Disappointing #'s?

-

440+6scamp

Reaction score
Ran my car for the 1st time on the 1/8th this weekend. It ran a best of 7.68 sec at 88.6 mph w/ a 60' of 1.67.

Using this converter:
http://www.hotrodpitstop.com/tools.html#3
a 7.68 1/8th would be a 12.06 1/4. Using that and the fact that my car weighs 3580 lbs (w/ me) it would take 395 HP. I was hoping for more then that w/ the following build:

440 6 pack
.030 over
9.5 comp
274/286 cam w/ .488/.491 lift (.521/.524 w/ 1.6 rockers)
lightly ported 452 heads
headers
MSD ign
4.10 gear
727 w/ 3000 stall
slicks (no traction problems)

Do these #'s seem a little disappointing? I know folks will argue that the six pack setup isn't ideal but I would've hoped for more. I'm sure there's a little left in timing and carbs.

Speaking of carbs, would it do me any good to invest in the promax metering plates for the outboard carbs?

On second thought, is that HP at the wheels? This one says that a 3580 lb car would take 405 HP at the wheels to run 12.04 in the 1/4:

http://robrobinette.com/et.htm

However, using the 17% driveline loss, it says that would equate to 475 HP at the crank. There's no way I've got that much is there?

welllllll.... allls i know is my 74 duster 440 that is

.030 over
10.5 to 1 compression
magnum cam grind something like .458 lift .268 duration? whatever a 383 roadrunner was
stealth aluminum heads
schumacher tri y's
pertronix style dist. w/ blaster 2 coil
3.55 gear
727 w/ 3000 stall
28x10 slicks

ran a 12.66 @ 105 mph and a real low 8 in the 1/8th

i think my car would be realll close to 3600 with me in it aswell.

i would say your numbers look pretty good. good combo also

the robinette hp calculator said i was making 350 RWHP and 410 @ the flywheel.

Do these #'s seem a little disappointing? I know folks will argue that the six pack setup isn't ideal but I would've hoped for more. I'm sure there's a little left in timing and carbs.

Speaking of carbs, would it do me any good to invest in the promax metering plates for the outboard carbs?

I dont think thats bad at all for a set up that sounds streetable.

Yeah, the 395 HP was throwing me off. But now that I realize it's at the wheel that's not bad. I think 475 @ the crank is a bit high though. I was hoping for around 450. Maybe that's about what it is.

I haven't had a chance to run the 1/4 yet to see if it can actually run a 12.0. Hopefully w/ a little tuning it'll hit the 11's.

I would have to say you will run mid 12's to a lower 12's. Thats a good set-up you have.

Thats pretty good. In 1970 Mr. Four Speed, Ronnie Sox managed to get a 13.00 flat in a six pack stock B body car, I dont remember which one. Youre running a full second faster which is the equivelant of 100 hp gain. 12.00 flat is nothing to sneeze at. If this was your first time then you should be able to improve anywhere from .2 to .5 seconds by either dynoing you car or test and tune at the track. My friend was able to tune his 401 AMC Javelin up by thirty horsepower by going to a reputable dyno shop. It cost him a couple hundred but where are you going to buy 30 horsepower in an engine that is already highly built for 200 bucks. Congrats!!

12.0s are not bad at all i think thats what i would count on that to run!

I wouldn't be to upset with those numbers especially at that weight. What's your initial timing, total timing (no vacuum to dizzy) and what's the all in RPM. Also what RPM were you shifting at.

Initial timing is 16 or 17 (been awhile since I set it). All in timing w/o vac is 35 to 36. I'll have to check the all in rpm. It's been awhile since I ran the car and will probably be another couple of months before I run it again.

What kind of stall are you running,what kind of cam, what are you redlining at and what are you hitting he traps at (Rpm) A 410 is fair for a1/4 mile but you may want a 430 or a 456 for an 1/8 mile. That makes a rough ride on the street though. Next would be a cam posiblly around the 509 hyd from DC. It all depends on how you are hitting the traps.

Sounds like it runs pretty good. Your car runs about what i would expect considering the mods. Your build sounds like it is built pretty much like a stock six pack motor with a hotter cam and pocket ported heads. A factory 6 pack was rated at 385-390 hp depending on year. Now consider for a moment that when the factory dynoed an engine, it was with open exhaust, no air cleaner, no fan, no alternator and with the numbers "corrected" for temperture and altitude. Everything was optimized. Now put that same engine in a car with all accessories hooked up , running through an exhaust system and breathing hot underhood air, and i could imagine it might lose 40-50 hp. In short, if you are making close to 400 at the crank you are doing alright.

You could also up your stall 3500-4000. It would be streetable still and that would knock your 60fts down. Give Rick Allison at A&A Transmission a call to get more info on this issue. He helped me alot.

X2 on the gears. The 4.10 are a decent 1/4 mile/street gear. You could always run an 26" slick at the track to make the 4.10's act more like 4.30/56. I did the same thing.

For the 1/8th mile I would say that the launch/60 ft are the most important things to consider.

Hey dont be confussed,nor depressed. What did you hit the traps at (rpm). Work your gears and weight to adjust Et's In an old Hotrodding mag they took a caddy (bone stock) They wanted to get it into the 10's I believe. Thry just kept cutting metal off the car until it ran I believe the 10's. Now I realize that you cannot do that but if you like your motor setup, think gears or weight to gain time. Good Luck

It's pretty easy to get 500 HP out of a hydraulic cammed 440. The most gain for you and still keep it streetable would be to port the heads, bigger valves and a touch more cam.

Does it make you happy when you drive it?

-
Back