Do you worry about your car when you take it out?

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The little lady wanted me to take her and the kid to the beach in the 'Cuda, but I'm concerned about leaving it in a parking lot.

One day I'll install an alarm, but I also worry about the "haters" who will key a cool car just to be a jerk........etc....

So, that said, how are you guys about going to dinner, the store, etc in you pride and joy?

Jeff

I don't worry about mine granted it isn't the prettiest car and in primer. I just lock it up and not worry about it. These cars were meant to be driven anyhow.

i seldom ever leave mine unattended,not worth it.

I was exactly that way with my Corvette. .....
Kinda limits what you can do with it though. ....
Man, I wanna drive it all the time - everywhere but......

**** happens and you fix it half the fun is working on these cars anyhow i say drive that puppy

I'd be less worried about leaving it in a parking lot and more concerned with tracking all that beach sand into the car! (I really hate sand)

I drive my car all over town, but I do worry about it sometimes. Especially places around campus. I live close to OSU, so there's college kids around the streets all the time and they've already nicked it once in a parking lot while I was on lunch. But I bought the car to have fun, not stare at it like a museum piece, so I try not to worry too much.

Drove mine to Myrtle Beach. Deep in a parking lot beside, between, behind a motel was not an option. I waited about 3 hours for the space I wanted to become available. Parked it with left side 3 feet off the sidewalk by Ocean Blvd. Not only did anyone with interest enjoy laying eyes all over it, the local police were eyes on too.
Honestly... being tailgated on my local secondary roads worries me a whole lot more than leaving it in any parking lot.

I worry more about my kids, but then again the car never leaves the garage. I hope to remedy that soon.

But I hear what you are saying. Some dick always comes out of the wood work.

The little lady wanted me to take her and the kid to the beach in the 'Cuda, but I'm concerned about leaving it in a parking lot.

One day I'll install an alarm, but I also worry about the "haters" who will key a cool car just to be a jerk........etc....

So, that said, how are you guys about going to dinner, the store, etc in you pride and joy?

Jeff

I drive mine everywhere and seldom worry....if you can't enjoy your car maybe you need to sell it?

I just take mine to cruise ins. Never to stores or places where I can't keep an eye on it. But the worst are that people tail gating and don't respect the classics.

There are lots of simple things you can do.

Have a tach? Hide a small switch, and ground the tach wire

Electric pump? Hid a small switch in the pump relay.

On the down side, I've yet to figure a nice clean way to lock the hoods of these cars

Do you guy have anti-theft devices. ...alarms?

Yep. That little blinking red LED is mounted in the ignition switch bezel so anyone can see "No the key aint in it and yes the alarm is on".

My car had nice paint, I drove it everywhere parked it in the college parking lot and stuff. I just always tried to park away from people when possible. Wasn't always possible though. Anyway 7 years of driving and I only got one minor scratch from someone other than myself. I put a few scratches here and there but at least I did them.

The one scratch I got some stupid kid at school must have put their bag on my deck lid and put very minor scratches in it.

The funny thing is after about 5 years the clear coat started to peel off. So much for trying to keep it nice huh?

But the moral of the story is just drive the damn thing unless its a full on rare high dollar show car.

On the down side, I've yet to figure a nice clean way to lock the hoods of these cars

Back in the day we would replace the hood latch with a trunk latch. In order to unlatch the hood you had to insert a screwdriver in the slot and turn. As simple as this sounded, no one ever got under my hood.

Do you guy have anti-theft devices. ...alarms?

The fact it stands out in the crowd and is a very personal automobile is an alarm in and of itself. It's not an '13 Altima.... Plus the exhaust note.

If your worried about someone stealing it without a hook 'n book, just reverse the coil wire with one of the plug wires.

If there was a hook 'n book, your screwed anyway.

Alarms just keep honest people honest. Lock it up, don't leave goodies in plain view.

All folks want are Camaros, Chargers and Mustangs anyway.. No lowly A body.

I run all kinds of errands in the Fury and rarely even put the top up when I walk in the store. Would I do that with my 71 Cuda ragtop if I still had it - some, but not as much. Will I do it with my 68 ragtop when I get it done - yes. I had a mall cop tell me to put my top up and lock my doors once so nobody could steal my radio. I told him "sure thing buddy - and I'll come to you for $1000 for the top they slice to get past the locked doors". He then said he could right me up for a violation. I laughed at him and walked away.

Never take my net' where I cant keep an eye on it and always park my Challenger way away from everybody.Dont want to turn a door ding in to insurance but dont want to look at one either. Lot of difference in where you live.Big city lots of people around your car vs. small town where theres not much action. I,m on outskirts of Houston.

Just disable it someway. Like the man said. If it's a tow steal you are done , but people aren't going to trouble shoot a car. Take the rotor.
Park in a safe place and don't worry about dings.

Just disable it someway. Like the man said. If it's a tow steal you are done , but people aren't going to trouble shoot a car. Take the rotor.
Park in a safe place and don't worry about dings.
Easier said than done. Maybe if I hadnt done everything on my car myself and had just bought it finished I could have that attitude. But I put too much sweat and knuckle meat into building mine. And I,m getting older to where i,m not as ambitious anymore.

Mine is a daily driver. I lock it up and leave things out of plain sight. If they want it bad enough they will get it regardless of what you do. Taking coil or disabling ignition would be a great deterrent.

-
Back