Did they make 5x4” axles for 8 3/4 rear ends?

-
Been here since 06 rookie nut swinger. You should go away. :icon_fU:
I thought you said he was going on ignore ?

tenor-3.gif

I’m swapping out my rear end. I needed axles for the 8 3/4 rear end I found. My car has the small bolt pattern. The rear end builder is telling me they never had small bolt axles for 8 3/4” rear ends. He didn’t believe I had a small bolt pattern so he ordered large pattern. Now he’s telling me they need to redrill my axles? They don’t make small bolt pattern axles? Am I getting screwed here?
THEY DID. I had one in my '65 Dart for many years. Came from about a '68 Dart. Perfect fit and with the small bolt circle.

I’m swapping out my rear end. I needed axles for the 8 3/4 rear end I found. My car has the small bolt pattern. The rear end builder is telling me they never had small bolt axles for 8 3/4” rear ends. He didn’t believe I had a small bolt pattern so he ordered large pattern. Now he’s telling me they need to redrill my axles? They don’t make small bolt pattern axles? Am I getting screwed here?
I have the original axles that came out of my 69 Dart 8 3/4 small bolt pattern and the rear drums.....they are yours FREE I live in LA CA.

Thats funny all three of my cars have an 8 3/4 with the 4 inch bolt circle

You can't buy them new any longer but there's plenty of used for sale from guys converting to 4.5 (I have also seen them free, there's a post in here)
Just buy a set of used install new bearings and you're good to go.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with him. I got him to exchange them for me. He gave me the “I’m the guy in the business” bullshit. He agreed to exchange them. Trying to find people to work on Mopars is a *****. No one in SoCal knows a thing.

I'd suggest getting involved with the CPW club if you are in the LA area. I KNOW members of that squad are very knowledgeable and some are even on the FABO list. The local Mopar clubs are great at putting you in touch with local resources. Lived in LA years ago...now east coast...

I'd suggest getting involved with the CPW club if you are in the LA area. I KNOW members of that squad are very knowledgeable and some are even on the FABO list. The local Mopar clubs are great at putting you in touch with local resources. Lived in LA years ago...now east coast...
I read a post in this thread towards the end and there's a guy in CA. says he has a set of 5X4 he'll give away.

visually, how does the 8 1/4 look compared to a 8 3/4. ?? don't want to miss read the part when peaking under.

Wow !!! No need for foul language bud. Totally unnecessary and uncalled for.
I was referring to your statement on nobody in SoCal knows a thing. SoCal is a hot bed of anything classic car wise. You just picked the wrong guy. Add another dude to the ignore list.
Yup, kinda where it all started ain't it?

No ****? He ordered 5x4.5’s and now wants to charge me $250 to have them redrilled. He’s already built it. What do I do? Return the original axles? I’m kinda upset
Axle manufacturers will make pretty much anything you specify. Catalogue parts is different. Sounds to me the builder is a headstrong SOB. He screwed the pooch and wants you to cover the cost for his screwup. Tell him it is his problem and you are not paying for the wrong axles. If he does not like that, let him talk to your lawyer.
An additional thought, if he screwed getting the proper axles is the diff set up correctly with pinion preload, gear lash and pattern? May be wise to obtain a second opinion.
Checking pinion preload is simple if you have an inch pound dial torque wrench. The carrier needs to be removed as you only want pinion rotating torque. The torque to get it turning is not important. Once you get it rotating, watch the dial and note what it takes to keep it rotating at an even speed.
Carrier bearing preload is important to get right. Not enough and the carrier can move left. Gear pattern is extremely important for long life and quiet cool running. This involves gear marking paint to see how the drive and coast sides of the ring gear mesh. There are youtube videos and books that show photos of what is correct, pinion too deep or shallow, backlash too tight or too loose.
If you are unsure about tackling that get the second opinion from someone experienced that will walk you through it or let you observe. If it is not correct now, bearings or the gears will fail prematurely.

Last edited:
I am sorry to laugh but LOL
People struggle to give them away
P.S. Small bolt axles use different drum brakes vs Large bolt axles. If he "swapped" you to a LBP set up and wants to re-drill them, then you will need to get LBP brakes and re-drill those as well.
Sounds like taking one step forward and 10 steps backward.
Not 72dartguy problem. The guy doing the work ordered the axles, so it is his responsibility to make it right.

I dunno. It may be someone who does big work and this one caught him off guard. To be honest most people I know outside of the Mopar world won't have a clue about the SBP. It really is a unique item in the Car world. However if it was questioned some simple research would have probably prevented this thread from ever getting posted IMO.....

JW
Kind of like early Mustangs and Falcons had 4 bolt wheels. Then Ford went to 5 bolt, back to 4 bolt on the Turbo Coupes and Mustangs in the 80s, 4.25 pattern.
If doby wants proof, take him a wheel.

Chit if I know. The A body used the 8 3/4 with the small bolt pattern only until 1972. In 1973 they dropped the 8 3/4 for the A body and went with the 8 1/4. How certain are you that what you have is an A body 8 3/4?
Who cares what year the axle came from. Early cars had 8 3/4 with SBP. If that is the pattern on the car, that is what he needs.
If you order axles from any of the manufacturers you spec what you need. If you have C clip axle retention and intend to race, many sanctioning bodies require the big Torino ends and pressed on outer bearings and retainer. They make the axle to fit the bearing for any housing and width. Splines are speced also.

I just got off the phone with him. I got him to exchange them for me. He gave me the “I’m the guy in the business” bullshit. He agreed to exchange them. Trying to find people to work on Mopars is a *****. No one in SoCal knows a thing.
Trying to find anyone that knows anything these days is a pain.
I am almost 70 and a neighbor is trying to convince me to go back to the oilpatch as a consultant (instrumentation mechanic experience) because the young bucks don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. Dobies can not read a tape measure in metric or imperial. They go to a number printed on the tape and "X" ticks past.

find a different guy!

i have 8 3/4 in my 1964 barracuda.small lug pattern.

Thanks guys, yeah, the guy is a stubborn dude. I proved he messed up and he agreed to replace the axles. I shouldn’t have had to bring him a wheel and lug nut from my car to get him to agree with me, but I did. I’m 60. Not a mechanic, but worked in construction for 30 years. I know how to read a tape measure :lol:

Who cares what year the axle came from. Early cars had 8 3/4 with SBP. If that is the pattern on the car, that is what he needs.
If you order axles from any of the manufacturers you spec what you need. If you have C clip axle retention and intend to race, many sanctioning bodies require the big Torino ends and pressed on outer bearings and retainer. They make the axle to fit the bearing for any housing and width. Splines are speced also.
I’m not racing it. I have a built 727 and my rear is Posi with 3:73 gears. It should be about the same as the new Challengers.

-
Back