Dome pistons for 318 stroker

-

ddart1981

Reaction score
Hi, I have a dodge dart 318 stroker (396 pol -3,970 bore X 4,00 stroke), intended for drag race. My car is a dodge dart 79, and his weight is 2450 lbs, race ready. The cylinder heads are edelbrock, intake super victor, Hugues solid 268/272 0,50. The pistons are keith black flat top, 3970 bore, and compression is only 11.8, low, because the fuel is alcohol (metanol). I need dome pistons, I am thinking about 13.5 compression or more, and I'll use w-2 heads. Do you know where can I buy these pistons? I called Ross pistons, but the price is about US$ 900,00 or more, and the time to make is 3 or 4 weeks... I'd like lightweight pistons, and my rods are scat I beam. Do you know if Keith Black make these pistons? Thank you.​

I think aside from customs you're out of luck. But, You can simply mill the heads down to a smaller chamber, or get the W2s that come at 58cc.

I think aside from customs you're out of luck. But, You can simply mill the heads down to a smaller chamber, or get the W2s that come at 58cc.

I apreciated your help... The W-2 has only 58 cc? It look likes larger, I was thinking that it had 72 cc, equal 360 heads...

360's had open chamber heads at 72cc. Not sure how you'd run a dome piston with closed chamber heads like w-2's without hitting the piston on the head, unless your pistons arn't sitting at zero deck. With kb flat tops that have a 5cc piston head volume, a .039 head gasket, zero deck, 58 cc heads, your bore and stroke, you're looking at a c/r of 12.3 range w/ iron heads. If you need higher compression than that you're looking at custom milled pistons.

I have posted two sets of pistons. 4.100 bore/4" stroke. In the engine mechanical portion of this web site. A quick info: Venolia, .200 dome, for stock rod length and pin dia. Gas ported and never hurt, just going a different direction. [stock deck height as well] $350.00 with old rings on the pistons, so you can see/measure the piston condition!

Piston set "B" is the same as above only flat top. same price.

Attachments

• Dart @ Milan. summer of 2010 up very high.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 615
W2s can carry the same casting number but have chambers from the high 50s to full open chambers. You will want to make sure any dome you buy will work with the W2 chambers. Also, if it was me, they'd be gas ported and 1.5mm/1.5mm/3mm oil ring stack. Once you clear 13:1 you'll also need to go to head studs and if it's more than 13.5:1 I'd also get the block O-ringed. In any case, I'd use Cometic head gaskets which means careful finishing of the block and head deck surfaces (ultra smooth... Needs to be done with a modern milling center).

W2s can carry the same casting number but have chambers from the high 50s to full open chambers. You will want to make sure any dome you buy will work with the W2 chambers. Also, if it was me, they'd be gas ported and 1.5mm/1.5mm/3mm oil ring stack. Once you clear 13:1 you'll also need to go to head studs and if it's more than 13.5:1 I'd also get the block O-ringed. In any case, I'd use Cometic head gaskets which means careful finishing of the block and head deck surfaces (ultra smooth... Needs to be done with a modern milling center).

The block is O-ringed. I'll go with the Cometic head, thanks for your help.

I have posted two sets of pistons. 4.100 bore/4" stroke. In the engine mechanical portion of this web site. A quick info: Venolia, .200 dome, for stock rod length and pin dia. Gas ported and never hurt, just going a different direction. [stock deck height as well] $350.00 with old rings on the pistons, so you can see/measure the piston condition!

Piston set "B" is the same as above only flat top. same price.

Good price about the pistons, but 4.100 bore doesn't fit in my 318 block, because the stock bore is 3,910, and with 0.60 pistons, the bore is 3,970... Thanks for your help.

360's had open chamber heads at 72cc. Not sure how you'd run a dome piston with closed chamber heads like w-2's without hitting the piston on the head, unless your pistons arn't sitting at zero deck. With kb flat tops that have a 5cc piston head volume, a .039 head gasket, zero deck, 58 cc heads, your bore and stroke, you're looking at a c/r of 12.3 range w/ iron heads. If you need higher compression than that you're looking at custom milled pistons.

12.3 is not good to me, because the fuel is methanol, alky... I'll buy the Ross custom milled pistons...they are expensive, but are great... thanks for your helpful.

You may also want to look into CP. They make a top of the line piston. A bit nicer than Ross and if you're going to spend...

You may also want to look into CP. They make a top of the line piston. A bit nicer than Ross and if you're going to spend...

Do you have the CP link? CP is competition products? Do you think that is more expensive that Ross?

Do you have the CP link? CP is competition products? Do you think that is more expensive that Ross?

Here's the link:
http://www.cp-carrillo.com/Tech/PistonTech/tabid/74/Default.aspx#wcp
You can download the catalog but I think you may just want to call and speak with them. Especially with alcohol I'd go with gas porting and for rings either CP's or C&A.

Wild - Nasa wouldnt make pistons. But if they needed it, CP would probably get the job. Weisco can supply a decent competition quality piston, on the level of a J&E, venolia, or Diamond.
Ross is a decent piston but I'd call them a very good street piston. I would not call them top competition quality because of finish quality. On par with Icon or SRP which are good pistons and head and shoulders better than the Speed Pro/TRW forged deals. I don't know which ones you've used personally, but I've used everything but Venolia, althought one of my core 440s has a set in it and they look nice...lol.

Here's the link:
http://www.cp-carrillo.com/Tech/PistonTech/tabid/74/Default.aspx#wcp
You can download the catalog but I think you may just want to call and speak with them. Especially with alcohol I'd go with gas porting and for rings either CP's or C&A.

Wild - Nasa wouldnt make pistons. But if they needed it, CP would probably get the job. Weisco can supply a decent competition quality piston, on the level of a J&E, venolia, or Diamond.
Ross is a decent piston but I'd call them a very good street piston. I would not call them top competition quality because of finish quality. On par with Icon or SRP which are good pistons and head and shoulders better than the Speed Pro/TRW forged deals. I don't know which ones you've used personally, but I've used everything but Venolia, althought one of my core 440s has a set in it and they look nice...lol.

I downloaded the cp catalog, and the pistons are really great, but the price is higher than Ross... thank you for the link... I'll try call Keith Black, because the quality is good, and price is affordable... Thanks for your help.
I didn't know what is gas porting, and I learned about it in CP pistons website...

Comparing a Ross to a Kieth Black is like comparing a 85 307 GM to a 69 340...........

I got 7 KB pistons for a 318, and a sleeve in cylinder 5.............., not enough compression for ya, just saying. And no, the ring didn't stick, it was just fine....... There was a casting flaw and the pin hole split..........

Nah, I disagree. Ross and Icon (KB's "better" forged line) are very similar quality when we're talking forged pistons. They are the firm "upper middle ground" IMO. The hypereutectics are not in the same class and not comparable in terms of ability as these forged units.

sorry. shoulda said D-dish pistons. that way you can still get decent quench. dome pistons are getting
a tad dated, don't you think?

All depends. He's talking about running ethanol and the only way to get the comression that fuel really likes is to make chmbers smaller, which eventually you get bitten by, or pop the dome up. They make power, within the limitations of the engine package.

-
Back