Difference between solid roller and flat tappet

-
Considering your bracket racing, I’d stick with a SFT & seek an aggressive fat lobe cam. I see Solid Roller Cams as ether for a good solid street cam or a balls to the wall race cam, which of course are two way different lobes... I know....

The limiting factor for there use is really there cost, for the street, it’s a pricey endeavor that you have to be OK with there cost. At the track, it would be a heads up class I’d make there use in. And if it is a heads up class, your spending big money.

I think it also depends on if you are at the limit of what HP your heads can support. If you are already taking advantage of the flow potential then you probably won't see much gain, if any (just my guess).

Not an apples to apples comparison, but the only one I have from personal experience. My old 410 stroker motor ran a small solid roller from Comp (248/254 @ 0.05 with about 0.576 lift) and 10.8:1 compression ran 10.7-10.8 on typical warm summer days. My new 408 stroker (same heads/intake/carb/etc.) has a larger solid flat tappet from Hughes (264-268 @ 0.05 with about 0.620 lift) and 13:1 compression runs 10.3 on warm summer days....so 4-5 tenths difference using a bigger cam and more compression (the rest of the combo was the same between the 2 engines).

Not sure if that is helpful at all since it is not a like for like comparison, but its all I have. My guess (if I were to make one) if you have an aggressive FT cam, you probably aren't missing out on too much HP....maybe 10-15 ish??

How many yrs diff. between the two designs would be another angle.

-
Back