dumb brits...or is it dumb me?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
somehow toe TV got tuned to some weird british tv show called "goblin works garage" (im not sure what they are gobbling down, but that's a whole 'nother debate

the argument that they are having which stumps me, is the following
(they are building a ford capri, whatever that is) and they cant design on putting in the small 302 or the BIGGER new ford coyote engine

is it me, or is that a stupid argument?

Here in the US that is a Mercury Capri which is basically a Mustang in a crappy party dress that looks, like hell.

Engine wise it is a thought process of ether modern or ol’skool cool. So that depends on where your heart or wallet is at.

my issue wasn't with new or old , per say, but them labeling the 302 as "small" and the 5.0 as big
I mean, 302 is 297 more then 5, isn't it?

:poke:

I'm not sure what Toe TV is, but I wish the Motor Trend channel would stop airing those shitty British car shows. They always pick some car to restore like the Capri, an MG, or a Datsun, or some other foreign car that they call a "classic ". Not cars that are generally considered classic in our country . The worst is that Salvage Hunters. Those two bore me to sleep. I know some people like Top Gear, but again, it's usually about some car most in this country will never own. Even Wheeler Dealers has gotten lame after Edd China left.

I understand exterior dimensions are import when swapping engines, but to me, a 360, bored and stroked to 408 will always be bigger then a stock bore and stroke 383
Shoot, I'd even say a stroked small block Cheby 383 is just as big as a 383 big block mopar

I'm not sure what Toe TV is, but I wish the Motor Trend channel would stop airing those shitty British car shows. They always pick some car to restore like the Capri, an MG, or a Datsun, or some other foreign car that they call a "classic ". Not cars that are generally considered classic in our country . The worst is that Salvage Hunters. Those two bore me to sleep. I know some people like Top Gear, but again, it's usually about some car most in this country will never own. Even Wheeler Dealers has gotten lame after Edd China left.
"Toe tv" is a typo, it should read "the tv"

(According to that same channel, the next episode of wheeler dealers will feature an A body barracuda)

There was a ford capri sold in America.

2.8 v6 IIRC.

Wasn't a terrible car for a Euro ford.

ef6e14f5400d44c3d21fc8cb0179f0f5.jpg

Coyote motors have very wide heads. So dimensionally, Im sure thy are 4"+ wider than a pretty narrow 289/302.

^^^ I always laugh at those photo shoots of those cars. a hip couple looking intently onto their new car, in the middle of the serengeti.

There was a ford capri sold in America.

2.8 v6 IIRC.

Wasn't a terrible car for a Euro ford.

Was a POS. Had on in high school for a few weeks. Until it threw a rod. Mine was a v6, GF had one with a 4 cylinder. It blew up as well.

I took a 302 for a test ride in about summer of 70 . It wasn't bad. But when I took the 340 Swinger for a ride, I forgot all about that wee baby 302. As I recall the Capri was lighter than the same year same options, Mustang. Nearly 200 pounds kindof rings a bell.
As for the Coyote engine; there wouldn't be much Capri left after the install, and even less after the first test-ride.
Yeah I agree, and think everything about that conversation screams dumb.

I like the show but I don't go out of my way to watch it. I like wheeler dealer too but again I don't look for it. I found some streaming ones that I have been watching. I like to mix it up and learn from all of them.

I believe the "fox body" capri/mustang was introduced in late 78 or 79.

The euro capri I posted was a early to mid 70's offering.

somehow toe TV got tuned to some weird british tv show called "goblin works garage" (im not sure what they are gobbling down, but that's a whole 'nother debate

(they are building a ford capri, whatever that is) and they cant design on putting in the small 302 or the BIGGER new ford coyote engine

I suspect it's called that because they build turkeys.

I didn't read all these post on this subject, I couldn`t even watch the commercials advertising it !!
Dam sure aint watching the show !

I believe the "fox body" capri/mustang was introduced in late 78 or 79.

The euro capri I posted was a early to mid 70's offering.
'70-'78 Mercury Capri was a Ford of Europe product. '79-'86 Mercury Capri was U.S. made and based on the "Fox" Mustang. Same car with some unusual body parts grafted on. Then in '91-'94 they sold a little Aussie roadster Capri which nobody bought.

looks like its for sale on hemmings

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/capri/2282474.html

FB-IMG-1555808616595.jpg

funny thing is, they did a sketch of the car (kinda like the do on overhauling, but having a 8 year old do the drawing instead of chippie) and they were all like "wow, that looks like nothing we've ever seen before"
and im like, that's an AMX with a charger grille, come on

i agree with Desert Rat and watch most car shows.
Not every enthusiast is after maximum power. The Euro and JDM market is very hot right now.

the capri that the english had was a ford germany car and was considered their version of a mustang physically it would be no more than 3/4 the size of an a body more likely half the size and in australia we got the 1800 cc or the 3.0 v6 the vs was a fairly quick little car back in 1970 as it would have weighed just on a ton at the most

-
Back