Do you think ?

-
This should be a Darwin Award thread. If you're stupid, then don't wear your seatbelts so you will be removed from the gene pool.

Here's the problem with that. Those Darwin Award winners who don't wear their belts can very easily affect other law abiding smart people on the highway who do wear theirs.

Seat belts don't just hold you in the car. They also help you control it. When you are not wearing seat belts to restrain you, the steering wheel is your only restraint. Yup. You're holding onto the only thing holdin you in the car in case of a crash, or in case you need to make a quick evasive maneuver.

You don't have enough strength in your hands to hold onto that wheel without seat belts to keep you from being flung out the windshield, or even from being knocked out of the driver's seat.

Once you're out from behind the wheel, all bets are off. That car can kill anybody on the road from that point. People need to do all they can do to keep themselves behind the wheel and in control. Anything less is an injustice to all of those with whom they share the road.

I believe in less gubmint, but laws and the fear of punishment for breaking them are the only ways to attempt to make people do the right thing. You may think "It's my car and I should decide to wear seat belts or not". Since seat belts help you control your car, wearing them makes not only you safer, but those on the road around you. So to instantly think about yourself and your car is pretty damned selfish lookin at the big picture.

Oh and the above isn't pointed at anyone specifically. It's a general statement regarding anyone not wearing belts. If it pisses you off, good. I gave you somethin to think about.

What do the people around you and your dad have against 67 Barracudas?

I believe that part of it is the small amount of "red taillights" The taillights on those barracudas are not very large and don't catch people's attention. Especially the 68's with just a small one in middle of the U-shaped back up lights. I drove a 68 Barracuda everyday for over 7 years and was rear ended at least 3-4 times! The car held up like a champ! After 3-4 hits, only slightly bent rear bumper and minor dents on the rear valence panel. One old guy that rear ended me with a newer Olds, V-shaped his hood! My son got a kick out of that. We barely get a small dent on the valence, and this guy accordians his hood!

I have been rear ended like 6-7 times in a 67-68 Barracudas. I think that they need larger red taillights in back because of people not paying attention to driving these days. Especially when they get a hold of a cell phone. I've seen POLICE driving and talking on cell phones - WTF?

My dad's accident was someone cut him off when he was turning left. He chose to go to the ditch to avoid hitting the other car. Totalled out a 6 month old 67 Barracuda fastback Formula S 383 4-speed car with 6,500 miles!!! Some lucky SOB could have found a nice drivetrain in the junkyard if they were paying attention.

Here's the problem with that. Those Darwin Award winners who don't wear their belts can very easily affect other law abiding smart people on the highway who do wear theirs.

Seat belts don't just hold you in the car. They also help you control it. When you are not wearing seat belts to restrain you, the steering wheel is your only restraint. Yup. You're holding onto the only thing holdin you in the car in case of a crash, or in case you need to make a quick evasive maneuver.

You don't have enough strength in your hands to hold onto that wheel without seat belts to keep you from being flung out the windshield, or even from being knocked out of the driver's seat.

Once you're out from behind the wheel, all bets are off. That car can kill anybody on the road from that point. People need to do all they can do to keep themselves behind the wheel and in control. Anything less is an injustice to all of those with whom they share the road.

I believe in less gubmint, but laws and the fear of punishment for breaking them are the only ways to attempt to make people do the right thing. You may think "It's my car and I should decide to wear seat belts or not". Since seat belts help you control your car, wearing them makes not only you safer, but those on the road around you. So to instantly think about yourself and your car is pretty damned selfish lookin at the big picture.

Oh and the above isn't pointed at anyone specifically. It's a general statement regarding anyone not wearing belts. If it pisses you off, good. I gave you somethin to think about.
Now thats the best so far .

RRR said it best.I will not move in my car until everyone is buckled up.In fact I plan to retrofit my 64 Dart with a modern lap/shoulder harness setup.

only thing about the airbags is they should be harder to set off. I don't think I would of been injured (I was wearing my seatbelt) when that darn deer jumped in front of us. My wife didn't even know what we had hit. Didn't feel it in the Crown Vic. Both went off when his rack hit the sensor and those things put out some nasty smoke...

I agree its a good thing to ware you seat belt but i dont agree that it should be law
I agree with this too. I'd probably still wear mine anyways (maybe not always for short trips around town, but then again that seems to be the ones you hear about someone getting hurt in).

I don't have a problem with it. I always wear it and won't drive anywhere until all my passengers do also. As for air bags!!!!!!!! I was riding passenger and some guy slammed on his breaks, we rear ended him. My head hit the windshield (little crap car no room) then the air bag went off threw me back and made my face look like I was dragged across a block of carpet. God has my back though as even the EMTs where surprised I just got out and walked away with no injury but the rashes. Everyone else was bruised and hurt pretty bad and car was totaled. All had belts on thank God. My head shattered the windshield lol. No belt would have landed me in the other guys back seat.

I look at it this way... If you aren't smart enough to obey the seat belt law and you get a ticket then don't cry about it because you must be able to afford it. I think most places in Oklahoma it would be a $20.00 ticket and that needs to be increased to about $200.00.

I look at it this way... If you aren't smart enough to obey the seat belt law and you get a ticket then don't cry about it because you must be able to afford it. I think most places in Oklahoma it would be a $20.00 ticket and that needs to be increased to about $200.00.
I dont agree with you at all . The last one ive got is where i went to lean out the window to push a butten (sonic ) and unclicked it but didnt take it off all the way . then got the food and forgot i unclicked it and it retracked as i pulled out on the road and Instead of fumbling around trying to get it clicked . I wated to find a spot to pull off and reclick it . (maybe a block ) But there was a cop behind me when it retracted back . So some times it aint got nothing to do with smarts .

I dont agree with you at all . The last one ive got is where i went to lean out the window to push a butten (sonic ) and unclicked it but didnt take it off all the way . then got the food and forgot i unclicked it and it retracked as i pulled out on the road and Instead of fumbling around trying to get it clicked . I wated to find a spot to pull off and reclick it . (maybe a block ) But there was a cop behind me when it retracted back . So some times it aint got nothing to do with smarts .

Yes, it does. You weren't paying attention. Be glad he didn't give you a ticket for inattentive driving too.

Wrong. Smarts wouldda been to pull your big old *** into a parkin place and get all your food situated and your seat belt back on before takin to the road.

Now what were you sayin about it not havin nuthin to do with smarts?

Wrong. Smarts wouldda been to pull your big old *** into a parkin place and get all your food situated and your seat belt back on before takin to the road.

Lol...

inattentive driving would have been trying to reclick it when drivng (just like cell phones) .

Inattentive driving is not paying attention.

How many times have you gotten pulled over for no seat belts? How many tickets from that?

I paied the dang thing lol I did it . But i still think it should not be law. Just like when i got my 1st and only speeding tickit (years ago) Cop came up and asked me do you know what i pulled you over for ....... Yup i was speeding lmao . I was flying i told him . He chuckled and said i would not say flyin . but i still got the tickit lol I wil own up when ive done some thing , Yup i didnt reclick it so i took the tickit .

There are many instances where the restrained driver would have been fine after a collision if it weren't for the unrestrained rear seat passenger that came forward and injured or killed them both.

Ok guys, stop picking on Asa. He's wrong, he knows it, lets move on....

I've never gotten a seat belt ticket. I've gotten lots for other things. lol

-
Back