Does a 1988 318 have a roller cam

-

fitchett

Reaction score
Auto wreaker wants $450 for this 88 318 dont know if it has a roller cam and thought price was steap for a stock engine.

1988 should, and might also have the 302 heads. Is it truck or car? I read truck has higher C/R, although I'm not sure how much. Around here, that price would be high, unless it was a good recent rebuild. In fact, one of those (rebuilt, from a Ramcharger) came up in my area for $200 a few weeks ago. I didn't act fast enough, and it was gone before I could get it.

I had an '88 cop car 318. It was not a roller cam.
C

my 85 had the 302 heads. push rod holes were larger, lifter valley looked just like my 1990 roller 360. Looks like someone put a flat tappet cam in it though.

1988 up 318's in trucks had roller cams, 89 up on the 360's (started with the TBI system) not certain on the car models

My info indicates that they went to roller in 85 on 2V engines, 4V was still flat tappet until 87 (allpar) or '89 (HRM). I'd imagine clhyer's 88 cop car would be a 4V, and therefore flat tappet. That agrees with Hot Rod, but not Allpar (which I would generally consider a better source).

i thought there was some visual way to tell ie; stamp , cid emissions decal, or something. sorry, im not much help here. i thought 1990 was a transition year for the passenger cars. tells you what i know about these lol

It may not have the roller setup, but it IS a roller block if it's an 88.

-
Back