Dual or single AC belt

-

slmiller243

Reaction score
Not sure when Chrysler changed over to the 2 belt system for big block (383 in our case) engines equipped with AC. Seems like no matter what we do the AC belts squeal/slip when the motor is revved. I understand the reasoning of having a redundant belt but can't stand the squealing. I know earlier big blocks had a single belt for AC with a tensioner pulley and am contemplating switching over to that setup. Is this a mistake or is there another option?

Often, dual belts actually fight each other, due to wear on any pulley or the belts, or misalignment of various hardware.

if i remember right the belts on duel belt system. have to be a matched set. i think the belts have numbers that tell the length.

if i remember right the belts on duel belt system. have to be a matched set. i think the belts have numbers that tell the length.

Gates used to sell some matched sets. So far as I know, "later" the best you could do is match what were called the "batch code."

O'Reilly sells matched sets all day long.

O'Reilly sells matched sets all day long.

The batch quality, isn't as good anymore. At O'Reillys (1 1/2 years ago..), I had to use the belt measure tool ,to get a accurate pair of belts. Ran into this, more than once.

We went to several parts stores and tried to find "matched" sets. Very difficult but came up with something close. Still have belt slippage. So would it be a mistake to change to a single belt system?

That is sort of what I'm saying. If the pulleys have become worn, they will always fight even if matched. Plus, getting matched ones is??. I would certainly "try" it with one belt.

"Back then" on my 440 70 car, I had aftermarket hang on "knee knocker" AC. It only used one belt although was close to 1/2" wide class as I recall. "It worked just fine"

Hi,

Matched belt sets don't seem to be available anymore, I called Gates directly and they don't offer them anymore. I have a dual belt factory A/C set up on my 71 Charger and the belt tension is absolutely critical even with matched belts. The FSM gives specs. and ways to set them up. I use the special alternator holding tool and a torque wrench. When set up right they are fine. If even slightly too loose they squeal. It's a two person job as the force required torque wise is quite high and it takes one person on the torque wrench and one person to tighten the alternator holding bolts. The alternator is the "idler"tension adjustment in this system.

Does the fan run on any of the same belts, or is the fan completely separate?
I have seen fan and AC running together on the same belts squeal bad.

Just a thought.

called Gates directly and they don't offer them anymore..

Figures. Gates was once "big" in belts. I guess corp. bean counters.............

So far as automotive, I guess serpentine has drove that truck outta town. Did Gates say anything about ANY matched belts, IE industrial, as in "A" "B" or other general use belts?

Figures. Gates was once "big" in belts. I guess corp. bean counters.............

So far as automotive, I guess serpentine has drove that truck outta town. Did Gates say anything about ANY matched belts, IE industrial, as in "A" "B" or other general use belts?

I don't know about offering any matched belts. At the time, last year, I was only asking about the P/N's that covered the 383 in my Charger.

-
Back