Deeper oil pan for 904

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So I was looking for a transmission oil pan with a drain plug. I know Chrysler made them because I had a 70 fury with OE transmission pan and it did have a drain plug.

So i can't find any stock replacement ones but I found a few aftermarket options. All of those are deeper pans and have a magnetic drain plug.

At first I was like "pass" on the deeper pan and aftermarket ideas but then I started to think maybe it could work.

So my questions are: does extra fluid in your transmission cause any side effects??

Is it good for the transmission to have more fluid than it originally called for?? Are there any real cooling benefits to a deeper pan?

I like the drain plug...

No side effects that I know of and should add some cooling,not like adding a cooler but still some.Make sure you get the extension with the pan as well.Mopar perfeormance had one,I don't like the chrome as I had one peel inside so I just go stamped steel and paint,it comes with the extension.You could also look at some of the "newer" oe pans like the 42re type,they are deeper with drain but still need extension.

i just got a mopar performance deep 904 pan with the extension bolts and gasket for 100 bucks cad at the dodge dealer it is steel and great quality and it has a plug . anything you add oil capacity to is a plus , engine or transmission .

Look up Summit Racing RT off road transmission pans #RT24001
Deep pan, spacer, filter, screws, gasket and drain plug included.
Great price $53.99

The recently rebuilt/freshened spare 904 for my Dart... deep pan with sender for trans. temperature gauge

IMG_2248.JPG

Last edited:
Rainy Day, I have very nice chrome 904 pan but you need to find the extensions for it. Do you need it? Its picture is in the book if you have it. If not, I'll post it.

This is sure a twist from you.
I though you were manual transmission only.........
As far as the question, the others are right about the capacity increase is always better.
The factory didn't include drain plugs because they wanted you to change the filter when you changed the oil in the transmission.

This is sure a twist from you.
I though you were manual transmission only.........
As far as the question, the others are right about the capacity increase is always better.
The factory didn't include drain plugs because they wanted you to change the filter when you changed the oil in the transmission.
Sure makes it easier to drain the fluid without a mess so you can change the filter. LOL

What TMM said! Changing the fluid in a transmission at operating temperature without a drain plug is no picnic & it makes one hellious mess. LOL

No ill effects whatsoever, AS LONG AS it's a quality pan. The extra fluid keeps temperature down. High temperature is the enemy of an automatic transmission. Anything you can do to keep that temperature down will prolong the life of your transmission.

Last edited:
Look up Summit Racing RT off road transmission pans #RT24001
Deep pan, spacer, filter, screws, gasket and drain plug included.
Great price $53.99
Have you used this one? I’m looking at a new pan thanks to a leak that I think is to a warped pan and this deal seams a little too good to be true.

The "Lube Locker" style gasket is a big help and its reusable.
Also, a dipstick o ring or shifter shaft/TV lever seal can look like a pan leaking..

The recently rebuilt/freshened spare 904 for my Dart... deep pan with sender for trans. temperature gauge

View attachment 1715513129
Beware of ground clearance with that one. Even if the car is stock height the (much) deeper pans can kiss the pavement every so often. My aluminum pan looks exactly like that one and the fins at the very front have been somewhat ground off by the pavement.

Beware of ground clearance with that one. Even if the car is stock height the (much) deeper pans can kiss the pavement every so often. My aluminum pan looks exactly like that one and the fins at the very front have been somewhat ground off by the pavement.
Thanx especially since my car sits low.. my 8 qt. engine oil pan hangs lower than the trans pan though

IMG_0038.jpg

-
Back