-

A56

MoPar Affliction
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not mine
252782769_4597508766992738_4851201917833572573_n.png

:rofl: Shrine, not sure, but certainly not worth $900.00
I almost spit my coffee out...$900? It aint worth **** unless someone buys it...

"I'd like a personal loan for $900 and I'm gonna use this as collateral..."
"Your joking, right?"
"No...."
"Well, then NO"

1970 Dodge Challenger
$900$
Ships for $5.75
Estimated arrival Jan 21 - Jan 27
FB Marketplace
Hey he came down from 1200.00:eek:

Well that would be enough documentation to re-body a '70 Challenger, so, it might be worth a lot more than $900 to somebody.

I know of a famous celebrity that paid over $7,000 for a ventag 1970 440 6 pack cuda I couldn't believe it but that's what they told me.

Isn’t it just for a 318 car? Kim

And? If you had a stolen ‘70-‘74 Challenger and couldn’t title it or sell it wouldn’t a “legal” 318 title be worth a lot more than $900?

I mean, there’s a chance that you could still legally-ish use this stuff. If there was some level of documentation of what happened to the original car anyway. For example, if you could prove the original chassis was totaled and wanted to jump through a bunch of hoops you could likely resurrect this car out of reproduction parts. It wouldn’t be worth the price of doing it because it’s not a “rare” model, but from a legal standpoint you could do it in a way that would get you a ‘70 Challenger that was titled as a ‘70 Challenger (vs a special construction, like if you just created one out of aftermarket metal and thin air and titled it like guys do with kit cars etc). That wouldn’t be worth it financially, but if there was some kind of sentimental value or you just wanted to retroactively save a ‘70 Challenger it might be possible.

But if you had a ‘70-74 Challenger chassis already and somehow couldn’t get a title for it, well, re-body city. I’m no expert, but even with the number of cars I’ve had inspected at the DMV here and seeing the general level of scrutiny applied as part of getting a title for cars of this era there’s enough there to get a title for that car if you had the right inspector. I wouldn’t do it, because you could always get the “wrong” inspector. But having had legal cars inspected it wouldn’t take much luck.

I know in certain states, that will get you put away. Classic chop shop tactic known as the tag job.

I know in certain states, that will get you put away. Classic chop shop tactic known as the tag job.

Exactly! Which is why it’s illegal to sell VIN tags.

But, you can have a totaled car rebuilt, even if that rebuild involves replacing everything other than the VIN and stamps. Like I said, there is a legal process for that with the DMV and inspections. Depending on the state you could end up with a salvage or repair title. But, it would still be legally titled as a ‘70 Challenger, instead of car that looks like a ‘70 Challenger that’s titled a 2022 special construction and subject to a whole different set of rules.

This is shady already because the stuff is for sale. But if the seller was actually the legal owner of the car selling his shrine for a car that he totaled in high school or something and there’s some documentation of that, you might be able to claw it back into a gray enough area to get a legal title.

The much more likely re-body scenario involves multiple felonies of course.

most if not all states.

they frame this stuff and sell it as display only item not to get flagged online, i'm sure most buyers want the stuff for a numbers swap...

People buy them to put old race cars back on the road when bought as a race car with no title. I just gave a Duster title and numbers away of a car for a back halfed race car. I save every title and tags from cars I strip. The paper stack is getting pretty thick. I will not sell or give Muscle car tags away due to some just trying to increase the value of a clone.

Muscle car papers and tags are only good for a complete restoration of the exact car on the build sheet and you must have the original car to rebody.

Fender tags have the VIN sequence number on them, so how would you make it match the vin?

There is a legal way to get a new fender tag though, correct? I am missing mine, but I have all the paperwork from Grand Spaudling Dodge. Window sticker, order form to Chrysler, delivery paperwork, etc

There is a legal way to get a new fender tag though, correct? I am missing mine, but I have all the paperwork from Grand Spaudling Dodge. Window sticker, order form to Chrysler, delivery paperwork, etc

Absolutely, but replacing fender tags isn't illegal as far as i know, just the VIN.

Does anyone know a source for a replacement fender tag now that we are on the topic?

No worries there, not even in the same ballpark as the above menagerie.

Selling a VIN or removing a VIN for that purpose IS illegal in many states, I'm not even sure about "federally."

Just because you can doesn't mean you should....... Acceptance of this type of practice is how things can go horribly wrong when someone is paying big money for a car. No thanks.....

JW

I'm sure if the complete vin were known it could possibly be found on the Hamtramck Historical site as a defunct vehicle.

Last edited:
Speaking of skirting around the grey area of the law, it has been good to keep the tags and dashboards out of eighties pickups, for sure. Fender tags are under the front cowl, sometimes behind the seat on the passenger side floor board under the floor covering. A lot of times we get estate trucks off farms that two or three trucks will make one good one, but none of them have any paperwork to get a title with. A dash and tag swap into a usable truck is the only practical way to make them live on the road again.

-
Back