Drag Radials on a 67 barracuda notchback

-

MrBelvedere2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, here is my question. I have a 67 barracuda notchback, stock wheel tubs in the back. It currently has 15x7 cop rims with 245/60/R15 on them. I picked up another 2 cop rims to put some drag radials on as it really needs them the next time I go to the track...wheels spun like crazy with the radial t/a's and thats with a sure-grip! Has anyone had experience doing this and what is the biggest size tire you think I can fit on it using the stock wheel wells in the rear? the 245's fill it up pretty good but there is some room for more.... Any suggestions? and any preference as to what brand drag radial I should get? I've never bought any before but I hear good things about the M/T ET Streets. And also The Nitto drag radials. Thanks for any info.

MT makes a 255/60x15 drag radial that should work for you.

I got 245/60/15 and I was looking the other day and figure I got room for about an inch wider to the inside,outside is at the limit.8)

I presently have 275/60-15 Nitto Drag Radials on 15 x 8 rims on my 68 Barracuda with stock wheelwells. If you get the backspacing just right they should fit without an issue.

You can go as wide as you like with the right backspacing but the clearance between the front of the tire and body will limit how tall you can go. This is a 255/60-15 and its pretty close. I know that they make some 50 series tires that are wider but the same height.

Wheel Clearance Rear.jpg

I presently have 275/60-15 Nitto Drag Radials on 15 x 8 rims on my 68 Barracuda with stock wheelwells. If you get the backspacing just right they should fit without an issue.

Agreed.
For the street I run M/T ET Street 275/60/15s on 8.5" Centerline Prostocks with 4 7/8" backspace and std tubs.
I do however have SS sprigs which raise the rear some and make fitment easier.

You want to go wider not taller right?

What tire pressure are U running?

Why don't you use your other set of rears and bolt a set of slicks on them for the track?

I have been running 275/60/15 drag radials so far with no spring mods.

000_2155.jpg

000_2161.jpg

I have 275x50x15 MT ET Streets on 15x8 Ralleys with SS springs in the stock location.

Seem to be alot of guys running 275's on cudas with no mods....thats awesome. I have been thinking about going up..I am running 255/60/15 and my tire jounces just fine into the wheel tub.

John, could you post a few more pics of clearance? How tight is it on the upper/outer part of the fender?

-
Back