg

20180223_143002.jpg

20180223_143858.jpg

Found a 1974 scamp go use for parts. Car has some nice interior parts that are going into my car. The 360 is still sitting in my shop right next to my 727 quietly awaiting there turn to be built up and refreshed.

82DC0FFB-0E1D-484A-9FC4-281AE65BD4FD.jpeg

213390B5-ED1E-402D-A576-2CC4ED608C2A.jpeg

A13EB0D1-8B25-4F6A-9E94-41DE194D3A44.jpeg

1D1BD0B5-16E1-4F3C-80BD-2530393A98E2.jpeg

8D093229-74F6-4A85-9BBE-3C1EDC27A43B.jpeg

Well engine bay is pretty much done. Just gotta clean up some of my mess ups throw another coat and go on to the bodywork!

2CB3799D-C924-4E2B-AB82-63F7C7D9217D.jpeg

2BF8F9F6-D2A2-49E9-8998-52547D61B069.jpeg

Hey everyone. So I decided that I wanted to change up my dash so I chopped it up and welded up my new design! Got it all mocked in the car and it’s going to be awesome! This week I plan on getting the autometer ultra lites installed along with my switch panel and heater control. The goal is to find a good double din stereo and install it with a backup camera. Let me know what y’all think please. Also got my old seats cut out of the car and mounted up my new bench seat. Feels great!

1C4B222B-CDD7-451E-85EF-9E70284C6B39.jpeg

254E6AF2-9EFE-4589-8291-E4BDD42FBE4A.jpeg

Update time! I’ve got most of my interior installed! Whooooo this is a big visual step and is amazing to see it all. Really motivates me! My dash turned out pretty well I think and I’ve still got room to grow and add more stuff so I’m happy. I also got my new to me windshield installed. So for now that’s all my interior stuff. I’m currently waiting on the headliner to ship and my subframe connectors. Once the subframe connectors are installed I will be sound deadening and installing a carpet kit. But until then I will be working on laying out my wiring and getting that all mounted.

4D2BC45F-C4BD-40A7-8094-A1F12DFB93E0.jpeg

C9410138-9DC0-44DF-99F5-2A2CFEB9FD34.jpeg

09D102BD-D2C1-429D-ACCE-65B2FC4090F8.jpeg

C79D8830-2D8A-4F11-AE11-07C8213BA07C.jpeg

3D19F6C0-DC70-4C43-B9F9-D7A23DCB1573.jpeg

FF27F2A5-87A1-4603-B1FD-255A7B938EA7.jpeg

Well not much of an update but I got my headliner and I’m going to be installing it soon. Tomorrow night is my 360 tear down and paint. Then installing a set of 318 heads that are ported and polished and fitted with larger valves. I’m still trying to figure a camshaft for it though so if you have any suggestions feel free to chime in and let me know! My 727 is at the rebuilder right now. Once it’s back I hope to swing everything together and measure for changing my driveshaft.

Man I read this thread again and holy cow I changed my mind so many times. Time for an update. My 727 is rebuilt and almost ready to install, I took apart the 360 and it was worn so I ended up selling it and going back to my 318. It’s currently headed to the machine shop being bored to .030 over and zero decked with KB167 pistons. Also going to have the crank polished for the new bearings and balance everything. Got a new oil pump, water pump, and motor mounts.

Photo is from woodburn dragstrip. Loved the car and using it as inspiration!

787380F4-5AAE-4177-9BE5-0BCBBCB90938.jpeg

Update time once again. Block is bored 30 over got my KB167 pistons in and had the block balanced. Heads are still 318 heads but have the 360 valves installed and have been ported and polished by my mentor. Found out my old oil pan was junk because of how beat it was so bought a new one and had baffles installed. Found a Mopar P4452761 Camshaft for cheap from a friend and had to order new lifters sense I found out my old ones are from an AMC. As for the rest of the the build the 727 is done and sitting in the garage and waiting, Torque converter is being sent out to be redone, wiring is all done and back to a stock ignition system, I made a raised mount for my shifter but still need to install it. I moved to Tacoma, WA so now I am 3 hours away from my car. Once its driving I will bring it up to me and hopefully daily drive it. So that's where I am at now and I want to thank everyone that has followed this build and encouraged me. Its been a long 2 years sense I started but I am so much closer now and I am starting to feel my motivation again! Im glad to be able to read others Stories and get motivated

Motor is done and currently sitting on my cherry picker waiting to be installed. Making a parts run in the morning then getting as much as I can done! I will update tomorrow

4E4425A5-103A-4FF5-9CBB-4EE2A72A728C.jpeg

092763A6-C9F6-4980-BAF9-F6C4889CB01E.jpeg

F22AF6D2-00EC-40EE-A9FC-9993743EB5C5.jpeg

AB88AC1A-C8C6-437F-8220-9DB5570C39C9.jpeg

Cool build man, reminds me alot of my Dart. I have a question for you on the wiring harness you used. How did you like it ? I think you said it was an EZ brand kit. Looking to do something similair on mine but looking for advice. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Cool build man, reminds me alot of my Dart. I have a question for you on the wiring harness you used. How did you like it ? I think you said it was an EZ brand kit. Looking to do something similair on mine but looking for advise. Thanks and keep up the good work!
Honestly I cut mine apart 3 different times . As for a just direct replacement it works good but the diagram for the ignition isn’t right. If your gonna modify and change things then I say do your own and make it the way you want it. Eventually I will rewire it again to use relays and such. Eventual plans include a full sound system with woofers, nitrous system with bottle warmer and controller, but for now it works.

Well motor and transmission is in! Took 2 weekends and some cursing but it’s in. When I first went to drop the engine and trans in I learned that my cherry picker wasn’t gonna let me do both at the same time. So I dropped the engine in. Next to get the trans in with a tiny little jack I put a 2x4 on one side then lifted the other end and slid a 2x4 under that and went back and forth until it was close then slid my little jack in and finished lifting it up! This point I got bolts through it and had it attached I went back up and realized I forgot to put my headers in before dropping the engine
At this point I had to drive 3 hours away to go back to work so I had to call it. The next weekend I had free I got one of my good buddies to come over and help me! We lifted the motor and trans together and snaked the drivers side header from the bottom and then shifted the motor over and was able to drop the pass side in from the top! Ended up taking off some paint from the motor & engine bay but it was well worth it! Mounted my intake manifold and carb and started working on getting my trans crossmember in. All said I’m super happy with the progress that’s been made. Finding a place local to Tacoma, WA to get my driveshaft shortened that way next time I go down I can hopefully start and drive it!

25EE93A5-C31C-4CA5-963A-10D6F6D48A68.jpeg

1A3445E3-4C63-4F05-92C9-2FCD1AE051BE.jpeg

66D0E8F6-0BC7-427F-B11F-FED7B1FD0CF0.jpeg

-
Back