Ditch the Thermostat?

-
You don't even need a fan or shroud at highway speed and you are getting hot at that speed. Have you hooked up a real mechanical gauge so you can tell what the actual temp is?

It may not be running hot at all. Are only using a 40+ year old gauge as your reference?

I have not. When I got the car it had a spare instrument console. When I changed the gauges it read the exact same reading. The reading stays firm at the almost furthest right mark but when I've tested the gauge by grounding it out it goes further to the right. While driving it stays within one or two "hash marks" of the constant reading.

Wait, a thought, would Teflon tape restrict the grounding of a sensor and give false readings?

Sorry should have been a little clearer-It's been running consistently hot at idle, or on the highway. New thermostats, pump and timing and temp gauge have not changed a thing. The top radiator hose feels pressurized and hard to squeeze even after warmed up . I have an Edelbrock intake manifold and have tried three thermostats. I'm begining to think they just aren't opening.

sounds like you are too lean on the carb mixture.......

I have not. When I got the car it had a spare instrument console. When I changed the gauges it read the exact same reading. The reading stays firm at the almost furthest right mark but when I've tested the gauge by grounding it out it goes further to the right. While driving it stays within one or two "hash marks" of the constant reading.

Wait, a thought, would Teflon tape restrict the grounding of a sensor and give false readings?

YES and I have a New sending unit that reads totally wrong. Another thing to consider since we are both in California is the gas you are using, when my friend and I used an octane booster, the cars actually ran hotter....food for thought

I have bypassed the heater core only because it gets hot in the interior of the car so with it bypassed the temps inside are cooler. A lean carb will make a engine run hotter also. I have found that a shroud, proper coolant mixture, aluminum radiator, mechanical fan, was the only way I could keep the temps down on a .030 over 360.

YES and I have a New sending unit that reads totally wrong. Another thing to consider since we are both in California is the gas you are using, when my friend and I used an octane booster, the cars actually ran hotter....food for thought

You might be on to something there. Went to Texas last year with my truck and the farther south I went, the worse the gas was. Overheating and poor gas mileage till I got back up north. Had to run premium till North Dakota just to keep it running.

i havent seen this mentioned so ill toss it out there. Ive heard of radiator caps going and not holding as much pressure in the system as they are supposed to causing an overheating issue.

also from what i understand you can use one of those infrared temp guns to see if the radiator is clogged. i belive if you hit a spot thats unusualy cold youve got a clog there.

also another thing, i remember reading an article in hot rod magazine a while back that had a cheap way to flush the radiator. They took a 50/50 water/vinegar mix and put it in the car and ran it for 5-10 minutes with the radiator cap off. ive never tried it honestly though. id find the article and read it before trying this method too.

good luck.

How's the rest of the cooling system ?

Is there a -correct- fan shroud ?
Is the fan a direct-drive or is it clutched ?

I've always run clutched fans ( typically , thermal-drive ) with as many blades as possible , regardless of a/c or not .

Thicker-width radiators will make a car run hotter , too ; is yours stock ?

I'm a life-long Cali resident ; there are A LOT of wive's tales about cooling systems out here , and the 'dump-the-thermostat' one is one of the oldest .

On my '72 Coronet 318 ( daily driver ) , I use the following :

- 7 Blade fan
- Factory h.d. fan clutch
- 195 degree t-stat
- 16 lb cap
- 50/50 coolant / distilled water

A few points:

If the engine gets hot at highway speed, your radiator is inefficient. Plain and simple. At 30 MPH you have more air coming through the radiator than the fan will ever move, shroud or no shroud. If turning the heater on brings the temp down, this confirms an inefficient radiator.

You are running a V-8 radiator right?

The thermostat only controls the minimum operating temp of the engine, not maximum (but with an efficient radiator, the spread should be slight). Here's a quick way to verify thermostat operation and gauge function: Start cold engine and let idle. As engine comes up to temp, keep feeling the top hose. At some point it will get a lot warmer real quick. That's when your thermostat opened. Look at your gauge and note reading. If you have a 180 thermostat, that's 180 on your gauge (should be mid scale). If the gauge continues to rise at idle, the radiator isn't doing it's job.

Teflon tape on the sender would cause a low reading if anything. But the dash gauge may be inaccurate. Is your gas gauge optimistic or pessimistic? If the gas gauge tends to read high, the temp gauge may read high as well. This would be a function of the voltage regulator on the back of your instrument clusters. These were known to be inconsistent.

Radiator caps control the point where the coolant boils. If you are having boil over problems, replace the cap. If it heats up without boiling over, your cap is probably fine. Replace it anyhow, now your have a spare.

I think you answered your own question already. You said you got rusty crud out of your radiator once. I bet you need to flush more. Get some radiator flush stuff from the parts store and give it a shot. Or take the radiator into a radiator shop and have it cleaned properly. Sadly, in the modern age of aluminum radiators (which cant be repaired) radiator shops have become a vanishing asset.

When was the water pump last replaced?

-
Back