Door hinge questions??

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, Im a little stumped here. I have a few upper and lower door hinges. Im trying to figure out drivers side and passenger side. If you take a look at the 1st pic, it shows 4 upper hinges. All but one have either a "P" or an "R" stamped in them. One I cant make anything out on.
Question #1...if you take a look at them, the upper hinge on the left actually swings the other way. How can that work for the same side of the vehicle?? That one is stamped and I can make out a "P" or an "R". If you see in the 2nd pic there are 2 uppers side by side, one marked R and one marked P, but they swing or mount opposite?? Im stumped.....

Now for the lower hinges, 3rd pic shows all of the lower hinges. Only 1 I can tell has a marking on it. In the 4th pic you can see it stamped "R" which I would think means passenger side. So does that mean all these are passenger side hinges, or can they be flip flopped for passenger side to drivers side. Thanks for all the help.
4spsdragtop

Attachments

• DSCF6048 (Medium).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCF6063 (Medium).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCF6065 (Medium).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCF6071 (Medium).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 234
Its simple,
They are all the same just the direction of the hinge pin. Head of the pin goes up!

I figured the pin head would go up, so the hinges arent interchangeable from side to side??

Thanks
4spdragtop

On my Charger the driver side was pin heads up, passenger side was pin heads down

Sorry I started 2nd guessing my self. Had to go out and look.

The ones I have are all the same upper and lower. You just flip it over to work o the other side.

That one upper in you pic does not look like any upper I have ever see. You sure the one on the left is from a A body?

Some one could of rebuilt it then not put it back together right.

Sorry I started 2nd guessing my self. Had to go out and look.

The ones I have are all the same upper and lower. You just flip it over to work o the other side.

That one upper in you pic does not look like any upper I have ever see. You sure the one on the left is from a A body?

Some one could of rebuilt it then not put it back together right.

I was thinking maybe someone put it together wrong as well, all the bolt holes spacings are identical on all the hinges, and I have a 69 door here that the holes match up on. Thanks burnt, that settles that mopar conundrum...

Hay, I had a look at my PAX (Right) side and I could not find any letters or marks on them. I think I have some hinges off my 71 GTX so I'll take a look in the shed the next time I go there to hide from the wife....daily....LOL

Attachments

• DSC00007.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC00006.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC00005.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC00004.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 187
I can't open the door on the drivers side because of the wall. I did notice that the two bumpity wheels for the spring are on the bottom for the drivers side. No stamps or marks were seen. Hope this helps. Looks like all I need is the "S" spring. Does anyone have one to sell?
Cheers.

Attachments

• DSC00020.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00021.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC00022.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 172
Yes the detent wheels go on the bottom on the drivers side but the pin head is on the top, passenger side has the detent wheels on the top as well as the pin head. Top hinges are pinhead on top and the pin goes in from the opposite side per side. The markings mean nothing for direction.

Now why anyone would put used hinges on their car is beyond me, it's like fixing the problem with the same problem.....

And yes when I rebuild them I completely disassemble and fix everything including the detent and paint with epoxy so your door not only opens and closes properly but detents.....

-
Back