Duster Cowl Hood??

-

faster4231

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen or even has a picture of a duster with a cowl hood? I have a late 75 duster and a company here in CA sells 4" to 6" fiberglass cowl hoods I was curious. I cant find any snorkles out here or anything else that would look nice on the duster so just wondering, show me what you got or a pic of it.

75 duster slant conv to 318 flat black cragar SS 5 on 4 sbp

Thanks FABO8)

Mine is a '70 but you can get the idea of what it looks likes. Its 6 ridiculous inches of cowl :supz:

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 2,261
  • new_grill.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 2,359
6502651-5.70_winner.jpg

Nice guys, so I think it looks tough on the duster, I see some of the scoops (aftermarket) and they dont look as good I think I am leaning towards the cowl. Maybe 4" to keep it modest lol but nice BMXJAX. Wish I could see a 75 with the point on the hood and a cowl.

If all your after is clearence, it would be okay. They have no fuction, thats why they were on chevys.

look up the blue missle thread, you might like his hood.
Im not a fan of the cowl on mopar. just sayin.

My old boss(Heavy G,...RIP) mounted an old MoPar scoop backwards on a Daytona Turbo Z that he built. The scoop was low,flat and kinda wide like a super Bee hood, bought it outa MoPar performance book and made it functional. Worked very well and looked pretty hip. These are the first pics I've ever seen on a Duster,...I like but I think 2-4 inches would look better as well.

COWL Induction as it was introduced by Chevrolet back in the 70's is essentially
function-less and was done primarily as an ornamental attribute...... CHEVY ANYTHING on a MOPAR just looks OUT OF PLACE ( IMHO)

why not put a FORD TEARDROP they look cool on FORDS
140.jpg

OR maybe a Pontiac reverse scoop they look cool on Pontiacs
http://image20.webshots.com/20/2/60/30/199426030sxHDxH_fs.jpg

OR possibly just stick with something MOPAR
http://www.campbellenterprises.com/images/MPparts/tools, accy. paint/hoodscoop.jpg

Lol, a cowl hood doesn't work. We need facts, air pressure readings, etc, off of your measurements and testing. Prove the comments are not magazine bench racing.

Where do nascrap cup/nationwide/trucks draw air from for the air cleaners?

Back to my cave... LOL

My old boss(Heavy G,...RIP) mounted an old MoPar scoop backwards on a Daytona Turbo Z that he built. The scoop was low,flat and kinda wide like a super Bee hood, bought it outa MoPar performance book and made it functional. Worked very well and looked pretty hip. These are the first pics I've ever seen on a Duster,...I like but I think 2-4 inches would look better as well.
Originally when built, the Turbo Z had cooling prob's, cause he built the hell out of thing, bored and balanced 2.2, 10mm over bore, Intercooler, Injectors, ECM, Shaved head,.etc,.Parts came from Mother Mopar,and everything was supposed to work in harmony (but we know how often that works out)...anyways, he took before mentioned hood scoop, measured and cut over the factory semi funtional louvers on the hood, rerouted the air tubes to the intercooler mnounted in front of the radiator,mounted it backwards and damn if the thing actually cooled things down a bit. Different kind of car to be sure, but it did look cool once it was painted to match his 73 6pak RR complete w/white strobe stripes. We didn't take air press. readings or anything like that ( no NASA science done at that dealership at night)and I've never seen another like It

Ok lol I get the cowl hood chevys thing lol funny, now I havnt been able to find a hood here in CA from any of the stock dusters that carried them , the closest one has been in Las Vegas and they wanted $500 too high for my taste. I am only dropping a 318 and may beef it up a little I just dont like the 75' hood, and a scoop or anything looks way better. Any suggestions? I dont know what I think of those fake tap on after markets either, seems cheesy to me to be completly about the look

Ya 6" is ridiculous but I got the hood for $80.... Cowls were introduced by Chevy true, but I'm a hot rod guy who believes in taking what looks and works good from all makes and using it to better my build. I have no problem with using a originally Chevy style hood, or a Ford 9" rear end for that matter in my Mopar. But to each his own. I admit Mopar style scoops look best and I'd have used one instead if I could of picked one up for $80.

FYI- "The old cowl induction hoods used raised center section that ran back to the base of the windshield. Instead of having the opening on the front of the hood scoop, it was on the back. This allows the carb to pull its air from the relatively high pressure area at the base of the
windshield, providing a very mild passive supercharging effect and possibly a few
more horsepower. When a moving gas like air is brought to a halt, there is an
attendant rise in pressure (the kinetic energy is converted to static pressure).
Bernoulli's equation illustrates this: P + (rho*V**2)/2 = constant"
(http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/DanJonesAerodynamics.html)

Ok lol I get the cowl hood chevys thing lol funny, now I havnt been able to find a hood here in CA from any of the stock dusters that carried them , the closest one has been in Las Vegas and they wanted $500 too high for my taste. I am only dropping a 318 and may beef it up a little I just dont like the 75' hood, and a scoop or anything looks way better. Any suggestions? I dont know what I think of those fake tap on after markets either, seems cheesy to me to be completly about the look

Summit/Jegs sells steel cowls that you can bolt/weld to your stock hood. You just gotta be ok with cutting your hood for the opening.... Maybe you can find a scoop to bolt on as well but I'm not sure about that one.

I think that **** looks awesome can you pm me the links you found for them I want one. I dont care if its a chevy thing there just gonna see tail lights anyway.

Not a Duster, but here's a cowl scoop on a Demon or two and a Dart. :tongue9:

Wylde1.

Attachments

• SouthKOS.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 5,227
  • nats05demon.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,808
  • screemn1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,786
  • robnhisdmn.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,902
  • INDYDART.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,839
Here is the shell for the induction part of the scoop for the "Blue Missile"™
After I have the tranny in place I can take the block I have and measure exactly where the center of the air cleaner will be.
Then I can get to work on the actuated part of the scoop.
When all of that is completed I will weld and blend in the induction shell to the hood.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo191.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,860
  • Photo192.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,765
Not a Duster, but here's a cowl scoop on a Demon or two and a Dart. :tongue9:

Wylde1.

ooh wooow! :love7::downtown:

Here is a link to AAR quality fiberglass, they make a bolt on fiberglass 6pack hood i have been wanting to get. They also have some twin snorkel and cowl lift off hoods.

Personal i think the 6pack or stock hoods look the best. I love how the 6pack hood follows the original lines of the hood 73-76 .:thumblef:

http://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/cart2/?cPath=30

Picture%20031.jpg

In my opinion, the 1972-73 oem Mopar dual snorkel scoop is hard to beat for function & looks.
It's a bolt on scoop, that makes a easy installation & no problem to seal to the carburator.

Here is the shell for the induction part of the scoop for the "Blue Missile"™
After I have the tranny in place I can take the block I have and measure exactly where the center of the air cleaner will be.
Then I can get to work on the actuated part of the scoop.
When all of that is completed I will weld and blend in the induction shell to the hood.
Andrew
Mad Max meets Death Race,...I love It, I'd drive It to fire calls just to scare the crap outa the tourista's...

(If Its the start of tourist season, can we shoot em???):evil2:

-
Back