Demon "Classic Air" AC Install

-
Like I told 6pk, insulate the floor, a hard top might be better than mine as all I have is the cloth top. My unit blows 36 degrees running down the road.

:thumblef: Well thanks to U, this is yesterday's progress. I think it was a great idea while the interior was out anyways........I bought 1 roll of foil backed insulation from Home Depot for under $25. It did the whole floor :D

Demon AC Install 007.jpg

Demon AC Install 008.jpg

Demon AC Install 016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, same stuff I used. Got some 3M sray adhesive to hold it down a little tighter to the floor.

You WILL notice a big change putting the insulation on the floor,I'm the only one in our group who did it and it makes a BIG difference in the car--Steve

Great post! I was wondering about these kits & how they were. Now we all have a better idea of what they're like to do. I'm guessing in AZ a/c is almost a must for healthy & happy cruising. Stay cool!

Good Post I'm going to put one in befor I put all my dash back in . I have a factery air 72 Demon I was told by Classic Auto Air it would not work , but I am going to try . Waco Demon

Good Post I'm going to put one in befor I put all my dash back in . I have a factery air 72 Demon I was told by Classic Auto Air it would not work , but I am going to try . Waco Demon

It wont, their system is set up to use all of the non air holes in the radiator suport, and non air fire wall. I think they can set you up with parts to make your factory unit work though.

You WILL notice a big change putting the insulation on the floor,I'm the only one in our group who did it and it makes a BIG difference in the car--Steve

I'm hoping it will make a difference Steve. Every single degree helps here in the AZ desert :sunny:

Great post! I was wondering about these kits & how they were. Now we all have a better idea of what they're like to do. I'm guessing in AZ a/c is almost a must for healthy & happy cruising. Stay cool!

:thumbup: Thank U.....yes AZ is ideal for AC in a classic car sometimes even in the winter months LOL

I think U would need some extensive work on the firewall if your car came from the factory with AC, but you may want to call them like jaws suggests for parts to update your original setup. I really don't know..........

!!COOL!! Pun intended!!

Thx........8-) 8-) 8-) I hope so instead of :ncool: LOL

x2 what jaws said. I have been dealing with them about my '72 with original factory A/C. They want me to use their Flex Fit System.

Here are the differences between an OEM A/C and a non-A/C a-body:

1. The firewall has a bigger cut-out for the fan motor on A/C cars...not a problem, just make an adapter ring out of sheet metal or sheet aluminum.

2. Dash controls are different......use and electronic controller or find a non-A/C controler.

So, if you are mechanically inclined enough to install an entire HVAC system you can take care of the small stuff yourself. As you can see, even the "custom fit" unit needed some work.

:thumblef: Well thanks to U, this is yesterday's progress. I think it was a great idea while the interior was out anyways........I bought 1 roll of foil backed insulation from Home Depot for under $25. It did the whole floor :D

Well, now the other person can't keep saying "what?" and blame not getting it because of road noise!

Went and checked their website for my car. Sure enough

http://www.classicautoair.com/?q=67_69_Barracuda_Air_Conditioning_Mopar_AC.html

I was wondering if cars without tinted glass would need tinting for the system to work correctly? I have been told that the glass would need tinting or the AC would not work at all!! I didn't really believe that but I don't know for sure.

It certainly helps but it was 90 degrees here in GA today with 80% + humidity an my windows in my 65 Barracuda are not tinted and it was pretty cool in my car even after driving for 45-60 minutes.

Here are the differences between an OEM A/C and a non-A/C a-body:

1. The firewall has a bigger cut-out for the fan motor on A/C cars...not a problem, just make an adapter ring out of sheet metal or sheet aluminum.

2. Dash controls are different......use and electronic controller or find a non-A/C controler.

So, if you are mechanically inclined enough to install an entire HVAC system you can take care of the small stuff yourself. As you can see, even the "custom fit" unit needed some work.

Thank you for the post, I knew that the hole for the heater blower motor was larger (I am currently making an adapter) and I have the control head and bezel for a non A/C car. You have answered my question about the difference between the 2. Thanks again.

Nice work so far! :thumbup:

I may have to do this on my cars eventually.

I wonder how the cost compares to reconditioning an original set up? I have a couple of A/C set ups, as my Challenger and EL5 GT both have factory A/C. But of course nothing works. I bet the new compressor is a lot nicer than the factory style though.

I haven't abandoned this thread and thanks to all that are following. It's just been really hot here.....115* for days LOL :ncool:

I'm really hoping the AC unit will cool the car as a few members have already mentioned.

Also, have been stalled figuring out some upgrades to the stereo system while the interior is out. I decided to purchase a new Pioneer deck and think it's going to be recessed in the glove box....the supplied one is pretty useless anyways. Thank U Tony for the idea :thumbup:

You can also get a marine enclosure and mount it on under the dash or on the hump,if you looked in my Duster last year at Indy you have seen what I mean--Good Luck!!!! I can always drive out and put A/C in your garage for you !!!!!! Steve

Also, have been stalled figuring out some upgrades to the stereo system while the interior is out. I decided to purchase a new Pioneer deck and think it's going to be recessed in the glove box....the supplied one is pretty useless anyways. Thank U Tony for the idea :thumbup:

That was my plan also but, with thw AC unit in there the deck wouldn't go back far enough(door wouldn't close). I ended up going with Secretaudio, under the pass. seat.

You can also get a marine enclosure and mount it on under the dash or on the hump,if you looked in my Duster last year at Indy you have seen what I mean--Good Luck!!!! I can always drive out and put A/C in your garage for you !!!!!! Steve

I had to look for alternative locations for the stereo deck placement. There really is no room under the dash anymore, due to the addition of the new AC ducts. Also, I have underdash gauges and a floor console, so the choices were very limited.

A/C in the garage would be awesome 8-) I'm not so sure about the electric bill for it though LOL :)

Thx Steve :thumbup:

That was my plan also but, with thw AC unit in there the deck wouldn't go back far enough(door wouldn't close). I ended up going with Secretaudio, under the pass. seat.

Believe it or not, it was quite the challenge to coax it to fit in the glovebox, but it's finally in :D

Used a dremel to cut the opening in the new glovebox. Had to hack it up in a few places LOL

glovebox-stereo-004-jpg.1714533777

View attachment Glovebox Stereo 004.jpg

glovebox-stereo-014-jpg.1714533778

View attachment Glovebox Stereo 014.jpg

glovebox-stereo-011-jpg.1714533779

View attachment Glovebox Stereo 011.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice factory looking install. I will have to steal that foam backed insulation idea. AZ is a PITA in the summer.

Believe it or not, it was quite the challenge to coax it to fit in the glovebox, but it's finally in :D

Used a dremel to cut the opening in the new glovebox. Had to hack it up in a few places LOL

I tried it up there but it just wouldn't go back far enough. Looking at you pics, it looks like your A/C unit hangs a little lower than mine.

006-jpg.1714533793

007-jpg.1714533794

View attachment 006.JPG

View attachment 007.JPG

Very nice factory looking install. I will have to steal that foam backed insulation idea. AZ is a PITA in the summer.

:thumbup: Thx hemiT I actually got the insulation idea from here on FABO. That stuff is really easy to work with and very inexpensive. One $25 roll of insulation did the whole car with some left over. I decided to use some for the kick panels too.

I'm hoping the AC install will extend the cruisin' season a few months more.

demon-ac-install-027-jpg.1714534944

View attachment Demon AC Install 027.jpg

-
Back