Drivetrain Vibration

-
Tranny inspection done.
My extension housing bushing was bad.
Really bad..
Changed it.

I'll keep you updated

Was it easy to change? I'm fighting a vibration also.
Really easy. But I think I know the cause of the vibration.
The yoke on the driveshaft!!!!
As we installed the new slip yoke, we noticed that the yoke which is welded on the driveshaft was bent.
We corrected it and so the vibration almost disappeared!!!
We must have bent it as we installed a new u joint long time ago…
We once corrected it in the past, but not enough I guess…

Last edited:
Really easy. But I think I know the cause of the vibration.
The yoke on the drive shaft!!!!
As we installed the new slip yoke, we noticed that the yoke which is welded on the drive shaft was bent.
We corrected it and so the vibration almost disappeared!!!
We must have bent it as we installed a new u joint long time ago…
We once corrected it in the past, but not enough I guess…

So how does it come out, exactly?

Remove the seal and then do you have to get a bushing removal tool?

The driveshaft has been new balanced.
It was balanced years ago without the slip yoke and that caused a lot of vibrations.
After balancing I was able to drive 90 mph smooth af.
But now my tranny started leaking more and more..
And the vibrations got worse.

I don't want to rebuild it anymore..
So I have to go with a new one.

Any suggestions? Want to stay with 904. Was thinking about TCI Streetfighter..

Thanks to all of you :)

So it has been a while but I am back.

Installed a new TCI Streetfighter Transmission 904.
Just have some new problems.
It won’t shift into 3rd when hot.
Created a new thread according to that.

I’ll be back with more information as soon as my tranny shift like it should.

7FF8E404-338A-4514-AC4E-94EB67AA390B.jpeg

See post #56.....good luck. There are a number of transmission builder members here, start a new thread in the trans forum, they can help...

My transmission works great now after installing the missing seal in the direct drum. Now I am facing the vibrations again… In this video you can see the battery, hood release cable, hood and steering wheel shaking.

I just showed my son your crank picture. All I can tell you is he balances a lot of engines . He looked at this picture and started laughing. He said "Dad I never saw anything like that in my life". The reason I sent him the picture was because I never did either. Someone really screwed something up there. And that's the front counter weight of the engine, Holy ****.

img_4865-jpg.jpg

You need a crankshaft? I have good used stock stroke forged 340 cranks. My son can balance one if you send him a rod, piston, rings, and rod bearing .

You need a crankshaft? I have good used stock stroke forged 340 cranks. My son can balance one if you send him a rod, piston, rings, and rod bearing .
That would be great but I am located in Austria Europe..
So I just have to think about my next step.

I just showed my son your crank picture. All I can tell you is he balances a lot of engines . He looked at this picture and started laughing. He said "Dad I never saw anything like that in my life". The reason I sent him the picture was because I never did either. Someone really screwed something up there. And that's the front counter weight of the engine, Holy ****.

View attachment 1715916372
Who butchered your crank?

Would it be wise to buy a complete balanced stroker kit? It is already bored to the max..

Would it be wise to buy a complete balanced stroker kit? It is already bored to the max..
Good; as it takes the idiot factor out of the equation at the machine shop, Fast; as it arrived at the shop in a couple weeks. I waited longer to procure the cam than the stroker kit.... NOT CHEAP; Having the over bore re-sleeved penciled out better than customizing pistons and rings however. Went with the smaller SCAT rotating assembly with the 3.58 stroke. I kinda dig my little 373.

keep us posted on the vibration. I chased one years ahead of the above mentioned rebuild. The pinon angle adjustment, making sure that the bearing cups were centered in the yoke with bolts tightened to spec, and an old fashioned counter balance on the end of the tranny helped my case the most.

good luck!

Good; as it takes the idiot factor out of the equation at the machine shop, Fast; as it arrived at the shop in a couple weeks. I waited longer to procure the cam than the stroker kit.... NOT CHEAP; Having the over bore re-sleeved penciled out better than customizing pistons and rings however. Went with the smaller SCAT rotating assembly with the 3.58 stroke. I kinda dig my little 373.

keep us posted on the vibration. I chased one years ahead of the above mentioned rebuild. The pinon angle adjustment, making sure that the bearing cups were centered in the yoke with bolts tightened to spec, and an old fashioned counter balance on the end of the tranny helped my case the most.

good luck!
"counter balance on the end of the tranny"
Please enlighten us, perhaps some pic's.
Thanks in advance

At work just now, will get photos later. Kim is on it, I found one at a bone yard. Looks like the bottom of an exhaust clamp that weighs 2-3 pounds!

I have a B body. Originally 318/904. Unfortunately I tossed mine. It was about the size of a 16 oz soup can with rubber attachment to bracket. Still have the bracket. I didn't see anything on it in the service manual.

I am thinking about changing the crankshaft, rods and pistons back to stock. It won’t be a big power loss I guess..

-
Back