Doug's header / tti exhaust issue

-

sammie

Reaction score
Ok guys and girls! I just installed new Doug's headers on my 67 dart small block! Now I am installing the tti 2 1/2 exhaust with x pipe! The headers are wider then the tti exhaust pipes that are coming up to the header flang! Has anyone else run into this? If so, what's the secret?

Ok guys and girls! I just installed new Doug's headers on my 67 dart small block! Now I am installing the tti 2 1/2 exhaust with x pipe! The headers are wider then the tti exhaust pipes that are coming up to the header flang! Has anyone else run into this? If so, what's the secret?
I recently went from cheap headers on my 68 valiant to Doug's. I love the new headers with the coating but the collectors are further apart than the cheap headers rendering my old exhaust system unusable as is. I bought some header extensions and will try and put them together with the old exhaust system minus the front sections. Your X pipe may make that much more difficult than my true separate dual system.

I have Doug’s headers in my Duster and had no issues matching them up with a Summit 2.5” exhaust.

Why did you go with Doug’s headers and a TTI exhaust? Seems like it would have been better to keep things matched up.

I have Doug’s headers in my Duster and had no issues matching them up with a Summit 2.5” exhaust.

Why did you go with Doug’s headers and a TTI exhaust? Seems like it would have been better to keep things matched up.
Local guy on here was selling the tti exhaust new in the box and couldn't pass up the deal! Tti header are more then Doug's headers! I called tti and they say we make exhaust to fit their headers! So your on your own with fitment on any other header!

I called tti and they say we make exhaust to fit their headers! So your on your own with fitment on any other header!
yup.. thought that was common knowledge.. you'll have to get some bends and build adapters to make them fit.

Get 2 U bends & go see your local muffler shop, we did this installation on a 72 Duster about 3 months ago. We trailer the car & had everything TIG welded & 340 exhaust tips installed, cost $120.00 out the door.

Get 2 U bends & go see your local muffler shop, we did this installation on a 72 Duster about 3 months ago. We trailer the car & had everything TIG welded & 340 exhaust tips installed, cost $120.00 out the door.
You had Doug's headers too? Yea I'm not a fan of having anyone work on my car. But it sounds like I dont have a choice! What sucks is the car is still apart! No glass new everything .not really ready to drop it off somewhere

Local guy on here was selling the tti exhaust new in the box and couldn't pass up the deal! Tti header are more then Doug's headers! I called tti and they say we make exhaust to fit their headers! So your on your own with fitment on any other header!

TTI’s are more than Doug’s, that’s true. And personally I think the Doug’s are higher quality. But as you’re finding out, a great deal on parts that don’t fit isn’t really a great deal. If you have to buy more parts and pay someone to adapt it over that’s gonna hit your savings.

The summit 2.5” kit costs a bunch less than the TTI kit, and fits with Doug’s headers.

Looks like it is time to get out the sawzall and the welder.
I had to modify my custom built H pipe exhaust when I installed a set of TTI headers in my Barracuda.

Had the same issue with my Dart. Had to fab some new adapters, cut and fit and weld to get things to line up. To do over again, I would trailer the car to a muffler shop and save myself a lot of misery.

It seems I have been here once. Yes I also made the "adapters" for the collectors. 2.5 inch Tourque tech exhaust didnt line up to my cheap headmann hedders that flattened out on the -passenger side LOL! That was many years ago. I have since went with stock manifolds and accurate exhaust.:) I remember having a flange bolted up,and cutting the pipe at an angle untill it sort of pointed toward the humps in the trans crossmember area then welded it. I dont seem to recall it ever being perfect but i had those hedmanns on it.

It's very common to have to mess with the exhaust system when changing header brands.
H, and X pipes add to the issues.

I have found that anything other than stock exhaust just doesn't fit well. Of course that isn't ideal in competetive racing.If I was Bracket racing, id live with the exhaust and maybe even run open headers. I like the chrome tips in my dart Swinger, but not necessarily the 1 7/8 stock pipe diameter if that makes sense.

Looks like it is time to get out the sawzall and the welder.
I had to modify my custom built H pipe exhaust when I installed a set of TTI headers in my Barracuda.
I have found that anything other than stock exhaust just doesn't fit well. Of course that isn't ideal in competetive racing.If I was Bracket racing, id live with the exhaust and maybe even run open headers. I like the chrome tips in my dart Swinger, but not necessarily the 1 7/8 stock pipe diameter if that makes sense.

I hpoe the new headers I ordered are going to be the same as the ones I took off, kinda worried about the flange clocking for my custom 3 1/2'' h pipe set up too.

I like the chrome tips in my dart Swinger, but not necessarily the 1 7/8 stock pipe diameter if that makes sense.
I know exactly what you're saying. Any exhaust changes I make next year will require me to use the stock looking Dart tips. My exhaust is 2" and even 1 7/8" in places with the Accurate exhaust setup. I want to go with a full 2 1/2" system and TTI has what I'm looking for including the tips.

I know exactly what you're saying. Any exhaust changes I make next year will require me to use the stock looking Dart tips. My exhaust is 2" and even 1 7/8" in places with the Accurate exhaust setup. I want to go with a full 2 1/2" system and TTI has what I'm looking for including the tips.

I don treally give ---- !

-
Back