Drag Headers

-

swifter

Reaction score
SO I need new headers for the little ol 360 in our valiant,Doesn't look like I have many choices other than the TTi 1-7/8 chassis headers SO-Full track car-No street-whats your opinion on paying the extra $200 for the coated headers or do I just get the plain steel and paint the outside with a quality heat paint??????????? Does it really make a difference on a full out drag car??? Thanks guys I value ALL opinions--My engine builder says go with the coated but again its not his money--Thanks steve

If I were paying for new drag headers they would be coated.
Did you look at Hedman headers?

I really like the shorter fenderwells but I'm getting confused (very easy for me) as what's available,I thought all hedman were only fenderwalls--Steve

For just a track car I would say high temp paint would be fine since its only run in for the pass then shut off. The inside coating they do helps get the exhaust out faster bu keep in the heat inside the tube, might gain a small amount of hp but not much. My .02

I've got tti's on my duster 6 years now un-coated still look good,i polish the tubes about once a year..

Stroked-what do u mean by polish the tubes???? Did u high temp paint them when u first got them??? Thanks Steve

Stroked-what do u mean by polish the tubes???? Did u high temp paint them when u first got them??? Thanks Steve

No i've got the standard tti's which are nickle coated clean up nicely with Mothers..

What I mean by being confused is there is certain headers listed for W2 heads and I take it they are only for W2 heads ???,We have eddy rpm's on the motor,Looks like TTi's are even cheaper than the Hedman's that's wack unless again I'm getting confused-STeve

I have the Hedmans on my Cuda for 5-6 years now. they fit well and still look good. I painted them when I got them and touch them up once a year

All 3 of our cars run Hooker 5204 headers.......I would not use them on the street as they hang down below the tie rods..

I high temp paint mine then go over it with heat wrap, paint is pretty much for helping with rust but the wrap really helps keep the underhood temps down and exhaust velocity up.

I have coated Headman Hustler fenderwell on my Eddy headed 410 SB.Bought them from Summit 6 yrs ago...still look great.edit after getting my fenderwell headers,TTI came out with the 1 3/4 under chassis headers for Early-A body

Scott-Can u take your oil pan off with the hustlers???? thanks steve

Scott-Can u take your oil pan off with the hustlers???? thanks steve
Yes I can take my Milidon pan off easily.I did modify my Early-A K frame for clearance of the pan when re&re the engine.Spark plugs are also easy to access.

Sorry I didnt catch they were fenderwells !!!!!!! Dah can u get the oil pan off,What a idiot I am

Check around for local guys who coat them and check pricing.
Plus.......fully coated is deceptive at best.......they cannot get the coating much past 4 - 6 " inside a tube unless it is straight and then 8 - 10 " if you want it to stick.
I have a local guy I use who is as honest as the day is long.........and a fellow knife collector.
A little horse trading and I had the tubes and two sets of collectors done for less than 200.00.
I really like coated headers.......I'll never go back to paint.
Wrapping is a moisture trap in high humidity areas and they will prematurely rust.
Not might.........
Coat them and don't look back.

I bought my 1 7/8" TTIs with the fancy coating for my small block race Duster. If I ever do it again race car would be high temp paint, show or weekend car would be coated.

swifter

... chassis headers on now but now I have the tilt frontend I am considering going with fenderwell headers

I'd buy some doug's 453r raw off amazon, send directly to a 3rd party coating like q.c. coatings, nitroplate, or locally for inside/outside job. Best bang for the buck and better quality in the end, for little more. In the same boat myself... Good luck!

My engine builder is saying he wants 1-3/4 tubes not 1-5/8 so a searching I will go--Steve

You could run truck pull headers straight through the hood :D

My engine builder is saying he wants 1-3/4 tubes not 1-5/8 so a searching I will go--Steve

Well........if you want to expand your four letter word vocabulary , you could go with building them.
That's what I did and was inventing swear words.:D
But they turned out pretty O.K.
Much nicer than my first try.

Attachments

• IMG_3200.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_3201.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_3199.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 287
Ran the 1-7/8" Hookers on my car, my brother's car and my dad's car. All are street driven, never hit them. They are a nice slip fit design and install easily (relative to other A body headers)

as far as coated, I had mine coated once I'll NEVER waste that money again! it just doesn't hold up like you'll be hoping

-
Back