Driveshaft trouble

-

hippy 60

Reaction score
Hey I am looking for a rebuild kit for the ball and trunnion on my 64 Valiant driveshaft,Mine the rubber boot is busted and the grease leak out so if i could find a kit i would rebuild it.Thank's for any help.#-o

I ended up having mine converted to a regulator double u-joint style drive shaft with a slip joint. Looks like a big front drive shaft off a 4x4. But was worth it by a long shot to convert it!

Universal Joint Service Packages

Please note on below part – the “pin” will be longer than originals – just trim pin down to size prior to install and all will work fine.

368-37885 1960-66 A-Body

1960-66 B-Body

1960-66 C-Body Universal Joint Service Package (see photo)

Note: After 1965 all V8 cars did not use this

Ball & trunion $ 149 kit

319-38909 1960-66 A, B, C-body Universal Joint “Boot” by itself. $ 49 ea

I did this (top of photo) to my 65 Cuda "S" 4 speed car a number of years ago... Any drive shaft shop can make this using Spicer parts...

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

Attachments

• spicer.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 243
repack and CV joint boot. Cheap and effective. Are your 'balls' worn, any play? Man, that came out wrong.....

Agree with pishta. Instead of cv joint boot. Repack and use a shock boot which is pliable enough to get over b & t assembly or an easy on interlocking motorcycle fork boot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 242
The B&T comes apart so you dont need a split boot. But if you can find a pliable boot that fits over the trunion part, that would probably last for years.

been told many times by oldtime driveshaft shops, getting that 50 year old pin out and not have bad damage to the thing is a problem. I have several cars with that trunion joint, when ones goes South I KNOW I will spit out the $$ for that conversion joint. problem solved!!!!!!! that will be my solution!

fair enough. No experience driving that pin out myself.

Yup, If you don't get that Pin in PERFECT (centered) your ride with Shake or Vibrate while in motion... I ended up going the path of NO BOOT and the Very easy to replace Universal Joint.

I had over the years replaced that boot several times... and the last time, I was going down the freeway at a rather high speed and the boot let go... I tell you, the noise that broken boot made hitting the floor board really got my attention and frighted my young passengers!!!
I tried to once again repaire the old shaft, but it vibrated @ high speed, so I said "Screw That" and replaced the sucker with the Spicer setup... And have had no problems since!

I replaced mine with a kit from ebay, looks just like the kit from Brewers. Mine was original from 1962, pulled the balls, removed and cleaned the needle bearings in both, packed with grease and reinstalled. I never touched the trunion bar. Like said above, it needs to be perfectly centered. No play and should be good for years to come.

For those who had the slip joint mod done, what was the part cost and labor cost to have it done?

image.jpg

"Instead of cv joint boot. Repack and use a shock boot which is pliable enough to get over b & t assembly or an easy on interlocking motorcycle fork boot."

1.) Replacement boot install was a disaster
2.) built cone (3 funnels/ tape) for Uni-Boot install, but jumped to plan 3
3.) shock boot. We will see how it cleans up!

-
Back