Deer hunting rant

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
My long time hunting land is no longer available. My parents both passed and we sold the house and land. I was invited to hunt with an old friend and his family at public land they have hunted for years. It was very nice of him to offer. I take my hunting seriously. I get up very early and am in the woods quietly sitting long before shooting light. I am quiet, reasonably scent free, and i stay all day if possible. These people are so different, I don't think I will come back again. Opening day I am up but no one is in any hurry to get moving. We finally get to the woods and it is light out. I literally ran to my stand. Because I got there before everyone else, I had a buck pushed to me and I was lucky enough to drop it at 250 yards. At nine o'clock they were done. We had to go back to the house until the afternoon. Then we did't get out until an hour before sunset. Too late, and no deer. The next day I went out out early by myself because no one would get their *** in gear. I am sitting in my stand for forty five minutes and my buddy comes stomping up and asks how it's going. Well, if you didn't just walk through my area at the best time of the day scaring off every deer in the county, I might do better! Later, we are walking the woods and he spits and talks the whole time. I told him that we need to be quiet so we don't scare the deer. He just won't shut up. It's as if he expects the deer to walk out and offer themselves to him. Neither he nor his wife can physically walk far because they are so out of shape. Why hunt at all if you aren't willing to do what it takes to do it properly? I finally walked the woods alone and a long way away from everyone else and got another small buck. I did all the work and got all the deer and I get to split the meat four ways. I love to hunt but man, I need to find another place or buy my own land. Rant over.

I hear you. F'en Donny Potter walking up, talking so loud my buddy hear him clear as a bell over 100 yards away. Public land sucks.

Dude, I feel your pain.

I hate when my buddy freaking walks right up to my stand and wants to friggin shoot the breeze because he don't have the patience to sit in his own damned stand for a couple hours.

I have had other hunters walk within 75 yards of my stand, wave at me, sit on a log and even take a crap right there all while making some ungodly sounding moose calls during deer season.
It takes a lot of patience not to go ballistic on these assclowns.

I quit hunting with my best buddy this season since refuses to not smoke in the jeep on the way to the mountain, he smokes on stand and walks up to my tree every freaking time we go out.

I don't like to talk on the way to the stand.
I don't like to talk while on stand and I don't like to talk while walking out just in case.

But he does and he has a deep low voice that carries.

I love the guy to death but like you said, it seems like they think the deer are just gonna run right up to you and present themselves.

Maybe during rut while chasing does hard, yes I have seen them walk right up to people.
They have walked right past 5 foot tall camp fires during rut.

If you get a chance, check out my hunting story from last week where my other , more hu ting conscious friend nailed two bucks and a doe all at once.
It was amazing.

If you get a chance, check out my hunting story from last week where my other , more hu ting conscious friend nailed two bucks and a doe all at once.
It was amazing.
That was indeed a great story. Not a hunter here but know a few. For these guys it is not about the hunt but about getting away from the families and getting drunk. They will go out a head of time and do some scouting but whne it comes to the hunt they are more concerned about having enough booze & beer than anything else....

I gave up a long time ago. Bullets flying around everywhere. People shooting at anything that moves. My guns getting damaged, when I might need them for something more important. I can hardly find a place to fish anymore without someone having to buzz by me in their 300 horse bass boat at wide open throttle.

I gave up a long time ago. Bullets flying around everywhere. People shooting at anything that moves. My guns getting damaged, when I might need them for something more important. I can hardly find a place to fish anymore without someone having to buzz by me in their 300 horse bass boat at wide open throttle.
People try to fish the lake in front of me......until the guy with the Blown BBC shows up. DNR allows him to go full throttle between the park and the dam.....

If you had hunted in these same conditions all season long and never saw a deer I could understand your rant.

The deer by my house are so tame you can talk and almost walk up to them.

If you had hunted in these same conditions all season long and never saw a deer I could understand your rant.

I got my deer because in spite of of all the negative thinngs happening, i separated myself and worked hard to get my deer. No one else did. If I had hunted with them as they did I would have gotten nothing. I take my hunting seriously and want the meat. Hunting doesn't mean the same thing to everyone, apparently.

I get your frustration man, we have a huge dog hunting problem where I live. They'll pull right up to our managed land and let loose, then sit across our property and wait for the dogs to run through our land. Worst part is that they'll pull in peoples driveways and don't care where they're shooting. A friend of mine's house was shot up a few years back.

dont let this happen to you hunters,my parts man at work,i work at a truck dealership,he was hunting saturady,fell out of a tree,broke both legs,had no phone or walky talky,crawled 1400ft which took 2 hours,got to the road where his truck was at,one woman stopped and took off didnt call for help,a man stopped and took off didnt call for help,finally a woman stopped and called 911,hes out 10 weeks from work

So ... guess who got to butcher the deer? I was telling them of the way I skin deer. I hang the deer by the neck, roll the hide down a bit at the neck, roll in a tennis ball, tie the winch cable from the ATV around the ball and pull in the winch. It strips the hide off fast and easily. They were interested, so I did them both. They asked how I butcher the deer. They said they hang them and quarter them and cut out the back straps while hanging. I tell them I find it easier to do with the deer on a table. So I have to show them. I ended up butchering both deer and cutting all the roasts, etc... they very graciously washed all the meat after it was done - five hours later. Now I have to go up next week with all my sausage making equipment and grinder. I'm pretty sure I will be doing all the work and I am positive I'll end up buying the pork to mix it with. Definitely the first and last time I hunt with them.

So ... guess who got to butcher the deer? I was telling them of the way I skin deer. I hang the deer by the neck, roll the hide down a bit at the neck, roll in a tennis ball, tie the winch cable from the ATV around the ball and pull in the winch. It strips the hide off fast and easily. They were interested, so I did them both. They asked how I butcher the deer. They said they hang them and quarter them and cut out the back straps while hanging. I tell them I find it easier to do with the deer on a table. So I have to show them. I ended up butchering both deer and cutting all the roasts, etc... they very graciously washed all the meat after it was done - five hours later. Now I have to go up next week with all my sausage making equipment and grinder. I'm pretty sure I will be doing all the work and I am positive I'll end up buying the pork to mix it with. Definitely the first and last time I hunt with them.

I've heard of skinning deer this way, just never tried it. We always hang them by their rear legs to clean them. Sorry about your troubles; they sound like most people nowadays. Just wanting a handout. Have you ever tried just olive oil (or grapeseed oil, canola oil, ect) in your hamburger? (If you do hamburger too) Works great and doesn't add the fatty taste to the meat. We grill deer burgers at parties and people are always surprised at how much better our burgers are than beef. And the patties don't shrink on the grill, you just gotta figure out how much oil it takes to hold the burgers together. Hope your friends make themselves useful with the meat processing for your sake.

-Forrest

Have you ever tried just olive oil (or grapeseed oil, canola oil, ect) in your hamburger? (If you do hamburger too) Works great and doesn't add the fatty taste to the meat. We grill deer burgers at parties and people are always surprised at how much better our burgers are than beef. And the patties don't shrink on the grill, you just gotta figure out how much oil it takes to hold the burgers together. Hope your friends make themselves useful with the meat processing for your sake.

-Forrest

I've just sprinkled a little garlic salt or garlic powder on them with a heavier coat of Lowery's seasoning and grille them up...

Yes, it does taste better than regular burgers/steaks.

Garlic is great on deer! I make my own sauce/marinade for deer thats kinda garlicy. Its great on thin strips of backstrap on the grill. I have one friend that'll stand by the grill from the time he gets to the house til I take the strips off the grill just so he can have the first of it.

-Forrest

I make a spicy marinade with teriyaki and thousand pepper sauce for my back straps and cook or grill them medium rare. Absolutely fabulous. I never tried the oils in the burger. I usually mix in an egg to help hold it together, but I love a venison burger - straight with no other meat mixed in. It tastes great and is lean and good for you.

As with many other things, there are different degrees of how dedicated people are. There are people that are hunters and there are people that hunt. I don't judge either of them. I am a hunter but not a fanatic. I also shoot my fair share of game. Yes I do smoke when I am in the stand. But, and this is a big but, I position my stands so that it doesn't make any difference if I smoke or not and only hunt those stands when the wind is right. The talking part I don't get. If you are sitting in a stand by yourself, who are you going to talk to?
As far as the processing of the dear, you must have said something that made them think you were much better at it than them and they went along with it. I can't blame them any more than I can blame you.
I do feel sorry for you guy's that don't have much of a choice where to hunt. Up here there is a **** load of public land, it's all I hunt. My spots are very remote to most but I don't find them hard to get to at all and I very rarely see another hunter. You guys should try hunting where there are only 4 to 5 deer per square mile and it is mostly thick forest. I may put some of those other problems in perspective.

Jack

I really find it hard to believe your complaining? You were invided to hunt, shoot 2 bucks? As his guest I would think you would honor his way of hunting. or you can do what I do, lease hunting land by myself. This way you call all the shoots, make all the rules, decide what is your idea to harvest or let walk. This method has made my life a whole lot easier.

There seems to be two types of deer hunters ones that doing the right way and others that do it the wrong way. I hunt like you hunt in your first post.

You know perhaps its not that what they do but maybe dont know how to do. Maybe a little education could go along ways. Teach them the ways of the wise man and maybe you will have hunting buddies for life. What I'm saying is maybe they were never taught the proper way to hunt?

Come to Michigan, We have enough white tailed field rats for everyone. Not a fan of venison, unless it's a black and white deer that hangs out in barns saying moooooooooo!

I really find it hard to believe your complaining? You were invided to hunt, shoot 2 bucks? As his guest I would think you would honor his way of hunting. or you can do what I do, lease hunting land by myself. This way you call all the shoots, make all the rules, decide what is your idea to harvest or let walk. This method has made my life a whole lot easier.

I understand what you are saying, but understand that I only got my bucks because I detached myself from them and actually hunted. If I had stuck with them, I would have gotten nothing. As it is, I believe in all hunters share the spoils. So the deer that I worked hard for, cleaned and butchered, and will make into sausage gets split four ways. I have hunted in parties many times. I never felt this way before. With these folks, I feel like I am doing and paying for everything and they are reaping the spoils.

I do want to mention as well - this hunt was on public land, not private. I went to hunt with an old buddy, it just turned out less than I hoped for or would have believed.

-
Back