Does the dash have to be in to install windshield

-

Spadman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The shop that did my body work seem to me to keep finding more to do before I bring the car home. I asked them to install the glass to keep it dry on the trip home. They say they have to install the dash first before the windshield. I need to do some work on the dash plus their work is extremely expensive. Are they being straight with me?

Yes, they are. The windshield gasket covers up the bolt holes and you can't get the dash in with the windshield in. If it's a freshly painted hull, it won't hurt it to get wet. You can dry it out when you get it home. If you really need the windshield in, they could put it in and you can get a glass guy to take it back out when you get it home so you can put the dash in.

No they don't. Many of us have PURPOSELY reversed the clips for the screws so that the dash can be REMOVED OR INSTALLED with the glass in place.

You probably need slightly shorter screws as they will impact the rubber.

I RECOMMEND THIS METHOD

The reason the dash was installed first, at the factory, was that it was simply easier. They could reach through the opening someone could get it positioned, and buzz the screws in

Yes, you can install the windshield now, but it won’t gain you a thing. Many have done that mistake.

The shop that did my body work seem to me to keep finding more to do before I bring the car home. I asked them to install the glass to keep it dry on the trip home. They say they have to install the dash first before the windshield. I need to do some work on the dash plus their work is extremely expensive. Are they being straight with me?
Yes, and no. Factory correct....they're telling you right, but, as 67dart273 stated, there are ways around it.

Apparently you can install the bolts bottom side up and it helps when pulling the dash with windshield in in the future...did someone say this already...?

Thanks to all of you who responded to me. Your experience is invaluable to me.

No they don't. Many of us have PURPOSELY reversed the clips for the screws so that the dash can be REMOVED OR INSTALLED with the glass in place.

You probably need slightly shorter screws as they will impact the rubber.

I RECOMMEND THIS METHOD

The reason the dash was installed first, at the factory, was that it was simply easier. They could reach through the opening someone could get it positioned, and buzz the screws in
Yep, pay attention and you learn something new every day.

My question for the reverse bolt in guys is why? Do it the correct way and you should never have to take the dash out again...

Yes and a big no, I like installing the heater box along with the other stuff under the dash first not sure how easy it would be if screwed from bottom, besides the windshield can be in and out in a half hour tops, just don’t put the round bead in yet.

When I had dash and windshield out on our 67 I was contemplating reversing the screws, but it looked like a pain to me. Ours is a buckets console ac car, so LOTS in the way under the dash lol.

My question for the reverse bolt in guys is why? Do it the correct way and you should never have to take the dash out again...
Maybe you want to refinish it. Maybe you scored a nice Ralleye setup or want to customize it. Unlike the guy who claims you can have a glass in and out in 1/2 hour, changing a windshield, for me, is a gigantic PITA

Besides, reversing the screws is as "right" as anything else. The only reason the factory did it that way is because at the time it was easier, before the glass was installed.

I’ll shoot for a dry day to bring it home and if it by chance gets a bit wet, like JD Mopar said, it will dry. It won’t be my first window to install, and my time is cheap. It was my limited welding and painting skills that caused me to take it to someone else. I can wrench. I will have some nice sheet metal to carpet, wire, install seats; and then try out any number of engines. If I live that long LOL. I’ve got a lot of plans for going on 72 years old next month.

:thumbsup:
I’ll shoot for a dry day to bring it home and if it by chance gets a bit wet, like JD Mopar said, it will dry. It won’t be my first window to install, and my time is cheap. It was my limited welding and painting skills that caused me to take it to someone else. I can wrench. I will have some nice sheet metal to carpet, wire, install seats; and then try out any number of engines. If I live that long LOL. I’ve got a lot of plans for going on 72 years old next month.

Maybe you want to refinish it. Maybe you scored a nice Ralleye setup or want to customize it. Unlike the guy who claims you can have a glass in and out in 1/2 hour, changing a windshield, for me, is a gigantic PITA

Besides, reversing the screws is as "right" as anything else. The only reason the factory did it that way is because at the time it was easier, before the glass was installed.
No it’s not a ‘claim’ and the factory did it that way because it was the ‘procedure’ on HOW to do it right. Put all the pieces in reverse then tell us how fast and easy it’s was,

Very simple. The first time I put a Barracuda dash in a Dart the windshield was in and I didn't want to remove it.

I reversed the dash mounting hardware when I had my 67 fish apart. I found the threaded neck of the 'U' nut the same height as the nuts head and the screw length didn't really need shortened although I did go ahead and trim one thread off of each at grinder. Still to this day I'm not sure why I did this. I guess only because I could. I'll never remove the dash again.

I reversed the dash mounting hardware when I had my 67 fish apart. I found the threaded neck of the 'U' nut the same height as the nuts head and the screw length didn't really need shortened although I did go ahead and trim one thread off of each at grinder. Still to this day I'm not sure why I did this. I guess only because I could. I'll never remove the dash again.
Yes, but you are a genius in the IVR dept. So your confidence outweighs mine dramatically. I bet that dash is gonna give me problems and with 10 mins of taking out the column and 20 (taking my time) to get to 5 bolts with a wobbly, I dont have to be under the dash trying to make up new ways to butcher the queens language.

This comment is ALL theory, the friggin car has not moved since I got it in boxes 7 years ago, so take it all with a grain. BUT........we will see..........

Happy friday!!

I do know that when one sets the dash on the side bolts it’s easy for ONE person to install the top bolts. I’m pretty sure you’ll need two people, one to hold dash while you’re up under a dash that’s a cramped-cluttered area putting the bolts in. Anytime you can copy how the assembly line did the job you’re on the east track.

I do know that when one sets the dash on the side bolts it’s easy for ONE person to install the top bolts. I’m pretty sure you’ll need two people, one to hold dash while you’re up under a dash that’s a cramped-cluttered area putting the bolts in. Anytime you can copy how the assembly line did the job you’re on the east track.
No. I installed the dash in my old Dart by myself with the reversed hardware as the windshield was in and I wasn't going to remove it. We may have used two people when that dash went into my son's Dart as he was older by that time.

-
Back