Duel!

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Forgot the star of the movie was a 71 Valiant! 2 sixes and an 8 were filmed, look for the V8 badge in some of the shots, and see if you can see the odometer throughout the movie, the lower radiator hose should not have blown on a car with less that 5500 miles on it! (but probably didnt damage the 'ol six now, eh?) The '55 Peterbuilt couldn't go over 25 mph during filming but very good cinematography made it look like it could do 80. Pretty cool movie just for the car shots themselves.

Dennis Weaver starred in it. I thought it was a preposterous plot. Nice seeing a Mopar in the movies but this was just plain ridiculous.

I loved that movie.. as dumb as it was.. My thing is not only should that hose NOT have blown on a basically new car... but.. what are the odds that some off the beaten path gas station would just happen to have the hose?? LMAO ..

Dennis Weaver .............. preposterous plot. ............ ridiculous.................

It was more than preposterous, and so was the acting, and the entire idea. I think I watched it more to see if Dennis was gonna forget and start limping "Mr Dillon, Mr Dillon"

It's based upon an actual event that happened to the story's author ( can't remember his name right now ... ) .

Cary Loftin drove the truck(s) .

It was released as "The Movie of the Week" on CBS ( I believe ... ) in Novembre 1971 , and proved so popular in overseas' markets , that added scenes were filmed in c. late 1971 / early 1972 .

One Valiant is a 1970 model ( the V8 model with the aforementioned 1970-only "V-EIGHT" spears ) ;
Two were 225-powered models ; one 1971 model ( destroyed at the end ) , and one 1972 model used in the added scenes ( see below ) .

All of them were FE5 Red , and all of them wore the 1971-only , Plymouth-only 14" deluxe wheel covers .

In the opening scenes of the 1972 theatrical release , one can see the overhead sign for the Pasadena Freeway which still reads as CA 11 ; it's been CA 110 since 1981 , and was originally U.S. 66

The added scenes for the 1972 release were as follows :

- Driving through Arcadia / Los Angeles , up CA 11(0) to I-5 , then to CA 14 ;
- Interior "Phone Call" scene at the 1st fuel station ;
- Cafe scene at "Chuck's Cafe" ( building still exists , but is now a French Restaurant ) ;
- Broken down school bus scene ;
- Truck pushing Weaver and car toward a moving train ;
- Extended ending chase scenes ( probably edited from the original 1971 filming ) ;
- Voice overdubs at the beginning where Weaver is cussing at the truck .

The film was done in a classical Western-type theme ; Weaver was the star of "Gunsmoke" ( iirc ) .

Personally , I LOVE the movie !
I've seen both the 1971 T.V. Movie release , as well as the more-common theatrical release from 1972 .

It's based upon an actual event that happened to the story's author ( can't remember his name right now ... ) .

Cary Loftin drove the truck(s) .

It was released as "The Movie of the Week" on CBS ( I believe ... ) in Novembre 1971 , and proved so popular in overseas' markets , that added scenes were filmed in c. late 1971 / early 1972 .

One Valiant is a 1970 model ( the V8 model with the aforementioned 1970-only "V-EIGHT" spears ) ;
Two were 225-powered models ; one 1971 model ( destroyed at the end ) , and one 1972 model used in the added scenes ( see below ) .

All of them were FE5 Red , and all of them wore the 1971-only , Plymouth-only 14" deluxe wheel covers .

In the opening scenes of the 1972 theatrical release , one can see the overhead sign for the Pasadena Freeway which still reads as CA 11 ; it's been CA 110 since 1981 , and was originally U.S. 66

The added scenes for the 1972 release were as follows :

- Driving through Arcadia / Los Angeles , up CA 11(0) to I-5 , then to CA 14 ;
- Interior "Phone Call" scene at the 1st fuel station ;
- Cafe scene at "Chuck's Cafe" ( building still exists , but is now a French Restaurant ) ;
- Broken down school bus scene ;
- Truck pushing Weaver and car toward a moving train ;
- Extended ending chase scenes ( probably edited from the original 1971 filming ) ;
- Voice overdubs at the beginning where Weaver is cussing at the truck .

The film was done in a classical Western-type theme ; Weaver was the star of "Gunsmoke" ( iirc ) .

Personally , I LOVE the movie !
I've seen both the 1971 T.V. Movie release , as well as the more-common theatrical release from 1972 .
ahh , that explains why i was remembering scenes that were not on t.v. , and i thought they just shortened the movie to fit into a timeslot. that was bugging me after the movie as to stuff i remembered that just wasnt there. thanks for clearing that up for me.

I've always enjoyed that one. I got the collector's edition DVD. Weaver's character is a cheap ****, too. He orders a piece of swiss on rye and a glass of water in that little choke and puke. I thought it was a pretty impressive directing debut for Mr. Spielberg

i loved that movie i always start to laughin when that petes up his butt and he starts talking to himself in the rear view and when he takes out the fence at the cafe

It was one of those movies that really was stupid and should have sucked, but was pretty good. I liked it, and the Valiant was just a nice bonus. My wife even liked it, and that's saying a lot.

And...this was Steven Spielbergs first film as director. Two years later he directed Jaws.

I saw this post and had to watch it. It was an interesting film. I liked it, although it was kinda corny. I wonder if the truck driver escaped? You see the door fly open. I also went back and watched the famous dinner scene which was added later. A lot of people said it "made" the movie. I think it could have done without it

Remember the series, The Incredible Hulk?
Check out their use of footage........
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGK79shtevw"]YouTube - Never Give a Trucker an Even Break HD[/ame]

-
Back