Disc brake hubs

-

Grasshopper

Reaction score
Just wondering if the hubs from a 10inch drum are the same for the Kelsey Hayes disc
brake rotors?

I would think that a minor amount of machine work would MAKE them "the same" or at least workable

They are not
But
there is a thread on here somewhere that a fellow made spacers and was able to get the proper bearings on there. I cannot recall what he did to mount the calipers. This may have been to mount the early Mustang KH rotors, my memory is a little soft on this
Wait you said hubs not knuckles,crap.
Then, IDK

If he is using Mopar drum hubs on the original spindles with "some other" rotors, no reason to change the bearings. Only thing I can think of is the center hole may be too large/ too small, and may need a spacer between rotor and hub. If it is offset "the wrong way" there may not be a solution "with that rotor"

Just wondering if the hubs from a 10inch drum are the same for the Kelsey Hayes disc
brake rotors?

No, they aren't.

Good luck finding disc hubs, if your looking for them.
Pretty much unobtanium, dinosaur eggs, hens teeth, in this day and age.

They are different. I was lucky enough to grab this setup off Ebay recently.

65cudadiscbrake.jpg

The spindles and hubs are different. I suspect the bearings are different too, but rockauto would tell you. I never heard of anyone doing it, but perhaps you could find bearings which will fit both the disk spindle and drum hub. Tapered roller bearings are actually sold as 2 different parts - cone and race. Some are packaged as a kit and labelled "SET1", "SET2", etc (Timken PN's). If you can find a cone PN w/ proper ID for the spindle and a matching race PN w/ proper OD for the hub, it "should work". Not that hard since bearings come in standard metric sizes (thanks to Germans). Then you would need to figure how to attach the rotor to the hub. The K-H rotor sits behind the disk hub's flange. But, you could install it on the outside of a drum hub (as all modern rotors do).

I test-fitted this for a crazy idea, using a 10" drum hub. My K-H rotors would need a little machining on the inside to get a flat surface to match the hub's OD. The center hole of the rotor was also larger. and the bolts are bigger OD. The center hole issue could be fixed with a nylon "hub spacer" (ebay) if you can find the right size. All above could be fixed w/ a custom adapter (someday if I get my CNC going). Then would the rotor sit at an axial location to match the K-H caliper? In my case, I wasn't concerned since idea was to mount a Wilwood caliper on a custom bracket off the 10" drum spindle, similar to Wilwood and Scarebird kits.

-
Back