Did they ever produce a slant 6 4 speed with a console in 1966?

-

Steve Meador

Reaction score
I am wondering how butchered this car is. the body is stock. It looks like the original engine. The original buckets have been removed, but are available. It has a console and a 4 speed. It is a GT.

I am wondering how butchered this car is. the body is stock. It looks like the original engine. The original buckets have been removed, but are available. It has a console and a 4 speed. It is a GT.
I'm sure one could have ordered a slant six with a 4 speed. There are people on this site who are always looking for a 4 speed bell housing
for a slant six. The standard engine for a 66 Dart GT would have been a 225 slant six.

I've owned at least a half dozen sl/6 4spd early a-body Dodges. I've only seen, personally, 1 oem sl/6 4spd Barracuda. All were oem combos. I've never seen a slant 4spd console on an early a-body, but I've only seen a couple early a-body 4spd consoles in the last 50yrs, and those were at swap meets.

Will the fender tag show the transmission type, or do I need to find a build sheet? I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. I thought it seemed weird that someone would go tho the trouble of swapping in a 4 speed.

1966 could have a slant six, and a 4 speed. I don't know about a console. Auto trans with floor shift had a console. You could go to MyMopar and spend some time looking at the parts book, that is down loadable. Might find out for sure, if they list a console for the 4 speed.

According to information in Roger Kizer's new book and other factory documentation, in 1966 a 4 speed transmission was available only with V-8 engines. The console was only available with a 4 speed or A/T, so that pretty much eliminated both a 4 speed and console for 66 when one ordered a 6 cylinder engine.
Different story for 65...4 speed trans were available with either 6 or 8 cylinder engines.
Does this mean zero 1966 Barracudas exist as factory built 6 cylinder, 4 speed with console cars? Of course not, there are verifiable stories about Chrysler filling "not available" special orders.

Last edited:
Here's a page out of the Dealer Data Book for 66 Dart:

Capture.PNG

Here's another, and to the op's original question, yes. Just check the box on the order form.

Capture.PNG

According to information in Roger Kizer's new book and other factory documentation, in 1966 a 4 speed transmission was available only with V-8 engines. The console was only available with a 4 speed or A/T, so that pretty much eliminated both a 4 speed and console for 66 when one ordered a 6 cylinder engine.
Different story for 65...4 speed trans were available with either 6 or 8 cylinder engines.
Does this mean zero 1966 Barracudas exist as factory built 6 cylinder, 4 speed with console cars? Of course not, there are verifiable stories about Chrysler filling "not available" special orders.
That is very possible. I might have been recalling 1965.
PS: I had a 66 Cuda with a 170 and a pushbutton shifter in a console.
Neither of which were available from the factory. :)

Will the fender tag show the transmission type, or do I need to find a build sheet? I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. I thought it seemed weird that someone would go tho the trouble of swapping in a 4 speed.
well, I used the guts from one of my early a-body sl/6 4spd Darts to convert my 66 B'cuda sl/6 3-on-the-tree to a Hurst-shifted 4spd on the floor. It wasn't all that much trouble to do, and it may seem like a "weird" thing to do, but it is a great combo in my opinion.
FWI: I believe the 66 4spd would have the "inland-type" shifter, which, IMO, though cooler looking, is a poorer shifter compared to the Hurst units.

well, I used the guts from one of my early a-body sl/6 4spd Darts to convert my 66 B'cuda sl/6 3-on-the-tree to a Hurst-shifted 4spd on the floor. It wasn't all that much trouble to do, and it may seem like a "weird" thing to do, but it is a great combo in my opinion.
FWI: I believe the 66 4spd would have the "inland-type" shifter, which, IMO, though cooler looking, is a poorer shifter compared to the Hurst units.
Yep those Inland shifters weren't the best especially if you get a little rough with them. Sometime in it's life, mine was converted to a round stick Hurst. If I wanted to get nostalgic, Brewer makes an adapter to mate the Inland stick to the Hurst shifter. Best if both worlds.

I believe there are 2 cast numbers for the /6 four speed bell. I know I have one sitting in the shed somewhere. HINT! maybe. Yes they are hard to find and not really cheap either.

I think Roger should have looked around the Hamtramck site at the factory ordering information before writing that statement. LOL

The fender tag will show the transmission. It's under the upper case "C" in the middle row. Normally a Dart should have a
1 for 3 speed, a 3 for 4 speed, and a 5 for Torqueflite.

FYI..1st gear ratio for 1964-65 4 speed transmission was 3.09:1 while the 66 1st gear ratio was 2.66:1. That 2.66:1 1st gear start would have had 225 6 cylinder grunting a bit to get moving.
I have a 65 and 66 4 speed cars, personally I love the 3:09:1 first gear found in the 65 trans better than the 66. A lot less wear and tear on the ole clutch even with the 273 HP.

I am sure someone somwhere somehow has a book (Galen's maybe) or info that tells what years the 2 cast numbered 4 speed slant six bells wee made for. I bet those setups came without an console???
I picked up my slant 4 speed bell just so IF I decoded to do such, I would have that bell. I never considered much about exactly what years it was used. I have a 62 Lancer that was a 3 on tree, which I have always hated. It is going back with a 3 speed and floor shift out of a 71 "Duster. The 3 speed that came with it that year has no provision for a floor shift. 61 did.

I think Roger should have looked around the Hamtramck site at the factory ordering information before writing that statement. LOL
That wasn't his statement, he simply reprinted dealer information sheets sent by Chrysler stating 4 speed transmissions for V-8 only.
Sorry for the confusion.

FYI..1st gear ratio for 1964-65 4 speed transmission was 3.09:1 while the 66 1st gear ratio was 2.66:1. That 2.66:1 1st gear start would have had 225 6 cylinder grunting a bit to get moving.
I have a 65 and 66 4 speed cars, personally I love the 3:09:1 first gear found in the 65 trans better than the 66. A lot less wear and tear on the ole clutch even with the 273 HP.
Exactly! I think the 3.09 low would be nice. It would get that 273 up in the power range in a hurry.

Capture.PNG

Without pictures, how are we supposed to see how butchered the car is or is not? Lame

Where is SlantsixDan when we need him most!!????
I love the 63-9 A bodies till learning after all these years. Learing is fun.

Without pictures, how are we supposed to see how butchered the car is or is not? Lame
well, yeah, everyone loves pics, but the 4spd tunnels in those things were not works of art to begin with. Trust me, I've cut out at least 3 or 4 and it's hard to do and not make a bigger mess out of them, hahaha.

I am going back to look at the car Saturday. I will take plenty of pictures. I am trying to get a feel for whether or not it is worth buying. It is interesting enough that I plan to make the 100 mile drive each way again this weekend. Hopefully I will be posting pictures tomorrow night. It is a Dart GT. I did run the VIN decoder to confirm the GT and that it was a slant 6 factory car. I am also going to see if I can find the build sheet. I truly appreciate all of your comments. Thank you!

The paper work I have for Plymouth lists 4sp with V-8 only
Yes, the illusive 225-4 speed. The Hamtramck site has AMA specs for some of the model years that tells exactly what was available to order.

-
Back