DeWalt Tools, Replacement Battery question?

-

hemi71x

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'v got six lithium- ion, battery powered, DeWalt tools, and only one battery between them all.
Time for me to get at least one more.
Boy, come to find out these official DeWalt replacement batteries cost $100.00 dollars, and more these days.
I would like to know, find out, if generic batteries that you see advertised on ebay, at cheaper costs are worth it to purchase, and work just as well?
Anyone care to comment what batteries you use for your tools?
Thank's a lot.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Last edited:
I have tried 2 different after mkt Dewalts, both didn't have enuff oomph, and didn't take a charge for very long, lasted maybe 6 mos at less and less capacity .
If I had to stick with Dewalt, I'd go original with warranty .
I can prob give pix of the duds if you like .
Gone Milwaukee, twice the quality imho .

Last edited:
I’ve been running the DeWalt tools for years now. The generic batteries are all cheaper for a reason. I have yet to retire any of my DeWalt batteries, they’ve held up better than expected with the oldest ones being 7-8 years old now. I’ve got a handful of batteries, from 2ah up to 5ah. Amazon has sales on them occasionally, the twin pack of 5ah batteries was on sale for the holidays. I bought the tools with batteries included for a little while, they’re a little cheaper that way. Not that I have a bunch I just buy the bare tools.

I tried these from Amazon. I got 2 batteries for $70. They have been great. I bet they are made in the same factory in CHINA but just don't get the Dewalt name stamped on them. I would highly recommend them.
Amazon product ASIN B08PK7WVH8

I buy the batteries and/or add more tools when they have big sales. Father's Day and Black Friday to Christmas have good pricing.

Not trying to make fun or be snooty but if you have six tools they deserve 1 more good battery. Frankly, at my age, 74, I rarely use battery tools, because no more than I use them, it's difficult to keep them all in shape.

I've bought camera batteries from the cheap ebay sellers, and there is no doubt that, generally, the performance is NOT on a par. Some of them don't even have the same protection, AKA the termal sensor used by the charger

Not trying to make fun or be snooty but if you have six tools they deserve 1 more good battery. Frankly, at my age, 74, I rarely use battery tools, because no more than I use them, it's difficult to keep them all in shape.

I've bought camera batteries from the cheap ebay sellers, and there is no doubt that, generally, the performance is NOT on a par. Some of them don't even have the same protection, AKA the termal sensor used by the charger
I know.
That's why I'm asking about purchasing another battery, and the pro's and con's as to what's available.

Dewalt is pricey as hell up here. No way I could afford them unless they made me $$. And minimal warranty? Go Ridgid, lifetime warranty.

Getting factory batteries 're-packed' is a waste of time. Stick with factory originals - they last longer.

I tried with Makita, and they are difficult to get generics for.....Makita use a chip for protection inside the battery. Used Makita for 20+ years now, and am still more than happy with my choice.

Earlier this morning i found a vendor on ebay, that i purchased a new, genuine, DeWalt lithium-ion battery out of a combination kit, for the price of $104.00, plus the mailing.
Guess, I'm comfortable with that price, so i paid it, and now just have to wait on the mailman to get it to me.
That price is at the lower end of the hundred dollar plus, prices that they are advertised at.
Thank's everyone for your input, with my question.
Appreciate it.

Earlier this morning i found a vendor on ebay, that i purchased a new, genuine, DeWalt lithium-ion battery out of a combination kit, for the price of $104.00, plus the mailing.
Guess, I'm comfortable with that price, so i paid it, and now just have to wait on the mailman to get it to me.
That price is at the lower end of the hundred dollar plus, prices that they are advertised at.
Thank's everyone for your input, with my question.
Appreciate it.
If you’ve got the 20v tools Amazon has a sale on the 5ah batteries right now, no funny business with resellers. $134 for two

DEWALT 20V MAX XR Battery, 5 Ah, 2-Pack (DCB205-2) https://a.co/d/2CRhESf

Turns out that i didn't tell you guys the truth, when i posted the ad.
Forgot that i am starting out with two lithium-ion batteries.
I have one on the vacuum cleaner, that's in the closet, and not on any of the shelving in the garage.
Well, anyway, I'm happy to be getting a third battery, for all the tools, that i have, along with the plug in regular electric ones.

DeWalt Tools 001 (Small).JPG

I use battery tools professionally.
Dewalt is by far the best.
I've gone through milwaukee and makita and a few ryobi's 5 to 1 compared to the dewalts.
I still have 20 year old 18 volt dewalts that work just fine.
The 20's are even better. Last longer. Buy the proper batteries as they are worth it.
The tools my company uses are beat over and over. Dropped 20-30 feet. Installing full boxes of screws on a daily basis. You know how employees are on tools that are not theirs so these get beat.
Dewalt is the best and their factory batteries last longer than any others and the dewalts provide better torque and longer battery life than any other brand .
Just suck it up and buy the new ones. Well worth it.

Turns out that i didn't tell you guys the truth, when i posted the ad.
Forgot that i am starting out with two lithium-ion batteries.
I have one on the vacuum cleaner, that's in the closet, and not on any of the shelving in the garage.
Well, anyway, I'm happy to be getting a third battery, for all the tools, that i have, along with the plug in regular electric ones.

View attachment 1716088338
Last year Tractor Supply had a 2-for deal on the 6ah flex-volt, bought them to back up the chainsaw 9ah, and the (2)10ah (non flex-volt) in the push mower. When it comes to Li, I only go with the mfr's stuff, not worth the small savings to risk burning down My Home. MAC Tools is the DeWalt hi-output stuff, if You come across any of their stuff.

I have all M18 milwaukee but this still applies. I bought a couple of the china clone batteries about 6 months ago. They dont last as long as an equivalent size Milwaukee battery but they also charge up twice as fast. Speaking of charging, I dont charge these China batteries unattended. If im leaving the shop they come out of the charger. I try to do that even with the real milwaukee batteries.

Even with my dewalt products I don't leave batteries alone over night.
Not the old 18's or the new 20's. Or any other batteries for that matter.
I don't pay 10K a year for just one of my insurances to risk burning anything down. Unplug everything.

My mailman just delivered this battery to me.
I'm happy with my purchase from the ebay vendor that i bought it from.
Turns out, that she sells lots of them.
I gave them very favorable feedback.

One type of DeWalt clone battery wouldn't release from the drill, I ended up breaking one battery tab getting it apart .

One type of DeWalt clone battery wouldn't release from the drill, I ended up breaking one battery tab getting it apart .

Not that I'm planning on buying anything other than DeWalt batteries, but what brand of the clone batteries was that?

Not that I'm planning on buying anything other than DeWalt batteries, but what brand of the clone batteries was that?

I don't remember the names, I'll get some pix in a while.
IIRC one clone had weak DeWalt colors, no name, other was grey and ?.
I'll get back in a bit.
Cheers .

During my quest to find and buy this battery, there are so many of them out there that look just like an official DeWalt battery, without having the name on them.
Then they are deceptively advertised as "for DeWalt tools"

I have a DeWalt drill the wife bought me probably 15 years ago, it came with 2 batteries and it is still going strong.
It seems like a battery will last for 6 months or more, and I use the drill almost everyday.

I also have alot of M-18 tools, the factory batteries seem to need charged after a hard days use.
But the tools probably have more draw, weed-eater, skill-saw, saw-zl, hand grinder, impact gun.

Battery powered tools are handy, just grab and go.

-
Back