Do you rotate your slicks?

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
I saw a debate in a bracket racers forum about rotating their slicks. I've been told that they wear more evenly and I rotate my tubeless slicks about every 15 to 20 passes.
Some are saying that rotating slicks damages the sidewalls. What do you think?

I would say no. It will be interesting to hear the responses. Some slicks are directional.

I never rotate any tires left to right.

I've found that I get fewer "busted belts" that way.

I always rotated my Hoosier 9" Lightweight radial slicks after every weekend. Pretty much eliminated uneven wear, longer life till the wear holes started disappearing and gave me a chance to check rear drum brake adjustment among other things. I don't know if tire type. air pressure or horsepower/torque will matter but it seems like "directional" tires and high HP vehicles that hit the tires very hard would matter. SS springs on my car, no Cal-Tracs.

I tried rotating my slicks every few weeks about 10 years ago. I did this for a few months than quit doing it. Really didn't notice any difference other than the work to swap them around.

The AMX I drive I swap the Hoosier radial slicks left to right and right to left about every 20 to 25 runs. The sidewalls usually go before the wear holes are worn out, and if I don’t swap, I had them go bad in 45 runs

I never have and now never will because my knees couldn’t handle the extra work. If I got balling on my slicks I may have worried about it.

I rotate mine about every 30 passes. Can't say it matters as I've always done it so no reference the other way.

-
Back