diesel guys

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
what are you using, if anything for an upper cylinder lube? i bought a case of Lucas a while back and am almost out. was told by a couple of old timers about diesel fuel being "dry" and they both swore by Lucas. Noticed in my Duramax that the motor is alot less rattly with the Lucas in it, maybe just wishful thinking but it does seem quieter.

I use Lucus in my Cummins, buy it in gallon jug, put it in 1/2 gallon container that has 8 oz. marks on it. Put 8 oz in each fill up. I don't notice a DAMN difference at all. But since they have changed the fuel I feel I need something in it.

95 Cummins with 123,000 miles and would like to get another 250,000 at least out of it

So it has taken 15 years to get 123K so it should last me another 30 years...........LOL

i use 8 ounces or so per fill up. i did use Seafoam (?) at least that is what I think it was for a couple of tanks. Thing was almost as quiet as a gas motor...

this may sound crazy but this is what i was told by a 30yr tech..i own a dump truck and was buying the lucas never seen a diff. talked with the tech ask him what to use he said lucas is a wast of your money..use some trans fulid every time you change your fuel filter...now i pour a hole qt in my filter it smokes just a little but it seems to me that it gets a little better fuel mil. and it runs clean and better...now as for as a daily driver truck put a little in the filter and try it ....not in the tank cause it will smoke a little until its all gone... hope this helps

this may sound crazy but this is what i was told by a 30yr tech..i own a dump truck and was buying the lucas never seen a diff. talked with the tech ask him what to use he said lucas is a wast of your money..use some trans fulid every time you change your fuel filter...now i pour a hole qt in my filter it smokes just a little but it seems to me that it gets a little better fuel mil. and it runs clean and better...now as for as a daily driver truck put a little in the filter and try it ....not in the tank cause it will smoke a little until its all gone... hope this helps
i was also this, but just as a maintenance thing. had another old timer tell me to use 2 stroke oil instead of Lucas....

i know that the trars worked good for me been doing it for 3yrs not a problem and hope none anytime soon...if the truck is under warr. thats something you need to cons. but if not hay try it once and see for yourself....he said its the best cleaner and lube you can buy hands down...comp. 2.00 to what 30.00 for a gal. of lucas its worth a try i think...let me know how it works for you...

i was using redline syn 2 stroke lube in my buddies vw rabbit back when i had it stuff made it run MUCH better and didnt smoke more than normal

I add 8 to 10 oz. of 2 stroke oil in the tank at every fill up. In the winter I add about the same 8-10 oz. of Diesel additive with the 2 stroke oil.

I mostly run red in mine (stay's on farm) I have an 04 and never had any trouble with it .It's chiped at about 450 horse right now,The red has alot more lubrication in it ,I think thats why it runs so good, also have 5 inch exhaust and k&n filter. If i do run road fuel i put about half quart of oil in fuel.About every other tank.

hay i know guys that change there oil and put what they get out back in the tank for fuel..i never tried it thought about it but just couldnt....but hay i did the trans thing it works...and oil is part of fuel anyway right........so hay maybe a qt here qt there never know........and about that red fuel...i know you know but please dont get cought on the road with it from what dot told me in nc its 1500 per gal. that you have in the tank.....i got stopped and they checked my fuel once in the 72hr check point man they go through everything from lug nuts to air press. so keep it on the farm your good highway be careful....

hay i know guys that change there oil and put what they get out back in the tank for fuel..i never tried it thought about it but just couldnt....but hay i did the trans thing it works...and oil is part of fuel anyway right........so hay maybe a qt here qt there never know........and about that red fuel...i know you know but please dont get cought on the road with it from what dot told me in nc its 1500 per gal. that you have in the tank.....i got stopped and they checked my fuel once in the 72hr check point man they go through everything from lug nuts to air press. so keep it on the farm your good highway be careful....

I have used small amounts at a time of UO just made sure it was filtered well but I just use PSDA now.

I've never added anything to my fuel, waste of money if you ask me. I've had diesels since the first Cummins in a Dodge in 1989. I also have a diesel Jetta and am a Chrysler diesel master tech. They were designed to run on pure diesel without additives, the people that tell you sulpher was a lubricant are wrong, it's a corrosive so ULSD is actually better. This info is straight from Chrysler and if you have a newer diesel with the after treatment exhaust on it you'll probably be screwing that up by putting oils in the fuel and those parts are really expensive to replace.

my duramax is an lb7 series, and if you do some reasearch on them you will see injector failure is there biggest issue. and from what some old timers have told me it is largely low sulfur fuel. my truck is smoking quite a bit lately, it will soon be going to a dealer for them to test the injectors. a set of them is about $1800 plus the days to put them in. so anything that might prolong there life is worth looking into.....save the should have bought a dodge comments please......

my duramax is an lb7 series, and if you do some reasearch on them you will see injector failure is there biggest issue. and from what some old timers have told me it is largely low sulfur fuel. my truck is smoking quite a bit lately, it will soon be going to a dealer for them to test the injectors. a set of them is about $1800 plus the days to put them in. so anything that might prolong there life is worth looking into.....save the should have bought a dodge comments please......

Okay you should have bought a Cummins then.......:poke::wave:

The ULSD has been in Europe for years before it came here, since your Duramin is an Isuzu engine I'd think that would have been worked out years ago. For the record the last generation of 24V Cummins 5.9's had some injector issues too but it was traced to not having the proper plating on the pintle. All the 2 stroke and motor oil in the world isn't going to fix that.

The ULSD has been in Europe for years before it came here, since your Duramin is an Isuzu engine I'd think that would have been worked out years ago. For the record the last generation of 24V Cummins 5.9's had some injector issues too but it was traced to not having the proper plating on the pintle. All the 2 stroke and motor oil in the world isn't going to fix that.

LOL,
man I have seen that movie too many times...

On the fleet I maintain we use
View attachment 118959
Has prevented many a fuel system overhaul after the errr ' misguided'
operator filled the unit with gasoline and ran it until it would not run anymore.
8 oz per 30 gal, once a year.

injectors are $350 a piece for your duramax. i work for a chevrolet dealership.
the 02-04 1 motors are under warranty for 7 yrs or 200,000 miles for fuel in oil, excessive fuel rate returns. will have a possible ses light on. but they will snap shot fuel rates to determine whether it qualifies. rates between 4 to -4 are ok. anything past 4 or -4 require changing. will not cover smoke at idle. unless you get lucky and they just try to run it through..

use some trans fulid every time you change your fuel filter...now i pour a hole qt in my filter it smokes just a little but it seems to me that it gets a little better fuel mil. and it runs clean and better...

just better hope you never get caught. at least your not putting it in the tank. then you would be screwed if DOT ever decided to check your fuel. since you are dying it red you are putting your self in jeopardy. that is a hell of a fine to pay for not even actually buying the real stuff. best advice is do what i do. if you are going to put the lubricant in your fuel.
use 1qt of outboard 2cyl boat oil. it is blue and no worries of the DOT doing a check on you. believe me I have been checked. took a load of cattle to the sale barn and they were setting there checking all trucks for weight, license and fuel samples. all this for only hauling a 26 ft trailer and 10 cows. i had no worries though. i was ok and new it.

-
Back