dumb question number 9999

-

scampy72

Reaction score
so i need to tighten up the drums on my scamp cause theyre pulling to the left, so i was wondering on the adjustment from the back of the drum is up tight or is down tight? simple but dumb i know.

Pulling one way or the other may NOT be adjustment, I'd be for checking things, like:

Check tire pressure and take a good look at the tire tread for any wear patterns.

Does it steer good? If really not, I'd be looking for something loose in suspension

At the LEAST pull the drums and inspect them, uneven wear, both of drums and shoes, oil or other foreign material or damage to shoes, etc and of course lining wear and thickness

Have you tried using the automatic star wheel adjusters? Find an empty parking lot, put it in reverse, drive a little ways, then pump up the brakes until the car stops. Do this a few times and you might find you don't need to pull the wheels off.

Yep! :-D Hey, if it works and he doesn't get dirty, he'll thank me for sayin it too. LOL

But assuming you've seen Beavis and Butthead doing America, I can really get your blood going by adding fire ... and guns ... and cigarettes

so i need to tighten up the drums on my scamp cause theyre pulling to the left, so i was wondering on the adjustment from the back of the drum is up tight or is down tight? simple but dumb i know.
or. . . . . a hydraulic issue-wheel cylinder or brake hose.Went through that dilemna on my Valiant a while back

As an old guy who's "had" a few drum brake cars, I must disagree. Usually, drums just don't get that far out of adjustment left- to -right, unless there's something wrong, and if they are, that is, adjustment only, they usually "pull" (dive) when the brakes are first applied (because one side "hits" first) and then go back to "straight."

I say pull the drums and inspect 'em. After all, it's only your brakes.

Pull the drums, clean and inspect everything and put some new shoes on it. Inexpensive insurance.

You could also check and repack the wheel bearings while your there.

Oh and by the way the only dumb question is the one that's not asked.

But assuming you've seen Beavis and Butthead doing America, I can really get your blood going by adding fire ... and guns ... and cigarettes[/QUOTE]

She said fire......guns....and cigerettes!!!

ok so i guess a bit more info is needed. i replaced the front brake lines cause they went bad due to dry rot, well there i did check everything else and it did seem to be fine. also it does tend to go back to straight, the pull is pretty much just when i first apply the brakes. although i did just find out i cant re-register for another month cause the DMV screwed me again so well its off the road i might as well replace it all anyhow.

also just cause im curious, is it possible that since i replaced the line the pressure blew the wheel cylinder after i checked it?

Pull both drums off,inspect all parts mainly your adjusters.Put some anti-seize on the adjuster threads..reassemble after adjusting.

ok guys great advice but thesen are all things ive done already. the only thing i need to know is this.....

from the adjuster access point on the back of the drums, does up make them tighter or does down?

thanks again
-marc

I don't remember, but it just doesn't take that long to find out, in other words, almost everytime I crawl under a drum, I have to "try" them and see.

If you have self adjusters, it's easy--because you can only move them one way -- to tight. Otherwise, you have to jam a second screwdriver in there to release the ratchet.

ok i guess ill just have to go out there and see which way is which. 'scool. thanks anyway guys and gals. so anyway ill let you know what happens including if you all were right and i was a hard headed jack *** and need to replace it all. if i gotta take off the covers anyway then its all getting changed.

til next time

-marc

Rember, they're are no dumb questions, only dumb answers ( at least where i work).

Move tool up (outside of star wheel goes down) to tighten shoe adjustment.

The only stupid question (other than am I ugly) is one that is NOT asked.

ok i am now getting around to finally replacing the pads and in cant figure out how to get the drum off please HELP ME!!!!

The star adjusters will only turn one direction as long as everything is correct with them. Nine times out of ten, the adjustment will not cause a pull. What will though is a wheel cylinder leaking brake fluid on the shoes. That will cause them to grab on that side and pull. Also, the brake hoses are bad about becoming restricted with age. They will act like a one way check valve and can cause a pull that way.

just replaced the brake hoses and am seeing about wheel cylinders now. please check my other thread that i just posted about the wheel cylinders.
thanks
-marc

Did you pull the dust cap off, remove the cotter key and unscrew the one nut on the spindle?

not yet wasnt sure that was what i had to do and wanted to ask and be sure first.

anyone know what size socket i need for the castle nut? i dont have one that big and need to go buy one.

You should be able to get it with an adjustable wrench or even channel locks if you have em.

-
Back