Disturbed Duster

-
Is there any place that that car is not rusted?

**** George. That sure looks like a lot of work. More power to ya.

Is there any place that that car is not rusted?

There are some plastic parts that don't have any rust lol The rails Being so rusted I didn't expect, but the more I poked and prodded the worse it looked so I cut the whole damn thing off.

Thanks for the compliments guys, it does help keep me motivated.

As far as the rails, I cleaned them up a bit and over the axle after some tapping poking and prodding around that all seems solid. I'm waiting to hear back from a local fab shop about bending me up some 12 gauge to make up the rails and rear sill. A 3" inboard kit gets me around the spring perches/boxes in the rear. Just don't know who's kit or make them just yet. Just winging it as I go.

A little progress, fab shop couldn't bend them up in one piece so I started with 4 pieces into 2 rails.

Attachments

• 20150520_152106.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 355
  • 20150520_174203~2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 335
Factory had a reinforcement in it so.......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 333
Another, other rail following suit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 306
Nice job. Rust seems to be synonymous with Mopar. :banghead: MT

what thickness of metal did you use for the K-frame skid plate?

seems like 1/8" ??

It's actually .134 10 gauge I believe.

I had to look that up ....close.

I have a sheet of 1/8 so I was hoping it could be used for stuff like that. I was thinking of using it to make gussets on the K-frame and LCAs, but might need a bit thicker.

Attachments

• 019e-2013.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 313
I think a lot use 1/8. I used this because it was what the local industrial fab shop had laying in their drop off pile. Just a few bux for materials.

Excellent work so far! I'll keep checking in on the progress! Don't lose motivation. Seeing your progress will give ME motivation to get started on my project! :)

More I looked the more I didn't like this cobbled up mess

Attachments

• 20151111_142552.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 256
So.... cut it out

Attachments

• 20151111_145800.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 251
  • 20151111_152701.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 20151111_161055.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 258
Found this today, riveted in where the inner wheelhouse should have been. Lol

Attachments

• 20151114_222825.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 211
So, the rear seat belt was anchored with rivets. Nice.
Mine was never 'fixed' there. Just rust. After cutting out an area similar to your piece, I overlapped a patch and welded in an out to be sure it was strong enough.

So, the rear seat belt was anchored with rivets. Nice.
Mine was never 'fixed' there. Just rust. After cutting out an area similar to your piece, I overlapped a patch and welded in an out to be sure it was strong enough.

Yup anchored with rivets. I'm thinkin if I have to add metal I might as well mini tub it! :burnout:

The PO was a wiring expert as well

Works at a local airport on aircraft:violent1:

Wow, I hope Y'all realize not all of us aircraft mechanics are Hacks.

I am picky to the point of being overly fussy with everything I repair or rebuild.

Some people in this industry are gifted mechanics / fabricators, and have awesome 2 or 4 wheeled projects in their shops. Yet others in my industry are just glorified parts changers, whom even after going to school have to be retaught how to use even a torque wrench.

Rrmember
Those who can,
DO
Those who cant,
JUST CHANGE PARTS

Matt

I had to look that up ....close.

I have a sheet of 1/8 so I was hoping it could be used for stuff like that. I was thinking of using it to make gussets on the K-frame and LCAs, but might need a bit thicker.

Hi Ranigirl,

I made my K frame skidplate, gussets, and front and rear torqueboxes out of 1/8" plate. No problem. The us car tool torqueboxes and other pieces are 1/8" thick parts.

GeorgeH

Your fabrication on the duster, and your skidplate looks great. I did this to mine, however you will need to notch the ends of your skidplate to be able to fit your front swaybar through the center of the K member. I test fitted the sway bar in my K frame after making a similar plate on mine. Had to notch the skidplate to fit.

Matt

-
Back